• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Beat up old pair of nettletons that seen better days.

Before

After

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Angela1233 I am confused about your posts. Are you looking to find out if these can be changed color or antiqued?

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of $60 Georgio Brutini double monks. The color got a little screwed up because I used a darker brown polish than the shoes color. Would this process cover up these spots? Is it even worth it to do this on inexpensive dress shoes?

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Torzano. It's really not worth doing this on a pair of Georgio brutini shoes. One of my friends gave me a pair to do and the only reason I entertained him was because of our friendship. The leather is quite bad and unfortunately is very hard to get a consistant color on the leather. I would save your money and invest in a higher quality shoe. For what it's worth here is the Georgio brutini shoe I did for my friend.

Fosterions

Reaction score

These are some AEs I picked up very cheaply on eBay. There are before pics I have yet to load, but this is after stripping with something called "Dry Cleaner" (no brand on the label) and a few coats of Renovateur and a resoling. I'm thinking these could be a good candidate for a first shot at antiquing. Between the creases and bits of old polish I feel as though they may begin to look antique with a proper polish on top of this, though what colour I'm not sure. It's probably too difficult to tell from this image, but I'm not sure I've done a sufficient job stripping them. Particularly along the brogueing and there are some dark spots along the sole.

I'm hoping for some suggestions on what people here would do with these (other than throw them out :p).

My inspiration right now....
I was thinking something like this maybe: 1299411 ?
Or these posted by Rider 99h00o.jpg
dandy-shoe-care-x-j-fitzpatrick-blog-exclusive-examples01_grande.jpg I really like this, probably my ideal, but I think they may be too advanced for me to aspire to.
DSCF4273_copia_grande.JPG These are gorgeous but I'm not sure that's the conservative business dress look I'm going for.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Fosterions, please do not throw out the shoes as there is always something that can be done to revive and make them beautiful again. I will say prep work is the key so if you feel there is old polish still on there you will want to strip,them some more. The pics by dandy shoe care is pretty advanced stuff. He is compounding multiple colors and layers to create those affects. All of which just takes time and practice. Just start with lighter colors first and work your way to the darker tones. Don't start with your desired color first or you won't get the affect your looking for.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the natural patina on those more than I'd like most "antiqued" finishes.

jokb

Reaction score
Yellowevo84 is correct. You gotta make sure that you prep it properly before applying dye. Make sure that all traces of previous polishes are gone.
No harm is doing something like Alexander's but start with light tones and work your way into the darker tones. You also gotta mix your colours with a lightening base or mix different colours to get that effect.

jokb

Reaction score

kenchi

Reaction score
Hey Crat may you describe the process? I have a two eyelet EG pair that i want do this on.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Kenchi If this is your first time dying a shoe, I would recommend trying this on a less expensive pair first so you get the hang of it. trying it on a pair of edward greens is gutsy especially if something goes wrong or you don't like it. Don't want to put you off but just giving my 2 cents
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads