• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt tie...no jacket?

Kappa Brandon

Reaction score
Im curious to see how you guys feel about this. Is it acceptable to just wear a shirt and tie with out a jacket or sweater? Are there any "rules" as far as this is concerned?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yes. The rule is, you will look like a DMV clerk or an entry level data processor, sent forward in time from 1983.

Don't do it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The NY DMV offers better service and is more efficient than it had been in the past.

The line process four people per hour, instead of three?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The NY DMV offers better service and is more efficient than it had been in the past.

glad to know modern IT equipment helped their efficiencies...

Here in California going to DMV is least as bad as going to US Postal Office on April 15th...

williamson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yes. The rule is, you will look like a DMV clerk or an entry level data processor, sent forward in time from 1983.

Don't do it.

I've said it before and I say it again - it's not nearly as scruffy as wearing a jacket with an open-necked shirt and without a tie - incongruous, sloppy and unfinished.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by williamson
I've said it before and I say it again - it's not nearly as scruffy as wearing a jacket with an open-necked shirt and without a tie - incongruous, sloppy and unfinished.

I think you are not going to find many people who agree.

John Ellis

Reaction score
I really think some of the responses to questions like this take no account of the exigencies of living in certain places. I used to have a house in Savannah GA which while a very pretty town gets unconscionably hot and sticky in high summer with no overnight cool downs. Generally speaking I used to wear a linen jacket, different colored pants and a tie in a business situ but did not think it a federal crime to occasionally discard the jacket but not the tie. Nor did I feel like a clerk at the MVA, nor did I wear a plastic pocket protector in my shirt pocket since my shirt didn't have a pocket. Yep a jackets best but you're not going to hell if you don't always have one particularly when everyone else is similarly garbed.

Kappa Brandon

Reaction score
ive always thought it looked funny too, but i must admit i do it from time to time when going to work. I think because the rest of the office does, and because i dont have enough suits to have a good rotation going. but thanks for the input guys, im going to do everything in my power to eradicate this practice from my life.

Kappa Brandon

Reaction score
about the jacket and open shirt, i dont think this is always in poor taste. You dont like this look in a casual setting either? I wouldn't wear it to work, but on a weekend or to dinner one evening...no?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Are we talking about occasionally leaving the office on a hot day without your jacket? Or leaving the house on a hot day without your jacket?

Former = venal sin.

Latter = mortal sin.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Are we talking about occasionally leaving the office on a hot day without your jacket? Or leaving the house on a hot day without your jacket?

Former = venal sin.

Latter = mortal sin.

Mortal I'm afraid Manton. Strolling the hot sticky streets of Savannah with tie but sans jacket was very often a reasonable concordat between weather and formality.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Then I would do what certain hat-hating Englishmen do when they go to events where hats are required: carry it. Carry the jacket to the office, hang it up, and carry it home.

Though, to be honest, I always wear my jacket into and out of Manhattan, in all weather, even if I don't wear it all day.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear a jacket, though I do not feel it is a mortal sin not to wear one.

I think it looks silly wear a jacket and tie when it's 100 degrees outside. That's why for me its jacket all year around, and in the summer polos and shirt no tie.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Then I would do what certain hat-hating Englishmen do when they go to events where hats are required: carry it. Carry the jacket to the office, hang it up, and carry it home.

Though, to be honest, I always wear my jacket into and out of Manhattan, in all weather, even if I don't wear it all day.

And I always wear mine in the case of NYC. But NYC is not Savannah. There is a quantum difference in heat/humidity, and the ambience of the place is different of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads