1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about WAXED COTTON JACKETS

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Oct 23, 2007.

1. DMcG

DMcG Well-Known Member

For people looking for waxed cotton jackets that aren't ridiculously stiff I'd recommend checking out the Filson Cover Cloth jackets. I recently bought the bomber style and like it a lot. I'll probably add one of their zip-in wool wests for colder weather wear.

Oi Polloi has some good shots of it but all of their pictures show it with the optional detachable hood.

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Filson...tter-2171.html

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

The international looks beautiful. Looking forward to pics, GS.

I have a waxed jacket from J crew that's a direct analogy to the Beaufort. I don't wear it unless weather dictates, these days--I'd prefer the silhouette of the bedale [​IMG] .

I associate Barbours with $$, though, and worry that bedales and beauforts all look too, I dunno, "connemara."

EDIT: it was user familyman who waxed his own pointer chore coat.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

+1

Barbour jackets look great sized down, though less practical. (You work fast, GS!)

(Damn, I kinda want an International now...)

haha I dont fuck around. and I'd seen that jacket quite a bit before to know I dug it, but always thought it was really pricey. I only went $14 over budget on this thing

*Gus, thanks for the oipolloi link, they have specific measurements on there and it sounds like a size 36 will be a perfect fit for me

4. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Well-Known Member

^^^ you're in sweden right? You found that was warm enough with a sweater underneath for Nordic winter?

Yup. You'll be fine I think, it all depends on what the jacket is lined with, waxed cotton itself has no problem with winter temperatures.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

I´ve been wanting a brown International for quite some time, but they are quite pricey... also unsure of sizing, but I guess that can be arranged. The Cowen commando jacket looks great aswell, as do the Trooper jacket. I would want one roomey enough for a heavy sweater, but not huge with a thinner one either...

Looking forward to pics Get Smart!

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Actually, I could see you in the Barbour International Jacket, if only because McQueen wore it.

From their site re sizing:

# Dress Size 4: Jacket size 34
    # Dress size 6: Jacket size 36
    # Dress Size 8: Jacket Size 38
    # Dress Size 10: Jacket Size 40
    # Dress Size 12: Jacket Size 42

Damn, I had no idea I was a size 12 in a dress.

lefty

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

Ive had my eye on the Barbour Vintage International Jacket for a while (its brown instead of black and doesn't have that big yellow label on the right pocket). Im kinda shakey on the fit so I decided not to drop $300-400 on it.

Please post some pics when you get it , GS.

8. imightbechad

imightbechad Well-Known Member

GS,

though I'm sure it goes unspoken, how about some pics when you get the thing (or after your euro trip!)

Chad

9. Get Smart

Yea, def will post fit pics once I get it...and hopefully the yellow tag will be easily removable

10. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get a waxed cotton Fred Perry harrington? I saw one in Chicago but passed on it and I'm kicking myself now. It was made in England.

11. Get Smart

I think the fredperry website has the waxed harrington on it right now.

12. Get Smart

Yes Fred Perry has it, on the first page of Ltd edition, but it doesnt say it's the waxed harrington but it is (I forget where I got this info from tho).....however it costs $350 + shipping so it aint cheap

13. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks, GS. I just couldn't find the shop option on there before. I think the black harrington is the same one I saw - although no mention of it being waxed and the sizing is SMLXL rather than chest size. Hmm. I wish that site had more info and photos.

14. London

London Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Noah waxed cotton jackets and a Rag & Bone one that I'm waiting to break out

15. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Well-Known Member

16. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

to take to Europe end of the year.
    Wha? Are you coming to europe? Where? When?? I keeel you if you don't drop by Brrrlin.[​IMG]

17. Get Smart

Hello Jason,

I see my latest article has possibly influenced you to go all the way [​IMG]

Enjoyed reading this discussion a lot too. The only thing I've got to add is that I also like this item :

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/shop.ph...et/p_1442.html

For those interested, I'm referring to this piece :

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...and-its-merits

Cheers,

Alex

Hey Alex! Good to see you drop in here again....yea your article came out at the same time these jackets came onto my radar so there was definitely a mindsynch going on

Wha? Are you coming to europe? Where? When?? I keeel you if you don't drop by Brrrlin.[​IMG]

BR...yea man we're in Rome, Paris, London for a whirlwind 2 week trip....no Berlin [​IMG] I know my fiancee (as well as me) would love to go to Germany since she was born there. I have friends in Sweden who i'd love to see as well but there's barely enough time for us to catch up with our friends in London & Rome [​IMG]

18. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Earlier, I carelessly posted about my Barbour Beaufort not being quite warm enough for the coldest weather, forgetting that there are different weights for the waxed cotton. The Beaufort is a medium-weight. A coat like the Northumbria uses heavy-weight; I handled a coworkers Northumbria and it had the heft of a sack of potatoes. It could handle Northeast Winters without problems.

19. Garage/Surf Rock

Garage/Surf Rock Well-Known Member

Is it literally waxed, and does the waxing melt off if put near heat?

20. Get Smart

Is it literally waxed, and does the waxing melt off if put near heat?

from what I've read the answer is probably yes, since it's advised not to wear in an upholstered vehicle since you could leave wax residue if the temps are too high

Barbour has a FAQ that is informative