• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the architecture of the system allows that. I know that individual users can opt out of, say, email notifications, or thread alerts, but the sitewide alerts are not associated with that either. I'm not against it in concept, but I also am not sure that it's possible.
In preferences, there are 75 different classifications you can opt into for notifications ( I just counted ).
It should be easy to add "get alerts on sponsor sales or announcements".
In a perfect world it would be opt in, but I'm more than happy to make a one time trip to opt out.
You had a site banner up today for Spoo, I'm totally cool with that. The individual alerts are a different deal entirely.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In preferences, there are 75 different classifications you can opt into for notifications ( I just counted ).
It should be easy to add "get alerts on sponsor sales or announcements".
In a perfect world it would be opt in, but I'm more than happy to make a one time trip to opt out.
You had a site banner up today for Spoo, I'm totally cool with that. The individual alerts are a different deal entirely.
Unfortunately, conceptually easy things can be technically difficult or even impossible. Unfortunately, "should be simple" doesn't apply well to software. The sitewide alerts and the notifications have more in common within the forum architecture than the individualized notifications alerts, fwiw. one is designed to be broadcast sitewide, while the other is designed to be customized per user. It's not as bad as say, trying to allow individual members to opt out of having the reply button (impossible), but it's closer to that (allowing opt out of an essential feature) than to opt in or opt out of say, threads followed.

Just trying to provide some more in depth understanding of where we are at and why some things that seem to be hard are implemented quickly, while others that seem to be simple are not.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna' be annoyed too but to be honest I don't even know wtf you guys are talking about.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately, conceptually easy things can be technically difficult or even impossible. Unfortunately, "should be simple" doesn't apply well to software. The sitewide alerts and the notifications have more in common within the forum architecture than the individualized notifications alerts, fwiw. one is designed to be broadcast sitewide, while the other is designed to be customized per user. It's not as bad as say, trying to allow individual members to opt out of having the reply button (impossible), but it's closer to that (allowing opt out of an essential feature) than to opt in or opt out of say, threads followed.

Just trying to provide some more in depth understanding of where we are at and why some things that seem to be hard are implemented quickly, while others that seem to be simple are not.
I hope that Spoo is paying you handsomely for this service. I am subscribed to his thread, so nothing at all against him, but given that these "alerts" are solely for his business, the negative customer experience suggests that maybe turning it off until you can implement it in a user-friendly way is the correct response.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that Spoo is paying you handsomely for this service. I am subscribed to his thread, so nothing at all against him, but given that these "alerts" are solely for his business, the negative customer experience suggests that maybe turning it off until you can implement it in a user-friendly way is the correct response.
I agree with you that all other things being equal, that this would be the ideal course of action.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ambrose Hutchinson