• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharkskin Suit Jacket as Sport Coat ?

jc10202010

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if I could use a navy sharkskin suit jacket as a sport jacket for smart casual occasions where I would be wearing it over a t shirt, sport shirt, or a sweater. I know that one shouldn't usually do this with a suit jacket but since the jacket material has some mohair woven into it, and is somewhat rugged and textured I thought it would.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sharkskin is for suits IMO. I wouldn't wear it as a sportcoat personally but in reality I doubt most people would notice.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that it'd usually be a less than great idea.

But without pictures, it's impossible to provide you with a definite answer.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Certainly doesnt work to my eyes and the fact they say its "high lustre" makes it seem even more unlikely.

What are you thinking of wearing it with?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
Don't do it. Suit fabrics tend to be of smoother finish than sport coats, and sharkskin is on the extreme end of that spectrum. You would never see it made up as a sport coat, so it will be very obvious that it's split, just like when you see a guy wearing a pin striped "sport coat" that is clearly a suit.

jc10202010

Reaction score
In response to Astaroth, I was thinking of wearing it with jeans and some loafers but everyone made me see that it just won't work well. Thankyou to everyone who talked me out of it and saved me from looking odd.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

where I would be wearing it over a t shirt

It likely won't work well as a sport coat.

It'll work even worse as a sport coat worn over a t-shirt.

Admittedly, dinosaur that I am, I'm hard-pressed to think of many "sport coat over t-shirt" combinations which don't strike me as... unfortunate. But when the sport coat in question is, in fact, the top half of a sharkskin suit? Don't get me started.

You know, plenty of perfectly nice, essentially new condition sport coats can be found on eBay for pennies on the dollar. I've picked up a couple of Brooks Bros. sport coats this way for less than what the sales tax on their original retail price would have set me back. So if you really want a sport coat to wear on "smart casual occasions," why not just buy a sport coat? (Mind you, probably half the listed "sport coats" on eBay are, in fact, orphan suit jackets, but that still leaves half which are not.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads