• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salary vs Suit prices

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

projectrtown

Reaction score
No, you missed the confusing part:

yacht: And how in the hell would you know how long a good suit lasts?

quad: oh, thats right, I forgot only you can afford good suits right?

yacht: Not only me, but certainly not you; by your own admission.

Yacht, I think, was referring to *how long a good suit lasts* when he said "certainly not you; by your own admission" based on the earlier thread. He was no referring to owning a good suit. This has been the source of all the confusion.

You are welcome.

quad: oh, thats right, I forgot only you can afford good suits right?

yacht: Not only me, but certainly not you; by your own admission.

quad: please share where I said that I can not afford a good suit?

yacht: Good for you! Next you can take reading lessions as that's not what I said.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+100 to QuadCam and projectrtown..
Finally, people who get it.

I love how the suckers here try to justify overspending by saying this crap will last 10 years.
For ****'s sake, people have suits that are OUTDATED INSIDE OF A YEAR (see jacket length debates)
Outside of shoes and belts, anything that's 10 years old is a remote outlier.
10 year old tie? Pizza explosion on a 4" spread.
Jackets? How are those massive lapels doing? And center vent? And length to your thighs? Oh, it's hunter green too?
Pants? How are those triple pleats, and the 15" rise, and the cuffs? Are fat wale cords back in style yet?
Shirts are disposable staples that stain. Even a $60,000 shirt isn't going to last 3 years (with regular use)

Buy your stuff EXPECTING it to be in the B&S trash heap inside of 3 years,
b/c that''s what's going to happen whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With some alterations from a good tailor, these suits fit fine, ppl comment and say they are nice, and I have had then for years (not wearing that often, but whatever) without any bubbling or other severe problems from the fusing.

If you want a real laugh, dig up the "pinch test" threads of suckers trying to tell the difference b/w fused, 1/2 canvas, and full.
They can't. Even when told exactly what to look for.
The only way was to pinch the lapels and spend 20 mins (and 15 posts) trying to decide if you can feel another layer,
and therefore decide if the suit is crap or not. ROFLMAO !! IF it's that hard to tell, trust me, it's not worth the difference, SUCKER

Last edited:

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+100 to QuadCam and projectrtown..
Finally, people who get it.

I love how the suckers here try to justify overspending by saying this crap will last 10 years.
For ****'s sake, people have suits that are OUTDATED INSIDE OF A YEAR (see jacket length debates)
Jackets? How are those massive lapels doing? And center vent? And length to your thighs? Oh, it's hunter green too?
Pants? How are those triple pleats, and the 15" rise, and the cuffs? Are fat wale cords back in style yet?
Shirts are disposable staples that stain. Even a $60,000 shirt isn't going to last 3 years (with regular use)

Buy your stuff EXPECTING it to be in the B&S trash heap inside of 3 years,
b/c that''s what's going to happen whether you like it or not.

You seem to be bound by a premise that you're not stating: If I buy based on a then current fashion then:

But if I don't, then what.

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
This thread is ridiculous. If you want to buy a bespoke suit, go ahead and do it. If you want to buy an OTR DKNY suit, go ahead and do it. If you can find a way to get either, by spending, borrowing, or stealing, then you will have them, and any further question about the matter should be relegated to one's own self alone.

projectrtown

Reaction score
I hate to push these threads to the point of sounding contentious, but I think you are making too-neat a distinction between what is fashionable and what you find appealing. I find it hard to believe that the current fashions exert no influence, or only a negligible influence, on your taste. If your taste was hermetically sealed from the rest of culture, your choices would seem extremely bizarre to others. If you sample liberally from the "fashion", then I assume that some subset of the choices that seem sage at the moment will seem suspect years from now.

At the very least that has been my own experience -- that even I find my taste to evolve before the life of my suit is up. Hence I am giving away, or otherwise disposing of perfectly good suits.

You seem to be bound by a premise that you're not stating: If I buy based on a then current fashion then:

But if I don't, then what.

JDMills

Reaction score

Sure, I'll play: (I'm talking about how much you actually spend, not MSRP)

<1k suit $0 to $25,000
1k - 2k suit $25,001 to $50,000
2k suit $50,001 to $100,000
2k - 3k suit $100,001 to $150,000
3k+ suit
$150,001 to $200,000 and up

[/quote]

^^ This, right now I make **** money but I prefer to have a few better things than a lot of crap. But if and when I do start making 100k+ id be looking to spend around 2-3k on a suit, maybe its priority or whatever but if you have a family and kids and a mortgage then obviously this will change.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to push these threads to the point of sounding contentious, but I think you are making too-neat a distinction between what is fashionable and what you find appealing. I find it hard to believe that the current fashions exert no influence, or only a negligible influence, on your taste. If your taste was hermetically sealed from the rest of culture, your choices would seem extremely bizarre to others. If you sample liberally from the "fashion", then I assume that some subset of the choices that seem sage at the moment will seem suspect years from now.

At the very least that has been my own experience -- that even I find my taste to evolve before the life of my suit is up. Hence I am giving away, or otherwise disposing of perfectly good suits.
Believe it. My lapel width is based on my face and shoulders, as is my tie width. I get pleats becuuse I like them, I don't like skinny pegged pants so I don't order them to be cut that way. etc. Yes it's a lounge suit, but it's porportional to me not to what ever is the rage this month. To a "fashionista" trying forever to look "hip" , I'll bet it sounds bizarre.

Last edited:

deepitm

Reaction score

If you didn't spend all your money on clothing, perhaps property ownership would be more attainable for you.
Learn to delay gratification. This is how the upper class lives.

This is styleforum dude, not a Rich Dad Poor Dad seminar at the Learning Annex so maybe you should lay off the pushing of property ownership.

Actually, I got to the upper class by shorting the balls off your mortgage in '08. So thanks for the sick suits I bought after my bonus.

benny

Reaction score
Every man should own one great suit that can last him for years. It is better to invest in one or two good $1K/$2K suits than a dozen mediocre $500 suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics