• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Chagall brings up a very good point about adding conditioner to the dyes. Also realize that what ever color you are using has the potential to change slightly based on the shade of leather you are dyeing. For example: putting red on a tan shoe will turn out slightly darker than if you're testing the color on a scrap piece of leather. All leathers react differently.

sfo423

Reaction score
Not the best images. The toe was 'toned down' but I'm kinda ho-hum w/the outcome. They are not cognac per-se anymore; more of an orange hue to the leather. Some sun will do them good. I see a good excuse to look for a new pair of cognac shoes.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

Not the best images. The toe was 'toned down' but I'm kinda ho-hum w/the outcome. They are not cognac per-se anymore; more of an orange hue to the leather. Some sun will do them good. I see a good excuse to look for a new pair of cognac shoes.

Sfo423 those look a lot better now. If your not happy with the outcome, adding some light brown or a tan to the shoe would do wonders over that color. Also it would help with the blending of the heel unless that was the effect you asked for.

sfo423

Reaction score

Sfo423 those look a lot better now. If your not happy with the outcome, adding some light brown or a tan to the shoe would do wonders over that color. Also it would help with the blending of the heel unless that was the effect you asked for.

The heel was darkened because they spilled cordovan dye on them.

Are you suggesting a light brown polish or something else?

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

The heel was darkened because they spilled cordovan dye on them.

Are you suggesting a light brown polish or something else?

Light brown polish will nothing in the short term. I am suggest stripping all the product(waxes and such)off the shoe and add some thinned out coats of tan or a light brown. This will help put that earth tone color back onto the shoe. However, this is just a suggestion looking at the color in the photos which I know can always be different in person.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice guide. 

Just to add, I find it helps dye penetrating by mixing dye with conditioners, specifically Bick4.  It allows dye to penetrate instead of just sitting on surface..

I find massaging the dye into the leather with my fingers helps too.
Not advisable if you have any social events (esp. first dates) in the next few days.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

I find massaging the dye into the leather with my fingers helps too.
Not advisable if you have any social events (esp. first dates) in the next few days.

Yes I experienced this the first time I tried working on shoes. The dye wouldn't completely come off for like a week lol.

Mr Monkstrap

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes cordovan leather can be antiqued also and the results can be quite beautiful due to the nature of the leather.

Which is the best product in your opinion?
I am talking about a pair of carmina's burgundy cordovan full brogue

Thanks for your answer

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Which is the best product in your opinion?
I am talking about a pair of carmina's burgundy cordovan full brogue

Thanks for your answer
I'm not sure I am understanding what you mean by best product. Are you referring to what are the best products to use for dyeing or antiquing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads