• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sid Mashburn

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From first-hand experience, I can tell you those stores have done these exchanges. And I might even agree with you that those might be exceptions, but that is precisely the point. Those stores went out of there way to make sure a client was satisfied. In this situation, I was not even asking for my money back or an exchange. I was willing to pay the difference for a more expensive shoe. I was willing to give Sid more of my money to continue being a customer.

I mean, that's fine. But the store isn't wrong for not taking back used goods. Imagine the headache that would cause for retailers if that was a possibility.

If you were a store owner with millions invested in inventory, would you start just taking back used goods? On the promise that some new customer will come back again? Think of the loopholes that would open up to anyone and everyone who feels like returning a purchase because they changed their mind.

Sid Mashburn can't just resole the shoes, by the way. That would make them even worse than they are now because they'd risk slipping the gemming people scream about here.

Honestly, it's bizarre that you would chalk this up to Sid Mashburn's "bad customer service" and not just Allen Edmond's unusually good customer service. Those are not related. The fact that AE goes above and beyond what 99% of retailers do doesn't mean that those retailers are acting unreasonably.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not the ideal clientele for Sid, as most of the folks that come to the store are usually a Georgetown WASPY crowd. As a South Asian professional in the city, I certainly did not feel welcome or accommodated and my concerns were dismissed. Needless to say, I won't be shopping there again.

I don't know if you're insinuating that the people at Sid Mashburn are racist for not taking back used goods, but if you are, that's pretty dumb and ******.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, that's fine. But the store isn't wrong for not taking back used goods. Imagine the headache that would cause for retailers if that was a possibility.

If you were a store owner with millions invested in inventory, would you start just taking back used goods? On the promise that some new customer will come back again? Think of the loopholes that would open up to anyone and everyone who feels like returning a purchase because they changed their mind.

Sid Mashburn can't just resole the shoes, by the way. That would make them even worse than they are now because they'd risk slipping the gemming people scream about here.

Honestly, it's bizarre that you would chalk this up to Sid Mashburn's "bad customer service" and not just Allen Edmond's unusually good customer service. Those are not related. The fact that AE goes above and beyond what 99% of retailers do doesn't mean that those retailers are acting unreasonably.

AE does not usually take back used shoes. Maybe some CAs can be pressured to do that, but that's not the company policy.

Even if they did, I'd argue that it would not be a good thing. Vendors are not going to "eat the cost". They will pass the cost to other customers, and why would we want that?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, good grief. It looks like you serially return used goods. I imagine any retailer would be glad to not have you come back.

Do you think they will care that i have worn them for 3 days for an exchange? The tags are off but i still have them and i have the receipt.

Relevant: Incredible stories from LL Bean's return desk of people who took advantage of the company's satisfaction guarantee policy. The policy led to people returning 40 year-old flannel shirts that were nearly threadbare, dirty bed sheets that don’t fit the owner’s new bed, and broken chairs that fell off a car because the owner failed to secure it. One person returned a half-eaten cookie. Some "returned" stuff they found at yard sales for pennies on the dollar. Others treated LL Bean like a free rental house -- they come in, buy a few lawn chairs, go to a concert with them, and return the items the next day.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/591/get-your-moneys-worth

LL Bean ended up scraping the policy because people are awful.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you're insinuating that the people at Sid Mashburn are racist for not taking back used goods, but if you are, that's pretty dumb and ******.
I’m not sure, but I sense his suspicions about the store’s attitude are based on more data than their refusal to process the return.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m not sure, but I sense his suspicions about the store’s attitude are based on more data than their refusal to process the return.

I'm going to guess that someone who has wildly unreasonable expectations about customer service might also have wildly unreasonable beliefs about other things.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that someone who has wildly unreasonable expectations about customer service might also have wildly unreasonable beliefs about other things.
I'm gonna guess that you do understand racism exists, and that it's very real and tangible, right? Not saying that's the key driver for this scenario....

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess that you do understand racism exists, right? Not saying that's the key driver for this scenario....

Yes, it very much does. And willy nilly throwing the accusation around when a retailer won't take back used goods bolsters critics' arguments when people are trying to point to very real and meaningful examples of racism.

Maybe there was some racism at play here, but so far, the poster hasn't demonstrated anything but an unreasonable expectations and demands. Then left this nasty and gross note about racism against a company without any proof. Which is dumb and wrong.

Racism is a very real problem. It sucks that people have to constantly second guess themselves when facing it cause some people throw the term around so easily.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it very much does. And willy nilly throwing the accusation around when a retailer won't take back used goods bolsters critics' arguments when people are trying to point to very real and meaningful examples of racism.

Maybe there was some racism at play here, but so far, the poster hasn't demonstrated anything but an unreasonable expectations and demands. Then left this nasty and gross note about racism against a company without any proof. Which is dumb and wrong.

Racism is a very real problem. It sucks that people have to constantly second guess themselves when facing it cause some people throw the term around so easily.
you raise some valid points.

Sometimes it's not as outward in the way most people think, however it can be implicit in how people interact with one another. As a person of color, I can almost feel when I'm being treated differently.....

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you raise some valid points.

Sometimes it's not as outward in the way most people think, however it can be implicit in how people interact with one another. As a person of color, I can almost feel when I'm being treated differently.....

His quote:

Maybe I'm not the ideal clientele for Sid, as most of the folks that come to the store are usually a Georgetown WASPY crowd. As a South Asian professional in the city, I certainly did not feel welcome or accommodated and my concerns were dismissed

Maybe he was not accommodated and his concerns were dismissed because he had an unreasonable request that shouldn't be accommodated and his concerns should be dismissed?

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The OP did not use the term. He said:

Maybe I'm not the ideal clientele for Sid, as most of the folks that come to the store are usually a Georgetown WASPY crowd. As a South Asian professional in the city, I certainly did not feel welcome or accommodated and my concerns were dismissed.

And this may well be the case in that particular store.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His quote:

Maybe he was not accommodated and his concerns were dismissed because he had an unreasonable request that shouldn't be accommodated and his concerns should be dismissed?
Yes, you already made the point that maybe there was no racism at play. We’re trying to acknowledge that—without dismissing axedatta’s perspective on a situation he found himself in.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads