• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about WAXED COTTON JACKETS

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It looks to be US size, esp since they don't even offer the International jacket outside of US (if you click on UK customers, you get a different set of items you can buy)

They seem to be *really* partial to US sales for some reason, since they are offering such a cheap price, practically free shipping, and offer to pay customs fees.

dave023

Reaction score
Hey ,

I owe that great international jacket too.

Do you wear the jacket with the belt?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't beleave no one has mentioned Drizabone. They are made in Australia and are totally bad ass. Very similar to Filson but are still made locally rather then by a faceless S.E. Asian state. Quality is tops and unlike filson have black as a color choice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I can't beleave no one has mentioned Drizabone. They are made in Australia and are totally bad ass. Very similar to Filson but are still made locally rather then by a faceless S.E. Asian state. Quality is tops and unlike filson have black as a color choice.
Drizabone mostly makes those long duster coats and their stuff isn't very available in the state. Also Filson stuff is mostly still made in Seattle. I agree it would be nice if they offered black and/or other colors.

bant

Reaction score
GetSmart - did you ever pick up that international jacket? Hows it fit? Any pics?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I should have the jacket on monday or tuesday

Will post thoughts and a pic afterwards

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I should have the jacket on monday or tuesday

Will post thoughts and a pic afterwards

i'm interested in the fit, what chest size are you get smart?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on a bunch of Barbour this weekend at the Barbour store in Stockholm. Sizing was pretty much all over the place, but smaller than I had imagined.
The international is imo a snug fit. I tried it on with a shirt and thick cardigan, and a 44 was too small for me then. It would have worked for just a shirt though.
The Wax parka is great, a nice slimmish fit, and looks great. I needed a Xl on that one for layering.
The jacket I liked the most was the Trooper (not sure if its the same as on the barbour site though, the one i tried on had a british flag on the arm and some weird/interesting pockets)... would get that if I had the money. The Cowen commando was far too short/wide to work for me.
They also had a really cool A-2 -ish jacket in waxed cotton, aswell as lovely cords and plaid shirts.

Lysol

Reaction score
FYI, Sierra Trading Post has some deep discounts on Barbour waxed jackets right now. I picked this up a few weeks ago.

I picked it up in both S and M because I was unsure of fit. I wear a 38 in most jackets and unfortunately both are too roomy for my likes. I'm curious why all EU sites I've seen selling Barbour have them sized in actual chest sizes and most US sites have the more androgynous S, M, L, XL sizing. Not sure if I'll have it tailored or flip on eBay. Great jacket though.

imightbechad

Reaction score
lysol,

that's just the cotton shell version, isn't it?

from the pictures (and the style) it doesn't seem to be waxed.

chad

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i'm interested in the fit, what chest size are you get smart?

I have exactly 38" chest. I got the Size 36 Barbour since the consensus is they run roomy and I don't plan on doing any heavy/chunky sweater layering underneath. From a size chart I saw, if it's accurate, the 36 should measure about 44" around the chest which would be perfect

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This one could be cool:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...n-For-Men.html

f_95936_1.jpg

The pics on STP make everything look boring.

(please use forum link, yada yada)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The pics on STP make everything look boring.

(please use forum link, yada yada)

It's something about the lighting and background color, I think. But yes, with STP, you definitely need to look beyond the presentation. But that goes for a lot of webstores.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imightbechad
lysol,

that's just the cotton shell version, isn't it?

from the pictures (and the style) it doesn't seem to be waxed.

chad

indeed. they do make a waxed version of the bedale, however. i was a little OT.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Barbour Intl came today, it's pretty damn awesome. Better than I was expecting

Sizing down to 36 (from my usual 38) was perfect, it's still roomy enough for a mid weight sweater or lighter jacket (like a G9), and still looks fitted with just a shirt under.

I was fearing it'd be a sticky jacket with the waxing ,but it's got a pretty soft finish to it.

I'll throw a pic on tomorrows WAYWT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads