• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Linen Suit Advice

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a few linen suits made to round off my summer wardrobe and having recently gained a sort of one-off access to some great linen fabrics at bargain prices, the tailoring options seems to be best (moreover I haven't found good off the rack options here in India).

However, I'm concerned about drape/ fall/ fit given that it is a fabric I've never had tailored before. While I get that linen has its own characteristics, finding decent tailors in india is a struggle (for me). The admittedly worst examples I see are folks whose linen trousers look like voluminous sacks falling from their waist. As a side note, I'm not looking for advice on color, weight of material etc, as I've already purchased the cloth.

So, understanding that linen wrinkles/ falls in a different way, I'm looking for best practices to get a good long term fit. For example, I've read that linen will shrink a little so best to keep sleeves and pant lengths a little long. Then some people advice to start with a tight fit for both shirts, trousers and jacket because again they loosen up after a while.

My preference is to get a 'loose-ish' fit (but not a baggy fit; push comes to shove I'd prefer a tight fit over a really baggy fit, if I don't have any other options)

Advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are concerned about shrinkage then pre-wash the fabric. Linen can be a bit soft and the crotch area of my pants wore through fairly quickly, so make sure you get your tailor to do the appropriate and also keep some bits of fabric, just in case.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are concerned about shrinkage then pre-wash the fabric. Linen can be a bit soft and the crotch area of my pants wore through fairly quickly, so make sure you get your tailor to do the appropriate and also keep some bits of fabric, just in case.

Whoops.

Thanks, will let him know.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find a decent tailor he will know how to deal with the cloth - if you are intent on finding one in |India, I doubt that you will have much luck.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the last bit I don't disagree. The high priced fellows I tried all turned out to be mediocre or worse.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen is going to wrinkle and this will make jackets and trousers appear a bit shorter. I would get linen jackets and trousers at least 1/2 inch longer than you would normally get. You do not want to start with a tight fit with linen; it will only get tighter. If you have a suit that fits you well, I would simply base your linen suits off that but make the length adjustment. I think one can get away with linen trousers with a wider leg opening due to their casual nature, but if you are wearing it as part of a suit, I would keep the same leg opening you normally use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads