• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collar size?

bartil

Reaction score
When I measure myself loosely around the neck, I'm about 15.5 inches. What shirt collar size would be the most appropriate for this, 16 or 16.5 inches (regarding that the shirt will shrink a bit in the laundry)?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal preference, I like mine a little less snug. However, based on your description, it seems 16 might seem a good bet. Bear in mind that some manufacturers provide for shirnkage allowance to their shirts. Also, you might like to know that going up 1/2 a collar size may make a huge difference in the body measurements of the shirt.

Darnmor

Reaction score
If you measured loosely and you're 15.5, then I'd buy a 15.5 inch collared shirt. Unless you don't like things around your neck.

The measurement of a neck should be taken loosely and translated exactly. It is one of the few measurements that should hug you all the way around.

Measure one more time. This time hold the tape measure as tight as you'd like your collar to be. That measurement is the size of collar you need.

I assume you don't have other shirts to judge against.

The collar shouldn't shrink in the wash.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
If you measured loosely and you’re 15.5, then I’d buy a 15.5 inch collared shirt. Unless you don’t like things around your neck.

The measurement of a neck should be taken loosely and translated exactly. It is one of the few measurements that should hug you all the way around.

Measure one more time. This time hold the tape measure as tight as you’d like your collar to be. That measurement is the size of collar you need.

I assume you don’t have other shirts to judge against.

The collar shouldn’t shrink in the wash.

the first three sentences are correct. (sort of)
the last one is not.

cotton fabric will shrink between 1-3% linings in side will do the same and sometimes shrink more. pressing techniques also effect shrinkage.

all shirtmakers add anywhere from 1/2"-1" to the collar size. so if you buy a 15/12" collar and it feels perfect before laundering, then return it and get the next size larger.

Carl

Darnmor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the first three sentences are correct. (sort of)
the last one is not.

cotton fabric will shrink between 1-3% linings in side will do the same and sometimes shrink more. pressing techniques also effect shrinkage.

all shirtmakers add anywhere from 1/2"-1" to the collar size. so if you buy a 15/12" collar and it feels perfect before laundering, then return it and get the next size larger.

Carl

I'm intrigued. Please elaborate on "sort of".

"The collar shouldn't shrink in the wash." Refers to not needing to compensate for any change in size. Admittedly not worded with much precision.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
your wording is just off.

I measure customers by leaving one finger when I put the tape around the customers neck. I know my patterns have 1/2" built in for shrinkage.

If the cutomer like the fit of the collar that he is wearing. I will measure that as well.

I am still not sure what you mean by the collar shouldn't shrink in the wash.
they do shrink. and as I said, shirtmakers compensate for this by building shrinkage into the pattern. so a 15 1/2 collar measures larger then the stated number.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...then what Darnmor says is correct – if you measure at 15.5", and buy a 15.5", you don't need to worry about it ever becoming too small in the wash.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
...then what Darnmor says is correct – if you measure at 15.5", and buy a 15.5", you don't need to worry about it ever becoming too small in the wash.

that was the only statement that was correct and not confusing.

Darnmor

Reaction score
your wording is just off.

I measure customers by leaving one finger when I put the tape around the customers neck. I know my patterns have 1/2" built in for shrinkage.

If the cutomer like the fit of the collar that he is wearing. I will measure that as well.

I am still not sure what you mean by the collar shouldn't shrink in the wash.
they do shrink. and as I said, shirtmakers compensate for this by building shrinkage into the pattern. so a 15 1/2 collar measures larger then the stated number.

Kentishman was able to express the point better then I did.

I was supplying the OP with all the information they needed. Explaining to them that the shirt collar would shrink, but that it is so slight and will have already been compensated for, seemed unnecessary.

I mean no offence, but half an inch in your pattern for shrinkage as well as a finger behind the tape measure seams ever so excessive to me. I guess you and I make a very different shirt. Maybe, if you're will, we could make each other a shirt as a show of a appreciation from one crafts man to another.

bartil

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers! I asked because I've a shirt home that measures 16" in the collar which sits perfect around my neck, but when I tried a shirt from TM Lewin that was size Medium (16 1/4" according to the website), it was quite snugg and therefor I was worried it would shrink in the laundry (the Large size was way too big, though, in the collar). But according to your answers, it shouldn't be any problems with the medium sized shirt then, becuase it won't shrink so much that it would make a difference?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
Kentishman was able to express the point better then I did.

I was supplying the OP with all the information they needed. Explaining to them that the shirt collar would shrink, but that it is so slight and will have already been compensated for, seemed unnecessary.

I mean no offence, but half an inch in your pattern for shrinkage as well as a finger behind the tape measure seams ever so excessive to me. I guess you and I make a very different shirt. Maybe, if you're will, we could make each other a shirt as a show of a appreciation from one crafts man to another.

I didn't realize you were trade.
I aware of some interlinings coming out of Wendler that have 0 shrinkage. the problem with that is that the shirt fabric will still shrink. so that means you have to cut undersides larger sounds like a bit of a disater to me. unless you are shrinking fabric prior to cutting.
but then this customer is buying RTW. not everyone is using the highest quality fusables and sew-ins. so shrinkage can be more then 1/2" I have seen Brooks Brothers shirts that have been washed numerous times that are labeled 15.5 butstill measure 16.
so go figure.
I know what I do, I know what to expect in shrinkage allowence. who can say what others figure in.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what I do, I know what to expect in shrinkage allowence. who can say what others figure in.

You're surely right though - if one's collar is snug when purchased, one is always going to be on to a loss in the long run.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bartil
Thanks for your answers! I asked because I've a shirt home that measures 16" in the collar which sits perfect around my neck, but when I tried a shirt from TM Lewin that was size Medium (16 1/4" according to the website), it was quite snugg and therefor I was worried it would shrink in the laundry (the Large size was way too big, though, in the collar). But according to your answers, it shouldn't be any problems with the medium sized shirt then, becuase it won't shrink so much that it would make a difference?

My personal experience with TM lewin is that their collar shrinks. I suppose this could be due to its non-fused nature, since the fabric shrinks. Many people have experience that. However, the Customer Service at Lewin told me that shrinkage allowance is built into all their shirts.

Did you actually measure the shirt you have at home to conclude that it's 16" or did you just go by the label? That makes a difference because various makers have different shirnakge allowance.

If you say that the Lewin shirt is sized in medium or large choices etc, I am guessing it's the sport shirt you are refering to. In that case, I would imagine it would be worn open collar so I would choose the size that actually fits the body and shoulders better rather than relying on collar size.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you measure loosley at 15.5 then that is the size you want, do not go up a size or it will be too big in the neck, shoulders and boxy in the waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads