• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Twu2014 I'm really excited to work on the florsheims, and those saddle shoes are just begging for a patina lol

Last edited:

sfo423

Reaction score

After further inspection, the two soft stains on the outer toe edge is some kind of oil. Still a candidate for stripping & dye? Or, will the oiled section of the leather be doomed forever?

Update; I "gave" the shoes to Chris @ AShine. Pretty much told him my direction (antiqued toe to cover oiled stains) and gave him carte blanche to do as he wishes (keeping it as understated as possible). After foundation was laid, he started to strip it all back.

Here is the latest before they are ready for conditioning. Unfortunately, someone spilled CORDOVAN stain on the heel. After as good as cleaning as possible, the heel will now be slightly darkened (dirty heel look) so its not too evident. The tongue is lightly colored as well.

C'est la vie. I considered the shoes a loss (and they are seven years old) so not to worried about it.

TWU2014

Reaction score
Twu2014 I'm really excited to work on the florsheims, and those saddle shoes are just begging for a patina lol
My shoes are still in storage. Still moving into my new place. I will be shipping soon.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Sfo423 I'm not sure I would call those understated due to the heavy patina on the toes but it's a cool color combo and I'm sure there is no stain now:)

sfo423

Reaction score

Sfo423 I'm not sure I would call those understated due to the heavy patina on the toes but it's a cool color combo and I'm sure there is no stain now:)

I actually asked him to lighten up the toe. My model is this G&G.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

That isn't too hard to do.  Don't know why he only smeared paints on the toe caps when you've requested to lighten up the toes.

I agree. Is he going to lighten the toe on what he has already done. There is quite a difference in the g&g shoe pictured and what was done

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Newest work. Since we are coming up to boot season a little change was in order for these. Since these were to be worn with jeans also a mirror shine was not requested.

Before

After

jokb

Reaction score

Newest work. Since we are coming up to boot season a little change was in order for these. Since these were to be worn with jeans also a mirror shine was not requested.

Before

After

Nice work man. Cognac and burgundy tones if I'm correct?

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Only a hint of burgandy. More of a combination of different colors

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Is he going to lighten the toe on what he has already done. There is quite a difference in the g&g shoe pictured and what was done

I've heard the process of darkening w/ wax and strip to create layered effects. Or dye then stripe. But not dye and wax, then bleach...

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
I've heard the process of darkening w/ wax and strip to create layered effects. Or dye then stripe. But not dye and wax, then bleach...
Yes i have never heard of that either. just makes more work for no reason.

jokb

Reaction score
Yes i have never heard of that either. just makes more work for no reason.

Exactly. you finish all the way up to wax then bleach it? I can see using renomat but not bleach.

Wanted to post an old work of mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads