• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about WAXED COTTON JACKETS

Reaction score
Viv: No problem with wax transfer. It has a tacky touch at first, but that goes away.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
sweet, picked up the black one for $314 shipped from UK. Thanks for the rec's...that Barbour Intl is perfect

From some other sites, they all said the Intl jacket runs roomy so I sized down to 36 which hopefully was the right call. I dont plan on wearing thick chunky sweaters under, just a light/med one with a long sleeve shirt, at most.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
sweet, picked up the black one for $314 shipped from UK. Thanks for the rec's...that Barbour Intl is perfect

From some other sites, they all said the Intl jacket runs roomy so I sized down to 36 which hopefully was the right call. I dont plan on wearing thick chunky sweaters under, just a light/med one with a long sleeve shirt, at most.

I've found that all Barbour outerwear runs large - made for lots of layering. iirc, you are slightly bigger than I am, so a size 36 should be fine for you if you are only going to wear a shirt and light sweather underneath.

Reaction score
+1

Barbour jackets look great sized down, though less practical. (You work fast, GS!)

(Damn, I kinda want an International now...)

DMcG

Reaction score
For people looking for waxed cotton jackets that aren't ridiculously stiff I'd recommend checking out the Filson Cover Cloth jackets. I recently bought the bomber style and like it a lot. I'll probably add one of their zip-in wool wests for colder weather wear.

Oi Polloi has some good shots of it but all of their pictures show it with the optional detachable hood.

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Filson...tter-2171.html

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The international looks beautiful. Looking forward to pics, GS.

I have a waxed jacket from J crew that's a direct analogy to the Beaufort. I don't wear it unless weather dictates, these days--I'd prefer the silhouette of the bedale
frown.gif

I associate Barbours with $$, though, and worry that bedales and beauforts all look too, I dunno, "connemara."

EDIT: it was user familyman who waxed his own pointer chore coat.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
+1

Barbour jackets look great sized down, though less practical. (You work fast, GS!)

(Damn, I kinda want an International now...)

haha I dont **** around. and I'd seen that jacket quite a bit before to know I dug it, but always thought it was really pricey. I only went $14 over budget on this thing

*Gus, thanks for the oipolloi link, they have specific measurements on there and it sounds like a size 36 will be a perfect fit for me

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^^ you're in sweden right? You found that was warm enough with a sweater underneath for Nordic winter?

Yup. You'll be fine I think, it all depends on what the jacket is lined with, waxed cotton itself has no problem with winter temperatures.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I´ve been wanting a brown International for quite some time, but they are quite pricey... also unsure of sizing, but I guess that can be arranged. The Cowen commando jacket looks great aswell, as do the Trooper jacket. I would want one roomey enough for a heavy sweater, but not huge with a thinner one either...

Looking forward to pics Get Smart!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Actually, I could see you in the Barbour International Jacket, if only because McQueen wore it.

From their site re sizing:

# Dress Size 4: Jacket size 34
# Dress size 6: Jacket size 36
# Dress Size 8: Jacket Size 38
# Dress Size 10: Jacket Size 40
# Dress Size 12: Jacket Size 42

Damn, I had no idea I was a size 12 in a dress.

lefty

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive had my eye on the Barbour Vintage International Jacket for a while (its brown instead of black and doesn't have that big yellow label on the right pocket). Im kinda shakey on the fit so I decided not to drop $300-400 on it.

Please post some pics when you get it , GS.

imightbechad

Reaction score
GS,

though I'm sure it goes unspoken, how about some pics when you get the thing (or after your euro trip!)

Chad

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Yea, def will post fit pics once I get it...and hopefully the yellow tag will be easily removable

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a waxed cotton Fred Perry harrington? I saw one in Chicago but passed on it and I'm kicking myself now. It was made in England.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads