• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ErikW

Reaction score
Need some sizing advice - I normally wear an 8.5D US. For SC, would you guys recommend a 7.5F UK?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any of you guys ever bought shoes from Reto Zimmermann of Zimmermann & Kim in Seoul, South Korea? I got a quote from him yesterday, I'm assuming Zeto is a man, of $1550 USD, approximately, for a pair Saint Crispin's of my choice including shoe trees and eight week delivery. Does this sound about right? If anyone has had a good experience with other retailers of SC shoes feel free to pass that on if you could. Thanks.

sounds about right in price and wait times.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any of you guys ever bought shoes from Reto Zimmermann of Zimmermann & Kim in Seoul, South Korea? I got a quote from him yesterday, I'm assuming Zeto is a man, of $1550 USD, approximately, for a pair Saint Crispin's of my choice including shoe trees and eight week delivery. Does this sound about right? If anyone has had a good experience with other retailers of SC shoes feel free to pass that on if you could. Thanks.

A tad cheaper than what I pay. If you are in the US, you could be hit with stiff import taxes though.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A tad cheaper than what I pay. If you are in the US, you could be hit with stiff import taxes though.
jerrybrowne, as a matter of fact I live in Minnesota. Saint Crispin's are made in Eastern Europe so aren't I going to be subject to import duties no matter who I go through? Once I add on stuff like premium leathers and wood pegged soles, with my initials of course, I'm figuring it'll cost around $2k complete. I really like the resilience of shell cordovan, but the look of SC shoes screams calf to me. How is the crust calf that SC uses, and are there better shoe leather choices?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jerrybrowne, as a matter of fact I live in Minnesota. Saint Crispin's are made in Eastern Europe so aren't I going to be subject to import duties no matter who I go through? Once I add on stuff like premium leathers and wood pegged soles, with my initials of course, I'm figuring it'll cost around $2k complete. I really like the resilience of shell cordovan, but the look of SC shoes screams calf to me. How is the crust calf that SC uses, and are there better shoe leather choices?

Just buy from a US retailer and you won't have to worry about import duties at all. Leather Soul and Leffot are two that carry St. Crispin's. Both are excellent, although I have a strong preference for Leather Soul. They are the best.

The pegged waist is standard on St. C and I don't think they charge for putting initials on the sole (I could be wrong, however). Both are included in the ~$1600 that is normally charged for a standard calf skin shoe.

You are right that the crust calf that St. C uses is a "signature" look for them, and it is excellent. It can be difficult to care for, as the non polished parts spot with water quite easily.

Coldcava

Reaction score
I think I paid 1600 at Leffot.. And you can have them ship the shoes to you if you are out of state and save sales tax.

That said, I see a number of questions about sizing. I know the closest retailer may not be close by, but if you are spending 1600-2000 on a pair of shoes, it's a good excuse to spend a weekend with the wife/sig other, in NY/Toronto etc., and try them on.. I was still on the G&G kick, thinking I wanted a pair of Arrans and once I tried a few pairs on, Steven brought out the St Crispin Chukka and it was the actual fit and feel of the shoe that sold me on them. I knew it the moment they went on my feet that they were the ones.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily I'll be going to NYC over the holidays to meet my sister and to get measured for a Martin Greenfield MTM suit. Might as well stop by Leffot and try on some SC shoes.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what last would work the best for me in a SC derby dress shoe. I measure 11.5D US on the brannock device, ectomorph with a Morton's toe, "royal" second toe as we like to believe. Are there certain lasts that would work better for me than others in the SC line? Thanks, BeSpiff

CrackedCrab

Reaction score
The classic last is very comfortable with a roomy toe box
I would guess you would be 11 F1/2 in sc classic
Some go down a full I went down .5 and find F1/2 equivalent to a roomy us d not quite E
Get some they are amazing shoes. :slayer:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Riva has a roomier toe box than the classic. The Riva is essentially the same as the classic, but with a slight upward hump. For sizing I would recommend emailing Philip directly. He's great about getting back to you.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks CC and Patrick for the info. Could one of you send me Philips contact info? BTW, what SC's do you guys have? Thanks, BeSpiff

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic last is very comfortable with a roomy toe box
I would guess you would be 11 F1/2 in sc classic
Some go down a full I went down .5 and find F1/2 equivalent to a roomy us d not quite E
Get some they are amazing shoes.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I measure 10D Brannock, wears 10D/E US, but 8.5G in SC.

Nothing beats trying a pair on at the trunk show/retailer; sizing between different brands and associated lasts is different for everyone...

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

I measure 10D Brannock, wears 10D/E US, but 8.5G in SC.

Nothing beats trying a pair on at the trunk show/retailer; sizing between different brands and associated lasts is different for everyone...

Similar results here. My left foot is a 12D and right 11.5 between D and E on Brannock device. My first pair of St. Crispins were 10.5 F, which is okay but not ideal. Pair fitted by Phillip Carr will be 10.5F left foot and 10G right foot, with fitting adjustments at ball of foot on each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads