• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stupid s*** my roommate says

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere there's an internet tennis forum where one guy keeps posting about how he's gotten his gullible roommate to believe he doesn't know what Boston is, how to operate a computer, etc.--but it's OK, because the roommate is soooo annoying, he even wears minty green shorts and says stupid s*** like "Angela Lansbury is the hottest thing ever".
devil.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its prolly some sociology 101 experiment he has goin on

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
This is nauseating...a little while ago, after the Red Sox won, he goes "Hmmm never heard of them." I say, "Really? Boston Red Sox?" He replies with "Boston is a state, right?"

At this point, I just look at him, hoping beyond hope that it's all a joke. But he was stone-faced serious. So I go, "....no, it's a city." Roommate: "Ohhhhhhh, Texas, right?"

I'm gonna kill someone.

+1 that you are waaayyy too submissive with this guy. Be proud, be Mary, and stand up to this guy.

I also totally believe this anecdote. My girlfriend in law school, who had the most phenomenal work ethic (among other phenomenal attributes) that I've ever seen and pretty smart, was totally and completely apathetic about current events and the like. She actually thought Mexico was a state and had no idea who Colin Powell was. She won the national moot court championship though.

Many people just don't care.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
+1 that you are waaayyy too submissive with this guy. Be proud, be Mary, and stand up to this guy.

I also totally believe this anecdote. My girlfriend in law school, who had the most phenomenal work ethic (among other phenomenal attributes) that I've ever seen and pretty smart, was totally and completely apathetic about current events and the like. She actually thought Mexico was a state and had no idea who Colin Powell was. She won the national moot court championship though.

Many people just don't care.

This is nearly unbelievable. Colin Powell, I might understand. A lot of people just don't watch the news, don't pay attention to politics, or pop culture, etc. But not knowing that Mexico is a country? How could you not come across the information in school at some point? Everybody still has to take history in middle school, high school, and college right? How could you miss the references to it in a movie at least once? Don't you learn the 50 states in elementary school? Isn't it obvious on any map of North America. That's amazing. Never mind the fact that if something like that comes up in front of a potential client, it could be an actual problem.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Connie,

Your avatar (the clothed figure) bears a resemblance to your roommate. Is this intentional?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nauseating...a little while ago, after the Red Sox won, he goes "Hmmm never heard of them." I say, "Really? Boston Red Sox?" He replies with "Boston is a state, right?"

At this point, I just look at him, hoping beyond hope that it's all a joke. But he was stone-faced serious. So I go, "....no, it's a city." Roommate: "Ohhhhhhh, Texas, right?"

Are you sure it's not because of your thick Irish accent?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
This is nearly unbelievable. Colin Powell, I might understand. A lot of people just don't watch the news, don't pay attention to politics, or pop culture, etc. But not knowing that Mexico is a country? How could you not come across the information in school at some point? Everybody still has to take history in middle school, high school, and college right? How could you miss the references to it in a movie at least once? Don't you learn the 50 states in elementary school? Isn't it obvious on any map of North America. That's amazing. Never mind the fact that if something like that comes up in front of a potential client, it could be an actual problem.

Made this argument (gently) myself quite a few times. I focused more on the "potential client" part. Believe me, this was the tip of the iceberg - we were watching Troy and I explained that the legend of Achilles and the dipping in the pool and whatnot. I finished with, so that's why he has part of the body named for him. She pauses a little, and says "Armpit"? (As in Brad Pitt). I laughed ****** off and so did she, after a scary pause. To this day, I'm pretty sure she wasn't kidding. She's now a very successful trial attorney. Hard work, social intelligence, and stunning good looks will apparently get you further than being a bookworm.

My point was that you'd be amazed at the ignorance of the average human - hence my distaste for pure democracy.

kakemono

Reaction score
This is all so hard to believe, but I have to look back on when I worked in a factory for a summer and a 43 year old guy was next to me. I told him I was from Washington - so we started talking about the Seattle Mariners... and then it happened... he moved the conversation to the Washington Redskins. Oops, honest mistake, he thought Washington Redskins were in Washington State...

WRONG!!!

He thought Seattle was in Washington DC and didint know there was a state called Washington. I soon thereafter developed a hemmeroid

Histrion

Reaction score
Your girlfriend scares me. Then again, someone in my law school didn't know who Winston Churchill was. She's not a top student by any means, mind you.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Made this argument (gently) myself quite a few times. I focused more on the "potential client" part. Believe me, this was the tip of the iceberg - we were watching Troy and I explained that the legend of Achilles and the dipping in the pool and whatnot. I finished with, so that's why he has part of the body named for him. She pauses a little, and says "Armpit"? (As in Brad Pitt). I laughed ****** off and so did she, after a scary pause. To this day, I'm pretty sure she wasn't kidding. She's now a very successful trial attorney. Hard work, social intelligence, and stunning good looks will apparently get you further than being a bookworm.

My point was that you'd be amazed at the ignorance of the average human - hence my distaste for pure democracy.

...wait a minute, I think I know this girl. I think she was the salutatorian at my high school. j/k
wink.gif

The girl I knew was almost an idiot-savant... gorgeous, but clueless. She could do things like remember exactly what day any given date in history was (like, June 5, 1983 and she would reply, "That was a Tuesday and a new moon" and she was always right).

But, with things like the above example, she would do exactly that (armpit for Brad Pitt, etc.) In fact, we gave up taking her to the movies with us because she never... EVER... could follow plotlines or got what was going on. Nevertheless, she passed her bar exam with flying colors and now earns about 17 times more than I do.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm telling you, he's totally serious. There are some extremely stupid people in this country's universities.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Stop being passive aggressive and tell him to **** off, jesus christ.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...)There are some extremely stupid people in this country's universities.

I have friends who think you need a degree to be ironic, but I disagree.

tounge.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you, he's totally serious. There are some extremely stupid people in this country's universities.

Although he was born in the U.S., he spent most of his adult life (7 years) in Nigeria, right? Why do you assume that he is stupid just because he doesn`t know American things (Red Sox, Boston, BBQ chicken, CNN, etc.)?

OK...he should know CNN
laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
At FIT (that's Fashion Institute of Techonology) about half the class didn't know who Anna Wintour was and I as the only person of 30 to know who Andre Leon Talley was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads