• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iloveplaid

Reaction score
Anyone have any photos of the long sleeve polo? In either button down or spread collar? Trying to decide between which one looks more work casual appropriate. the button down looks like there’s too much white on it due to the collar buttons.

Also do these shrink on the first wash?

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any photos of the long sleeve polo? In either button down or spread collar? Trying to decide between which one looks more work casual appropriate. the button down looks like there’s too much white on it due to the collar buttons.

Also do these shrink on the first wash?
Definitely shrink.

tmckay2

Reaction score
I'm not really planning on buying any aoon but I was curious if anyone has experience with spiers shoes and their quality.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would like your advise on what sport coats to add to this winter collection?
Marling Evans undyed wool, ME check brown, burgundy puppytooth, olive check with orange and blue. Hopsack double breasted. I am big fan of earth tones. I don’t have houndstooth, herringbone jackets. So was thinking one of the current SM offering. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 4DB43902-613A-4FD3-9008-1B3BD513075D.jpeg
    4DB43902-613A-4FD3-9008-1B3BD513075D.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The silhouette on these pants look great. Mind if I ask your size and your approx weight and height?

Thanks. These are size 33 contemporary but had the waist taken in to about 31.5 or 32. I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs.

What is odd is my natural waist is 33 dead on but I had to take in the waist. My legs aren't massive but I did work out until recently.

I hemmed them to 29.5 inseam.

SteveMc

Reaction score
I'm not really planning on buying any aoon but I was curious if anyone has experience with spiers shoes and their quality.

There are different batches. Most recent batch is Blake stitched and made in China. Pervious batches were GYW and made in Portugal. I own a pair of suede loafers, GYW, made in Portugal and they look (and feel) very well made.

iloveplaid

Reaction score
Thanks. These are size 33 contemporary but had the waist taken in to about 31.5 or 32. I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs.

What is odd is my natural waist is 33 dead on but I had to take in the waist. My legs aren't massive but I did work out until recently.

I hemmed them to 29.5 inseam.
Thanks
I’m very similar in size
What is the leg opening (hem) ? It looks very slimmed down at the bottom. I’ve tried their slim and contemporary fits and the leg openings always looked too wide.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would like your advise on what sport coats to add to this winter collection?
Marling Evans undyed wool, ME check brown, burgundy puppytooth, olive check with orange and blue. Hopsack double breasted. I am big fan of earth tones. I don’t have houndstooth, herringbone jackets. So was thinking one of the current SM offering. Thank you!!

Nice collection! I would suggest adding a gray jacket next. With enough texture and/or pattern, a gray jacket is one of the more versatile choices and a bit of a must-have in any good SC collection imo. Since you lack any herringbone patterns, the gray herringbone Harris tweed they dropped last year would be perfect, but there's almost no sizes left unfortunately. I really like this white and black check one as well. Alternatively, this one would fill the houndstooth niche, but it looks more white and black than gray to me (unlike the check).

I'm a big fan of dark green jackets personally. A plain tweed jacket in a rich and deep shade of green would be a nice alternative to your dark brown and navy jackets in my view, but I don't think they have anything like that available at the moment. The Fox green PoW check is stunning, but the check pattern is very similar to your dark brown jacket. I would also consider adding a plain (or donegal) oatmeal jacket in a lighter and colder tone, but again, I don't think anything like that is currently available.

Since your only navy jacket is a double breasted hopsack, you could always add a single breasted navy tweed or something similar as well. You could never go wrong with that.

This would all depend on how you're wearing your jackets, though. Judging by your current wardrobe, it seems like you're wearing them in a pretty casual environment?

Last edited:

Imperatores

Reaction score

I can't comment on the Blake stitched shoes, but the GYW boots are really good for the money. I have a pair in dark brown suede, and they're probably my most worn casual boot. Love them. I would say they fall somewhere between Meermin and Carmina in terms of quality. Probably closer to Carmina. Really good value if you can get a pair on sale especially. I wish they'd add some pebble grain jumper boots to their lineup. A dark burgundy pebble grain would be awesome.

Allen22

Reaction score
I have many of the cable knits and added two of the English ribs this season. I actually like the ribs a little more. They are a bit heavier because of the stitch. Spongier. The collar keeps it shape better IMO.
Wish the off white was in stock so I could go for the trifecta.

Could you say something about shrinking/stretching - how do they behave?

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Nice collection! I would suggest adding a gray jacket next. With enough texture and/or pattern, a gray jacket is one of the more versatile choices and a bit of a must-have in any good SC collection imo. Since you lack any herringbone patterns, the gray herringbone Harris tweed they dropped last year would be perfect, but there's almost no sizes left unfortunately. I really like this white and black check one as well. Alternatively, this one would fill the houndstooth niche, but it looks more white and black than gray to me (unlike the check).

I'm a big fan of dark green jackets personally. A plain tweed jacket in a rich and deep shade of green would be a nice alternative to your dark brown and navy jackets in my view, but I don't think they have anything like that available at the moment. The Fox green PoW check is stunning, but the check pattern is very similar to your dark brown jacket. I would also consider adding a plain (or donegal) oatmeal jacket in a lighter and colder tone, but again, I don't think anything like that is currently available.

Since your only navy jacket is a double breasted hopsack, you could always add a single breasted navy tweed or something similar as well. You could never go wrong with that.

This would all depend on how you're wearing your jackets, though. Judging by your current wardrobe, it seems like you're wearing them in a pretty casual environment?

thank you very much for the detailed advice. Yes, business causal is what most people wear in my work place. It gets very cold over here, and I normally opt for flannel trousers, shirt/v neck or turtleneck with the sport coat and long coat on top :D
I am learning how to mix grey jackets with brown/beige shades through this forum and instagram. A look that wasn’t all that familiar before! That herringbone one looks stunning!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads