• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Chukka Decision

coinopcollector

Reaction score
I have two questions and need some advice on which shell cordovan chukka to buy and wearing them year round.

First, I can only buy one pair now and I am torn between the new AE Cappuccino Cordovan Dundee www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF3671_1_40000000001_-1
and the Alden Color 8's with the commando sole from Alden of Carmel. I want both but can only have one. I currently own/rotate 2 pairs of vintage (16 year old and owned from new) Hanover/Bostonian shell LWB's one in cordovan and the other black. C&J for BB Peal & Co. cordovan cap toe boot, and AE cordovan Randolph in black. As many here know, there is a short window to order the AE's in the Cuppaccino. Further, I am concerned that the Alden's from Alden of Carmel will sell out in my size.

Please give me your opinions on which to buy and help me decide.

My second question is this. Is it ok to wear Chukkas year round, for instance in the spring and summer with bill's khaki's etc.?

Thanks for your input.

ElDave

Reaction score
Commando sole will be a little more casual. Both are great, but I would say the AE is the better dressy chukka while the Alden is the better year-round chukka. Then again, I live in an area with sketchy weather, so that impacts my feelings on it.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going through the same exact thing right now, and have narrowed it down to almost the same 2. Yes I feel you can definitely wear a chukka all year. Even some dress boots but I prefer to wear shoes during the couple of months of piss poor sledding that Mn. offers. Or a chukka.

Called the AE store last week about the Dundee and the salesperson said the Dundee is identical to the Malvern in fit. Some have found the Malvern a bit tricky to fit so the AE store has ordered in a pair of the Malvern in my size to try on first. Someone else said they ordered their Dundee's from an AE store and they will allow them to not purchase if they don’t fit when they come in. I’m still undecided about the Dundee and would like to see one first. I'm not fond of the impending doom sales of the limited edition line.

I’m also looking at the Alden Ravello shell chukka. Several people have posted that they think the sole color on the Ravello makes it look dressier than the other colors. Looking at several pictures I understand what they mean, but that is personal preference.

Was originally thinking of having Commando soles put on my AE shell Daltons for winter. Have spent way too much time reading about different soles in the winter, plus real life experience. Hard packed snow and ice plus wet tiled marble floors are my primary issues so I want non-slip more than anything. In the end I am going with Vibram Raptor half soles. And likely will with the chukka after testing them out on the Dalton’s. Again just personal preference. Good luck!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the fit of the Barrie last. I'd pick based on what fits you well.

coinopcollector

Reaction score
I don't like the fit of the Barrie last. I'd pick based on what fits you well.

Unfortunately, I can't try either on and don't own comparable lasts in either maker. There is not an AE retailer near me. There are 2 Alden retailers reasonably close but neither stocks the shell chukka and I'm not going to ask either to order my size in under false pretense when I know if I do in fact buy the Alden I want the Comando Sole only offered by Alden of Carmel.
Fortunately, I have a fairly standard foot, 10 - 10.5 D and don't have fit problems and issues like so many others that I have read about on SF.

coinopcollector

Reaction score
I’m going through the same exact thing right now, and have narrowed it down to almost the same 2. Yes I feel you can definitely wear a chukka all year. Even some dress boots but I prefer to wear shoes during the couple of months of piss poor sledding that Mn. offers. Or a chukka.

Called the AE store last week about the Dundee and the salesperson said the Dundee is identical to the Malvern in fit. Some have found the Malvern a bit tricky to fit so the AE store has ordered in a pair of the Malvern in my size to try on first. Someone else said they ordered their Dundee's from an AE store and they will allow them to not purchase if they don’t fit when they come in. I’m still undecided about the Dundee and would like to see one first. I'm not fond of the impending doom sales of the limited edition line.

I’m also looking at the Alden Ravello shell chukka. Several people have posted that they think the sole color on the Ravello makes it look dressier than the other colors. Looking at several pictures I understand what they mean, but that is personal preference.

Was originally thinking of having Commando soles put on my AE shell Daltons for winter. Have spent way too much time reading about different soles in the winter, plus real life experience. Hard packed snow and ice plus wet tiled marble floors are my primary issues so I want non-slip more than anything. In the end I am going with Vibram Raptor half soles. And likely will with the chukka after testing them out on the Dalton’s. Again just personal preference. Good luck!

Have you made a choice? I am still pondering the options.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful with the Dundee. If it's built the same as the Malvern, it has really weird sizing. It sounds like no one knows...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you made a choice? I am still pondering the options.
I am taking off work tomorrow afternoon and driving 2 hours to the "local" AE store. The have ordered in a pair of Malvern to try and also picking up the 5th Street boot they ordered in for me. Like Superfluous says sounds like no one knows the true fit of the LE Dundee yet. Found on the Internet that the original Dundee was also on the #1 last however that may not mean much. Leaning toward the Dundee right now but will see how I feel about it after trying on the Malvern, even though it may be totally different than the Dundee. AE has updated the web page for the Dundee and sounds like it MAY be available after the 5th but will cost $125 more. Hard to tell and if I really like the Malvern will order the Dundee.

I can't try the Barrie last either without ordering it. Sounds like it may fit me well but I can't verify that. So bottom line is I want to make sure that I can return either one. Hopefully tomorrow night I will know for sure. I'm very interested in what you decide and how it turns out. Really wish I could try the Alden for fit. Even if I get the Dundee may do the Alden next year.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Dundees at my normal 9D size. I had not known about sizing issues with the Malvern and just figured that since other 1-last shoes fit me fine at 9D, the Dundee should too. So far every pair of AE/Alden/Tricker's I've gotten fits me fine at the Brannock 9D equivalent, so I'm hopeful the Dundee will too. I chose the Dundee because the Alden cigar shell chukka is a bit more than I want to spend at this time, and I think I actually like the overall shape of the Dundee better based on pictures I've seen. Hopefully it works out.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am taking off work tomorrow afternoon and driving 2 hours to the "local" AE store. The have ordered in a pair of Malvern to try and also picking up the 5th Street boot they ordered in for me. Like Superfluous says sounds like no one knows the true fit of the LE Dundee yet. Found on the Internet that the original Dundee was also on the #1 last however that may not mean much. Leaning toward the Dundee right now but will see how I feel about it after trying on the Malvern, even though it may be totally different than the Dundee. AE has updated the web page for the Dundee and sounds like it MAY be available after the 5th but will cost $125 more. Hard to tell and if I really like the Malvern will order the Dundee.

I can't try the Barrie last either without ordering it. Sounds like it may fit me well but I can't verify that. So bottom line is I want to make sure that I can return either one. Hopefully tomorrow night I will know for sure. I'm very interested in what you decide and how it turns out. Really wish I could try the Alden for fit. Even if I get the Dundee may do the Alden next year.

Why didnt you just have them shipped to your house? Would save a lot of time.

I ordered a pair of Dundees at my normal 9D size. I had not known about sizing issues with the Malvern and just figured that since other 1-last shoes fit me fine at 9D, the Dundee should too. So far every pair of AE/Alden/Tricker's I've gotten fits me fine at the Brannock 9D equivalent, so I'm hopeful the Dundee will too. I chose the Dundee because the Alden cigar shell chukka is a bit more than I want to spend at this time, and I think I actually like the overall shape of the Dundee better based on pictures I've seen. Hopefully it works out.

Risky games. I'm curious as to whether it would fit like Malvern. AE kinda goofed on this by not having a direct comparison for sizing and making it order only.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didnt you just have them shipped to your house? Would save a lot of time.
Risky games. I'm curious as to whether it would fit like Malvern. AE kinda goofed on this by not having a direct comparison for sizing and making it order only.

The 5th Street and Malvern are both on clearance and not available in my size. So I called the AE store and the salesperson called around and found both in my size and had them delivered to the store. She went the extra length to get me the 5th Street so I owe it to her to purchase them from her. I have no interest in purchasing the Malvern so did not feel it right to have them shipped to my house knowing that I was not going to keep them. And if I order the Dundee from her than I can see about level setting the issue of returning them if they don't fit in person, up front. Besides I get a chance to finally try some other lasts to see how they fit on me.

MacktasticGDogg it sounds like things should turn out well for you. They promise delivery in 3 weeks so hopefully you will have them soon!
smile.gif

Bateman87

Reaction score
I emailed them saying I owned Bayfields, which are on the same last, and asked if they recommend buying them in the same size - they said yes.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up taking the Malvern home with me tonight, they fit perfectly in my normal size.Liked them much better than I thought I would. They are somewhat similar to fit as my Bayfields in the same size, slightly snug but very comfortable. In my case I am feeling safe with ordering the Dundee in my normal size.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I ended up taking the Malvern home with me tonight, they fit perfectly in my normal size.Liked them much better than I thought I would. They are somewhat similar to fit as my Bayfields in the same size, slightly snug but very comfortable. In my case I am feeling safe with ordering the Dundee in my normal size.

That's good to hear about the fit of the Malvern. I'm feeling good about the Dundees and hopefully AE delivers on them.

Congrats on your new shoes!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well after wearing the Malvern on Friday to work I have to say that my experience turned out much like Superfluous and they are a bit tight in width. Developed a bit of a burn after a couple of hours walking in them later in the afternoon. Undecided as to stretch them or try and order a wider pair.

Also "heard" a rumor that the Dundee MAY become a regular staple of the AE lineup. Interested to hear the reports from the field as to fit. By waiting they will be more expensive than they are currently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads