• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some comparison shots. My tweed button boots are on the 804 last with a bombe waist, and the oxfords are on the 804 last with a japanese waist:

ruiantonio

Reaction score
I guess I can get it started!

Anyone interested in a GMTO for a pair of Enzo Bonafe captoe oxfords in vitello meleze? We need two more people!

• Style 3845MOD captoe oxford
  • 804 last
  • Vitello Meleze calf leather
  • Single leather sole
  • Natural lining
  • Handwelted with japanese waist (see photos here)

Interested parties:

@bm93
@matlee89

What would be the price?

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these CS *ways up from @Burzan as they didn't fit him well.

So, my initial reaction:
  • The grain leather is middle of the road quality. It is not cheap, but it is definitely not on the same lines as EG, and I wouldnt expect that. It seems a small tick below that of Carmina.
  • The suede isn't nearly as supple as the suede that Carmina uses on their boots.
  • The lined shaft is a little stiff. One of thew things I like about the real Galway boot (unlined shaft) is that they are so soft and supple on the shaft.

That may seem like a lot of negatives, but lets look at some positives:
  • They fit me fairly well. I am an 8/8e in EG 82 last and these fit fairly well in the 7.5... Maybe a hair bigger than the 82 last fits.
  • The build quality seems really good. I would put it on par with Carmina easily. (this is Danite, so I cant compare leather soles)
  • The price/quality ratio is really amazing, for what you are getting. This is leaps and bounds above that of AE, or dare I say possibly Alden.
I may wear them for a while to see how the leather takes a polish and holds a shine. So far, so good.

Bottom line:
  • As an entry level boot for someone getting into well made GYW shoe/boots, it is a win.
  • There are a few makers with better leathers, that are slightly more expensive.
  • Personally, I would prefer to spend a little more and get a notch up the food chain.

That all being said, they look great. Here is the proof.

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Picked these CS *ways up from @Burzan as they didn't fit him well.

So, my initial reaction:
  • The grain leather is middle of the road quality. It is not cheap, but it is definitely not on the same lines as EG, and I wouldnt expect that. It seems a small tick below that of Carmina.
  • The suede isn't nearly as supple as the suede that Carmina uses on their boots.
  • The lined shaft is a little stiff. One of thew things I like about the real Galway boot (unlined shaft) is that they are so soft and supple on the shaft.

That may seem like a lot of negatives, but lets look at some positives:
  • They fit me fairly well. I am an 8/8e in EG 82 last and these fit fairly well in the 7.5... Maybe a hair bigger than the 82 last fits.
  • The build quality seems really good. I would put it on par with Carmina easily. (this is Danite, so I cant compare leather soles)
  • The price/quality ratio is really amazing, for what you are getting. This is leaps and bounds above that of AE, or dare I say possibly Alden.
I may wear them for a while to see how the leather takes a polish and holds a shine. So far, so good.

Bottom line:
  • As an entry level boot for someone getting into well made GYW shoe/boots, it is a win.
  • There are a few makers with better leathers, that are slightly more expensive.
  • Personally, I would prefer to spend a little more and get a notch up the food chain.

That all being said, they look great. Here is the proof.

Thanks for your feedback! The quality of the Suede from CS is good, but I will agree that it can sometimes feel less lush than some other premium makers. We're working with CS regarding this point of improvement. Still, for the price point it's still great, as you point out. They are sourcing from the same tanneries as the top makers so I can't see why it could not be improved.

And please remember - an Edward Green Galway is about $1500, the Carlos Santos Field Boot is €375. I'd be very disappointed if there was no difference in the products.
biggrin.gif

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sourcing from the same tanneries is fine and well. More important is the hides received and the cuts of leather used. A maker like Lobb or EG might only make one pair of shoes from a hide, whereas CS or a similar level maker might make 4+ pairs. This among other things produces the price difference.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Growing as a company has it's perks, we've been able to secure better rates with FedEx and can now offer better world wide rates for shipping. Also, I've streamlined our shipping rates, instead of having several different rates, this was confusing some first time customers.

European Union
Free shipping for orders above 1500 SEK
Orders below 1500 SEK is 150 SEK (about €15)

Worldwide
Free FedEx Economy shipping for any order over 2000 SEK (about
Orders below 2000 SEK is 150 SEK (about $15)
Regular postal service for 300 SEK (about $30)

USA (rates unchanged)
Free shipping for orders over $50

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I noticed that the version you have in stock are described as "single leather sole" and the gmto model as "double leather sole." Are shoes in the pictures of the stock model a single leather sole? Because the soles appear as bulky as the gmto version.

I'll have @Dannefalk check this and update the articles if any mistake has been done.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with @bkotsko regarding build and overall quality.

Sadly I haven't even worn my pair yet so they've been sitting in their box for the last two months.

Such a shame.

Dannefalk

Reaction score
I noticed that the version you have in stock are described as "single leather sole" and the gmto model as "double leather sole." Are shoes in the pictures of the stock model a single leather sole? Because the soles appear as bulky as the gmto version.

You are absolutely correct, it's a double leather sole on the stock model as well!

/Oliver

vorkanz

Reaction score
Leaves. I just read that you are going to have a trunk show with Rubinacci next month and they are going to accept bespoke orders, any idea how often they are planning to visit the store for trunks if there are a bunch of bespoke orders? And do you have any price info for suits etc etc?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads