• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

There are some contemporary minded Savile Row tailors that are targeting a demographic of guys that are into SLP etc. rather than the old British/Italian aesthetic. E.g. Kilgour:

Kilgour house style is absolutely not that though, I assume it is some rtw work or a special project/demo of their capabilities. Their house style is much cooler IMHO...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Did someone just compare SLP to Aston Martin? Last I checked, they don't sell Aston Martin's in mega-malls. SLP is about as limited as Mercedes Benz. I can't tell you how many times I see people wearing Wyatt's and L01 or L17 and a flannel every single day. SLP is easily the new Louis Vuitton. As much as I like Hedi's designs and SLP, there is nothing unique about SLP and very little design actually going through. Even comparing SLP to Apple is a bit of a stretch. Most of the jackets don't even have pockets to put your hands in (I realize this may be a 'design' choice). SLP might not be overpriced when you compare to an artisan designer or whatever current hyped brand is out at the moment, i.e. Yeezy, Off-White, etc. It might even seem like a bargain when you compare to Dior or Balmain, however the last two are of much higher quality and really do contain more design and functionality so that's maybe an unfair comparison (and I don't like any of the brands mentioned FYI). The reality is that SLP is Fast Fashion now. It may not be H&M or Zara, but it's pretty damn close. This is not the same as saying Rick Owens is fast fashion because All Saints and Zara are putting out his designs because when you compare, you can instantly feel the difference. First few seasons aside, SLP does feel the same as any of the other major high street brands now. I'm not trying to **** on SLP either, I've easily spent around $25k on rodeo this year alone, but you are really just paying for the leather tag and silver chain. And if you think the brand quality has gone down lately, just wait until the couture stuff starts appearing and all the design and material investment goes into that. BTW, COS jeans, T-shirts and outerwear are made in the same factory as SLP MII and Portugal. Most SLP production is now in Portugal but they still get away with putting made in italy because of the hand stitched leather tag and chain.
Doubt it, Italy is one of the only country enforcing it's "made in" label (part of the four Fs strategy) and they require 100% of the work to be made there, unlike other countries where the % is ususally much lower and enforcing is less relevant (made in Italy has as much brand capital as some major brands). Anyone that thinks SLP 5K relatively pedestrian leather jackets are priced ok is deluded. Doesn't mean it is not ok paying it if you want it but c'mon. For the record I like many of the leathers but they aren't that divergent in cut, mateiral or construction.

icvcss

Reaction score
Does the stuuded L17 from FW14 works well with the 15fw pins set (lighter, star, lightning) ? Will it be too fancy?

IrishFashion

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the SLP Hunting messenger bag. Where I live there's a exclusive members only sale coming up at 20% this Tuesday and I'm wondering if I should snap it up. I am looking for a light nylon bag but the store is notorious for putting classic items in the even bigger Christmas sale and SLP tends to be around 60% off in that. Is it a mediocre bag or a steal at 20% off and would regret it otherwise. Could it fit a 15" MBP? From Online it just looks like they have the black only version but I will try for the Navy blue? My only concern with that is that the navy looks like it'd rub off and leave colour transfer on black jeans etc.

Basically is it a definitely worth the full price bag grab that MOFO at 20% off or risk it and see if it makes it to the XMas sale.
Thoughts, opinions? I sort have had been looking for a light weight bag so... I'm torn. #firstworldproblems

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

SaintLaurent

Reaction score
Does the stuuded L17 from FW14 works well with the 15fw pins set (lighter, star, lightning) ? Will it be too fancy?
I think it'll be a bit too over the top, would look better with something like the L01 or the jacket they had in the show.

JackoDo

Reaction score
If anyone has a pair of the French 85 (preferably the cropped chelsea) in 42-43 that they're looking to unload, hit me up. Not looking to pay $400 USD in customs through the YSL site.

slann01

Reaction score

If anyone has a pair of the French 85 (preferably the cropped chelsea) in 42-43 that they're looking to unload, hit me up. Not looking to pay $400 USD in customs through the YSL site.

I could proxy them for you if the italian ysl site has them. Let me know through PM, already done this for many american and canadian people!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads