• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's no debate there. I'm going to max my 401(k). Only question is what I do with my old 401(k).

Apart from retirement plans most of my new investments are going into private funds. I'm also moving from a situation where all my comp was cash to one where I have equity so the asset allocation calculus changes quite a bit. Will save less and invest less until there's an exit of some kind.

As I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear, this is now a moot point. Thanks to serendipity, my new company is moving to Fidelity shortly, possibly even before I start, so I should have much better investment options and lower fees and will probably roll all of my previous 401(k)s over.

guyver00

Reaction score
Yeah, Tony Robbins and his new financial book. People like his schtick and figure his financial advice is also sound. I think I read a review on The Big Picture blog, it basically said Robbins' portfolio is heavy with bonds and not really applicable to the current low interest environment. Basically driving whilst looking into the rear view mirror.

chrisjr

Reaction score

Yeah, Tony Robbins and his new financial book. People like his schtick and figure his financial advice is also sound. I think I read a review on The Big Picture blog, it basically said Robbins' portfolio is heavy with bonds and not really applicable to the current low interest environment. Basically driving whilst looking into the rear view mirror.

The first "most helpful" review on AMZN is hilarious:
http://www.amazon.com/MONEY-Master-Game-Financial-Freedom/dp/1476757801

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

BABA & YHOO having a day. Glad I added to the positions earlier this week when the market was feeling shaky about their earnings. GM is the only major under performer in the portfolio. YTD portfolio is +7%

Yeah nice pop there on BABA. It's done that 100-120 range before, then it was 90's, then fell and seemed to bounce around low to mid 80's. I bought some around 78-80, and sold first thing this morning at 88. I know it could go higher, so I'm certainly not suggesting anyone else sell, but IMO when I see a jump like 10%+, how much echo is left tomorrow? I sold and took my profits and moved them elsewhere.

speaking of jumps... YELP!, wow, so far 25% up for the day. I sold mine at 47, maybe a little early but I'm happy with the jump. Takin' my moneyz and moving on.

What the hell happened to Whole Foods? Didn't they beat their earnings estimate?

That's what I mean when I made a point earlier how companies that are good solid guys that have done well for some reason are seeing weird and very large drops. I bought WFM and GMCR this morning (95/95 or so)

HIMX seems to be dropping constantly. Still think it's worth getting some (I bought more) considering the upside potential

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

speaking of jumps... YELP!, wow, so far 25% up for the day. I sold mine at 47, maybe a little early but I'm happy with the jump. Takin' my moneyz and moving on.

Looks like $YELP is just clawing its way back to where it was a month ago after that 30% loss on April 30th.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe my thinking is backwards on this, but I'm finding the trend of 'activist' investors, which take out a huge short position then go in a campaign against the respective company, to be both really annoying and to have very transparent motives.

A little romance would be nice, some mystery or drama....nope just a huge position, followed by the campaign trail...how dull.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday! Every single position is in the green!!! :slayer:

chrisjr

Reaction score

Maybe my thinking is backwards on this, but I'm finding the trend of 'activist' investors, which take out a huge short position then go in a campaign against the respective company, to be both really annoying and to have very transparent motives.

A little romance would be nice, some mystery or drama....nope just a huge position, followed by the campaign trail...how dull.

Fair, but there are also loads of activist investors that go long and aim to shake up management. Happy to get along for the ride on those.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fair, but there are also loads of activist investors that go long and aim to shake up management. Happy to get along for the ride on those.

I don't begrudge them all by any means. Some just seem to be trying their hardest to make a profit on a short position...

I'll be more specific;

Chanos criticizing Shell's decision to buy BG....one of his complaints was that the decision was 'out of the blue'....really...oil has dropped from $110~ last summer into the $60's and this guy thinks it's 'out of the blue' that the oil majors are on a buying binge.

I see it that they want to position themselves in LNG the same way Exxon did in purchasing XTO, which was also heavily criticized, however Tillerson said at the time he was making a long term (10,20,30 yr) play, not short term.

This seems to me to be a better way of getting the deal done than buying it when natural gas prices rise significantly.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate this, too. No nuance whatsoever.

This class of investor really needs its own term to distinguish it from the other activists, like those mentioned above. Assassin investors, perhaps? Judas investors? Brutus? Cassius? Benedict Arnold? Machiavellian? There must be something.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I hate this, too. No nuance whatsoever.

This class of investor really needs its own term to distinguish it from the other activists, like those mentioned above. Assassin investors, perhaps? Judas investors? Brutus? Cassius? Benedict Arnold? Machiavellian? There must be something.

Capitalists?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics