• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle Shopping Suggestions?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
SAT score?

I am amused beyond words. Clearly you have a huge chip on your shoulder (and yes, I did go to an Ivy League university -- although my memory of my university days is rather fuzzy -- which probably puts you into an enormous rage, rambling on about "pompous elitist jerk" to borrow your earlier words -- although that was quite mild, compared to "screw your ****** attitude back into whatever socket you pulled it out of"). Well, I am sorry you didn't work hard enough to get into a good university (or any university). But that's no reason to go about spewing vulgary at anyone who disagrees with you, is it?

I personally have no chip on my shoulder about my or anyone elses schooling, and obviously I can stand toe to toe with the best on my own merit. I merely wished to refute your repeated attempts to belittle my intelligence, since you cannot provide any actual truthful content for this discussion. There are quite a few complete idiots who have graduated from Ivy League schools. I also believe that there are pompous elitist jerks who didn't attend college at all. Personally I don't distinguish between assholes regardless of their educational background. I only spew vulgarities at people who have earned them, and rest assured, your conduct in this thread has merited at least this much vulgarity.

While you wipe off your spittle of rage, let me simply point out one thing since I have no time to respond to your novel-length response:
Oh, you "choose not to respond"? How convenient is that? Blaming it on your poor time management is only an excuse. I believe you just cannot back up the presumptuous statements that you make. Which makes sense, since logically I have refuted all of them, and you have repeatedly tried to turn attention away from my refutations to make attacks on myself, the city in which I happen to live, and etc. instead of answering.

If you haven't tried what many other people call the best sushi and sashimi restaurant in Seattle (Shiki), how do you know Shiro's is the best in Seattle?
I don't. I never said it was the best. I said that I liked it best out of all the places I've been so far, I said it was widely regarded as the best, and I said that it had the freshest fish and the most knowledgeable sushi chef of anywhere I've ever been. Hows that for some reading comprehension for you?

Certainly it would be incovenient to try all Japanese restaurants, but surely you need to try all the major ones before you can pronounce which is best if only according to your own standards? (This is where what is known as LOGIC comes in handy).
I've been to probably 75% of the "better" sushi places in the Seattle/Eastside area and probably half a dozen or so in Tokyo, of which I'm not sure how prestigious or acclaimed they are, but they are family favorites. It just so happens that I've never gotten around to eating at Shiki. It doesn't help that its on Queen Anne, which is a neighborhood I'm seldom in. I think that the whole fugu thing may have biased me against eating there on the few occasions I've been in the neighborhood. So... my assertion that Shiro's is the best I've been to in Seattle encompasses probably 30 local sushi places. I feel that its a pretty good cross section of the establishments in the community. You may feel different, but frankly, I think I'm past the point of caring.

Look, I wish I had good food at Shiro's. I didn't. And no amount of "Well, food is only good at the bar-side" is going to placate me since I had good food at Shiki at table-side. And apparently enough patrons thought the same or worse to write about the place on Citysearch (whereas all reviews on Shiki were positive).
Whereas there are several mediocre or negative reviews of Shiki elsewhere. Arguing reviews is pointless, as I tried to stress earlier. Shiki has exactly 9 reviews on Citysearch. Not exactly an overwhelmingly fair showing. I am not making excuses for mediocre to poor table service or perhaps sub par sous-chefs. I am saying that when you go into Shiro's, sit in front of Shiro, and put your mouth in his hands - the experience beats all others in Seattle that I have had to this point. His reputation, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, stands.

You may call them idiots, but the weight of evidence is against you. You cannot simply invalidate all of their reviews by fiat as if you were God.
Lol... you are a nut dude. If you can invalidate 39 years of Seattle acclaimed head sushi chef experience by asserting that if one doesn't complete a 2 year Fugu apprenticeship in Japan they are unfit to cut your fish here in the US, I can certainly invalidate some reviews that have no bearing on my point in the conversation I am having with you. My assertion that Shiro's is the best I've been to in Seattle has nothing to do with sitting at a table and ordering what you are familiar and comfortable with. Therefore those reviews mean nothing to me, nor do they detract from my argument. This should have been very clear to you two pages ago.

Anyway, since you enjoy writing novels on a forum, apparently, you can have the last words. This will be my last message on the subject. Go ahead and spew the venom.
I only write as much as is necessary, but thank you for the honor of the "last word".

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I find it highly interesting that most of the "complaints" come from people sitting at a table. People sitting at tables (unless its really slow or you are personal friends with the sushi chef) don't get fish cut by the lead sushi chef. He is the head sushi chef because he is the most skilled as selecting, cutting, and recommending fish. His domain is the bar, his job can only be done there. When you have eight people within your reach that may have been waiting an hour for your personal attention, you cannot be concerned with making sushi for the people sitting 40 feet away who just walked in the door and ordered a numbered lunch combo. Table service is for plate dinners, not sushi. Table service sushi = trainee. Which at Shiro's has admittedly gone downhill a bit since Taichi (one of Shiro's best understudies) left to open Chiso. Which is also extremely well cut, fresh fish, and one of Seattle's best
People who sit at tables at sushi restaraunts are idiots. As when eating at any world class sushi establishment, you eat at the Sushi bar, sitting in front of the master. If you are an idiot, I nullify your review on citysearch.
I actually said, that people going to Shiro's expecting to get the best sushi, and who don't sit at the bar are idiots.
Just like you are an idiot if you go to Shiki expecting the best sushi and don't sit at the bar. Why? Because the person in the restaurant who knows the most about the sushi that he currently has is the guy behind the bar cutting it. Not you, and not the waitstaff.
If you are going to misquote me, and misrepresent my position on the matter, I will be forced to quote myself, to try and show you what was actually said, in context, so that maybe you can understand my point. Or at least everyone else here can see that you aren't actually paying attention to anything I'm saying and just trying to argue for the sake of argument, which happens to be something I'm rather good at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics