• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

CodPiece

Reaction score
Had an unproductive lunch hour hunting scents yesterday. Went to my local Nordstrom but all they had were the Chanel and Geurlain blockbusters, along with angel and maybe some Estee Lauder.

Highlights: I did sniff out the Versace Yellow Diamond (the SA tackled me) and then a spray from an adjacent counter of Clarins Eau Dynamisante had me veer 10m to sniff again. Both were nice, but not anything really striking.

Tried a second sniff of TF Violet Blonde at Sephora, but could not get an SA's attention to make a sample.

Today: I'm hoping that the raw power of Leu d'Issey will cut through this nonstop dreary weather. Basenoters say it's overplayed, but not here in the land of Gio and Tommy Bahama.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've got one in my LuckyScent cart right now just waiting to pull the trigger... Question - did you find it got a little overly dry and smokey in the drydown? I find that birch tar gives me a headache (Shalimar and L'Homme Sage both do this to me).
(...)

Actually, no - towards bathtime (7:30 p) I got mostly immortelle and saffron, pleasant but not overpowering. No smoke and certainly not dry. Normally I detest immortelle but Vasnier kept it well in check.

Today: Hermes Bel Ami. It's actually playing moderately well today, developing a cardamom woody presence.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

empty retail bottle? lemme know since I want to buy one (empty), otherwise PM me if you want some cheap juice to refill it with (I can tell you how to do it)

No, just a decant.

Tried a second sniff of TF Violet Blonde at Sephora, but could not get an SA's attention to make a sample.

How did you like it? I'm a big fan of VB, and I proselytize for it whenever I can! (Also, I don't think I've been spoken to by a Sephora SA even once in my life.)

Actually, no - towards bathtime (7:30 p) I got mostly immortelle and saffron, pleasant but not overpowering. No smoke and certainly not dry. Normally I detest immortelle but Vasnier kept it well in check.

This is exactly my experience too, FWIW (except the part about 7:30 bathtime).

Pre-shower: L'Etre Aime Homme. Unfortunately, Yann Vasnier did not keep the immortelle in check with this one. The two L'Etre Aime fragrances are the only two Divines that I don't like, both because of the immortelle.
SOTD: Datura Blanche by Keiko Mecheri. This one makes me happy; I think it will make a very good comfort scent. This might very well be FBW.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today with cool foggy weather - Kolnisch Juchten

Thomas, have you worn that more than once? Just wondering what your thoughts, or anyone's for that matter, on this scent. I love it but it's definitely not for everyone.

I'll tell you what it reminds me of, though - South African red wines, of which my favorites have this tar-like quality to them that I've always loved. It sounds strange but they're delicious.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ I have, actually and it's just so bizarre but dries down very well. I still get the brisket note, and ought to wear it again soon. I think this week is Assertive Scents Week.

owin

Reaction score
I dont know why but lately I'm addicted to terre d'hermes.

after terre like many perfumes smells like simple,

so i trust your taste, recommend me something to try, i will find a way to try it

CodPiece

Reaction score

How did you like it? I'm a big fan of VB, and I proselytize for it whenever I can!

It's beautiful. Really beautiful. It's one of the first fragrances that really does send me to a mental place (not an asylum, but a quiet, shady nook in a walled garden).

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giving Antaeus another run out today - toned down this time.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ I have, actually and it's just so bizarre but dries down very well. I still get the brisket note, and ought to wear it again soon. I think this week is Assertive Scents Week.

It actually reminds me a lot of Le Labo Patchouli 24.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Inc and Thomas. I'll try DLS one more time before buying a bottle/not.

Thanks, Master-Classter! I have to try some Montale scents in the next weeks anyway. Thinking of Black and White Aoud. Aus Liebe zum Duft has an amazing collection, are there other ones worth mentioning? Im open to new scents, just trying to broaden my horizon.

along the same lines, try CdG Wonderwood and Gucci PH 1 (the brown juice, square bottle, discontinued long ago I think). both are cedarwood and smoke notes, plus I think some black pepper too.

It actually reminds me a lot of Le Labo Patchouli 24.

huh, I did actually get a barbeque smokey wood/meat vibe of P24 too!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dont know why but lately I'm addicted to terre d'hermes.
after terre like many perfumes smells like simple,

so i trust your taste, recommend me something to try, i will find a way to try it

Is there a price range you have in mind? Are there any fragrances you specifically dislike?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the thoughts Inc and Thomas. I'll try DLS one more time before buying a bottle/not.
along the same lines, try CdG Wonderwood

If you like it, try Amouage - Honour Man and Prada les exclusivves No. 10 (Myrrhe). imo they smell better, more natural and of higher quality.

SotD: TFPB - Purple Patchouli. Quite good and sweet. I liked it. The drydown gets a little stinky, doesn't fit to that scent, imo.

Another STC package arrived today (after nine days, whereas I'm still waiting for packages that have been sent five weeks ago.. gotta understand German customs! :brick:), so I tried some of them:
SotN1: Chanel - Bois des îles parfum. I'm not so fond of aldehydes yet. My mother tried Chanel No. 5 again after a long time yesterday and it smelled like the thing you put in urinals that are supposed to neutralize bad smell. BDI is definitely much better, imo, but not my favorite one so far (anyhow, the drydown is pretty good). I may have to wear No. 22, BDi etc. a couple more times to really appreciate it though. We'll see.

SotN2: Xerjoff Oud Stars - Zafar. Very interesting. The opening was extremely fecal. But no civet in there. I guess it's this one is all about the oud. The pure oud I have from Agaraura isn't that fecal at all though (just animalic). Zafar gets smoother in the drydown. Then it's pure cambodjan 15-year-aged oud wiht a touch of intense. Definitely a great scent, but also very expensive. I think one should rather buy pure high-end oud and incense, unless one doesn't mind spending 800$/100ml for a scent. Worth a decant/sample though (got it as a daily chance special), as are all expensive scents, imo. There's a difference between scents you use on a regular basis and these ones, and a 2ml sample lasts a long time, especially if you have a dozen (or hundred) samples.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads