• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality wise, yes, no question. Practically, it depends on which fabrics we're talking about.

Here are two posts I made on the matter a year ago if that helps.

So saw there was only one M&E Medium Gray flannel trouser left in stock in 30 Contemp yesterday. Pulled the trigger, hoping they’re some nice trousers.

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
@DonRaphael
I just received VBC flannel trousers and they seem quite nice. Ordered before the M&E ones dropped. Would you return and get the M&E? I do live in a warmer climate so the lighter VBC might give me more wears. Thanks.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael
I just received VBC flannel trousers and they seem quite nice. Ordered before the M&E ones dropped. Would you return and get the M&E? I do live in a warmer climate so the lighter VBC might give me more wears. Thanks.
I can't tell you what to do, especially without more details. What's the weight of the VBC and the ME for example? Generally speaking, I don't wear any flannel that's less than 370g. In my experience, anything less is too flimsy and doesn't drape well.

The easiest way to decide, obviously, would be to order the ME as well, compare and keep the ones you prefer.

With that being said, it's all about preferences. Personally, I have several suits made out of VBC flannel. VBC flannel is good enough for me.

Mine are the woolen/worsted hybrid fabrics. They're cheaper than the English counterparts, but that's not the main reason behind my decision. My decision is based on practicality. The VBC hybrid fabrics don't sag as much and keeps their shape better than the traditional English woolen flannel fabrics and as such look sharper by the end of the day. Which saves me time as I don't have to iron the items after each wear. Plus, hybrid flannel is more durable than woolen flannel.

Sure, woolen flannel is "the real deal" in a classical sense, but you would barely notice the difference when looking at the fabrics.

IMG_20220908_094445.jpg
IMG_20220908_094500.jpg

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
I can't tell you what to do, especially without more details. What's the weight of the VBC and the ME for example? Generally speaking, I don't wear any flannel that's less than 370g. In my experience, anything less is too flimsy and doesn't drape well.

The easiest way to decide, obviously, would be to order the ME as well, compare and keep the ones you prefer.

With that being said, it's all about preferences. Personally, I have several suits made out of VBC flannel. VBC flannel is good enough for me.

Mine are the woolen/worsted hybrid fabrics. They're cheaper than the English counterparts, but that's not the main reason behind my decision. My decision is based on practicality. The VBC hybrid fabrics don't sag as much and keeps their shape better than the traditional English woolen flannel fabrics and as such look sharper by the end of the day. Which saves me time as I don't have to iron the items after each wear. Plus, hybrid flannel is more durable than woolen flannel.

Sure, woolen flannel is "the real deal" in a classical sense, but you would barely notice the difference when looking at the fabrics.

Thanks. Their current offerings are VBC 340 and ME 380. Both woolen.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Their current offerings are VBC 340 and ME 380. Both woolen.
What's the fabric code of the VBC?

The wright difference isn't much and if your concern is warmth, breathability and pourousity are determinant factors for such concerns more than fabric weight.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael
504.801/5-MTO VBC
16540/D4-MTO ME
I believe the VBC is one of those hybrid fabrics. It's 340-370g. I have the /4 mid gray and /6 charcoal among others (see the three left hand suits in the first pic in previous post and the two left hand suits in the second pic in previous post). It's a solid choice.

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @SpierTeam,
Is there anyway to add packing material between the top of the box and the items?

This is my second package where everything is filled to the brim with no packing material and I almost cut into the garments opening the box. Maybe just a me issue, but most online shops add something there

Hudson

Reaction score
Great coats are up as a preview. Disappointed to see the fabric is a wool blend: 20% nylon. The navy melton for the car coat and pea coat are both 100% wool. Wonder why the change in fabric? The weights seem the same: 750 g/m.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdamyVarga