• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Still annoying, but I'd follow up with CS. Like I said the other day, there's no way they'd refuse to give you the deets when Rick would. I have to assume they read your inquiry as whether it would be listed on the site.

But, ya...annoying, and utterly pointless...which makes it doubly irritating.
I'm starting to believe that CS reps don't have ready access to this information.

Mr. Spectre

Reaction score
Bought one of the new ulsters and it came yesterday, the weight is 720g. This twill is also quite dense, which makes it feel thicker than it’s weight. I love this coat. I initially bought the camel ulster on sale, but was not satisfied by the weight of the cloth. So I returned and purchased this instead.

For sizing reference, I am a 40L but took a 42 in the ulster.
Did you size up so you can wear it over a sc?

JTrent82

Reaction score
No desire to be argumentative, of course, but that cannot be true. To gatekeep to such an extent that customer service cannot service customers is too incompetent to fathom!
I'd rather believe they don't know than that they know and won't tell us.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here has been to the store lately? I know most of you are not local but some of us are.

And I will emphasize on the word lately!

Perhaps they can chime in if the Spier team don’t know or they are playing Spy team instead.

I have and I left in less than 5 minutes to only order a couple of knitwear online to be delivered at home.

Rick will throw us a bone soon and we’ll jump all over those items once the sample goes live 🤣

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here has been to the store lately? I know most of you are not local but some of us are.

And I will emphasize on the word lately!

Perhaps they can chime in if the Spier team don’t know or they are playing Spy team instead.

I have and I left in less than 5 minutes to only order a couple of knitwear online to be delivered at home.

Rick will throw us a bone soon and we’ll jump all over those items once the sample goes live 🤣

So you went in and?

poppies77

Reaction score
Just got a sport coat in 42s contemporary fit. Sizing guide on their site claims the sleeves should be about 24.5", but they actually measure far longer. Is this typical for contemporary short with Spier and Mackay?
Anbody have any experience with contemporary short sport coat sleeve lengths? Just wondering if I'm always going to have to budget for major hemming if I ever purchase from S&M again.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anbody have any experience with contemporary short sport coat sleeve lengths? Just wondering if I'm always going to have to budget for major hemming if I ever purchase from S&M again.
I recently purchased a 3-piece suit in 38S contemporary. I'm 5'5" and don't think I have any issues with sleeve length. I usually get my shirts in 32/33 sleeve length if they have.

Unless the buttonholes were functional, it shouldn't be a major alteration.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 3-piece suit in 38S contemporary. I'm 5'5" and don't think I have any issues with sleeve length. I usually get my shirts in 32/33 sleeve length if they have.

Unless the buttonholes were functional, it shouldn't be a major alteration.
A special place in hell is reserved for people who get RTW jackets and suits that fit them perfectly straight out of the box, sleeve length included.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like for others to chime in! I am not going to say anything negative about my last visit.

I usually go in-store twice a year to purchase summer and winter gear. I'll be going to a wedding in December so I'll need to wear a suit for the first time since 2019.

I've posted before that ever since Mike left the store and Brandon is no longer working the floor, it's not the same experience. The ladies are nice enough but not very knowledgeable in Menswear, but the last time I was there the one girl seemed to know more of the product.

I can understand your negative experience, if I didn't know Spier's products I would probably look elsewhere. Anyway my one complaint is that they don't carry as much dress shirts in 32 sleeve length anymore because according to the employee they're not big sellers. Which is kinda silly because I'm a 32 and now I have to order shirts in 34 and then alter it. So I'm thinking, do I continue to do the same or go elsewhere?

They have issues they need to iron out. Starting with being more active on this affiliate thread :)

Edit - You should post your experience whether positive, neutral or negative but you can also be diplomatic about it

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually go in-store twice a year to purchase summer and winter gear. I'll be going to a wedding in December so I'll need to wear a suit for the first time since 2019.

I've posted before that ever since Mike left the store and Brandon is no longer working the floor, it's not the same experience. The ladies are nice enough but not very knowledgeable in Menswear, but the last time I was there the one girl seemed to know more of the product.

I can understand your negative experience, if I didn't know Spier's products I would probably look elsewhere. Anyway my one complaint is that they don't carry as much dress shirts in 32 sleeve length anymore because according to the employee they're not big sellers. Which is kinda silly because I'm a 32 and now I have to order shirts in 34 and then alter it. So I'm thinking, do I continue to do the same or go elsewhere?

They have issues they need to iron out. Starting with being more active on this affiliate thread :)

Edit - You should post your experience whether positive, neutral or negative but you can also be diplomatic about it
I had also stopped looking at shirts, because they don't seem to come in sleeve lengths anymore off the rack, but the size 15 that I thought wouldn't work for me actually has in the shirts that I bought this year. I'm usually between a 32 and 33 depending on the brand. I think the size 15 is speced at 34 for that size, but I don't find the sleeves to be too long.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Ok. So 16.5 Contemporary in anything thicker than your typical poplin or end on end fits me way too tight. I'm guessing us more athletic / muscular folks are basically out of luck at S&M?
For anyone wondering or interested, CS advised that the bicep size does increase a noticeable amount (YMMV) with a neck size increase, so I'm likely going to try swapping some 16.5 twill shirts for 17s and report back. From what I understand, you can look at their custom shirt defaults and see what the differences will be, more or less.

My particular scenario is detailed below:

Collar / Neck16.5017.00
Chest46.5048.50
Waist42.5044.50
Hip45.0047.00
Shoulder19.5020.00
Bicep17.7518.25
Armhole22.7523.25
Cuff9.009.50
Shirt Length29.0029.00

Last edited:

ZaneLim

Reaction score
You sized up? Seems like you really lucked out on the sleeve length!
Did you size up so you can wear it over a sc?
I tried the camel ulster in 40 and sleeves was slightly too short, the arms and cross back was quite tight on me. I wanted to exchange it for a 42 but it was sold out. So I already intended to purchase a size 42. I asked Rick too and he suggested to go with the 42 for this particular coat as the fabric is quite thick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads