• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubato

Iskander

Reaction score
I am a US resident. I thought import duties were around 3% for the value about $800? Seems prices went up by 50% on basically all of Rubato's products. So this explanation makes no sense... when I got their email, I expected prices would go up by around $10 for a sweater, not by $140.
Their explanation definitely does not stand up to scrutiny. I encourage you to email them with your thoughts on the matter. It's a small brand so I assume they take customer feedback seriously.

normalbaum

Reaction score
I emailed Rubato about the 30%+ price increase and received a reply from their customer service representative. It is reproduced below in case any other customers wish to provide them with feedback on their approach to duties. Customs duties are a local issue; by using an assumed average of the total cost of duties paid by customers globally, it just raises the cost for customers living in jurisdictions with lower or no duties when trading with Sweden. Most brands have a price for an item, and country-specific duties are added at checkout or paid by the customer on delivery. How does this norm warrant an arbitrary 30% increase in price for everyone regardless of location?

Rubato's trousers fit me the closest amongst RTW brands, especially in the front and rear rise, hips and thighs, but I am very open to alternatives. They are followed close behind with The Anthology's cotton twill Civilman trousers- the top block fits me well, but the legs are a little narrower at the hem (~21cm) than I prefer (~22-23cm). I would love to see The Anthology widen the leg a bit for their single pleat trousers as well. Bryceland's jelt chinos are very comfortable for casual wear, but the relaxed silhouette feels too slouchy when I pair them with sport jackets. I am considering Casatlantic's Tanger and Mogador models too in case anyone has experience with those. Additional recommendations welcome.

Thank you for taking the time writing to us on this matter. We appreciate all feedback and will collect and discuss this internally. To give a more in-depth explanation read below.

After careful consideration and analysis of various factors affecting our business, we have decided to ship all products DDP, delivered duties paid. This is to make the shopping experience easier worldwide. It allows Rubato to make sure that the pricing strategy is similar no matter where you shop. A Rubato garment should have the same price no matter if you shop from London, New York or Tokyo. This way we can serve everyone equally across the globe. Also taking into account rising import costs, inflation, and other expenses. While we recognize that this may result in higher costs for our products, we want to assure you that these changes are essential for us to continue providing you with the quality products and services you deserve.

This decision is not just taken with regard to the online store but also for any physical location/retail spaces that may carry Rubato in the future.

We know that some US customers may find this move slightly uneasy however rest assured that the VAT and Duties are not pocketed by Rubato but is distributed amongst local custom offices. We remain committed to providing you with the best possible value for your money, and we believe that these adjustments are necessary to sustain our business and continue serving you effectively.

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"It allows Rubato to make sure that the pricing strategy is similar no matter where you shop. A Rubato garment should have the same price no matter if you shop from London, New York or Tokyo."
But they literally aren't, though?
Officer Chino for USA is 415 USD
Officer Chino for Europe is 355 EUR (362 USD)

I could buy them via a German proxy and pay to have them ship it to me and still come out slightly ahead.

"rest assured that the VAT and Duties are not pocketed by Rubato but is distributed amongst local custom offices."
Except that there won't be any duties owed if it's below $800, so in most cases yes they are just pocketing the extra money lol

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Ya the more I read that response email, the more I dislike it. This sounds like collective punishment or something. Why should some countries pay more to even out other countries? Why should a rubato garment be the same price everywhere around the world? Most things for sale are not priced this way for various reasons. The whole thing is a silly decision IMO

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tidbit in response about retailer is interesting. Currently they’re only for sale on their own site, right? I guess if they plan to be stocked at retailers in the future it makes sense to protect their partners margins.

I’ve been tempted by their knits before but never actually bought. Their pants are essentially Rota pricing now.

mayastig

Reaction score
Th
I’d say the front is high but back is medium rise. The cut is definetely different to MIJ repro cuts. The back pockets also sit higher than normal which I think makes the back rise feel more medium than high. These jeans work really really well when shirt is tucked in but sort of looks a bit odd if even a t-shirt is completely untucked. I have atleast tucked the front in when wearing t-shirt…
I have MIJs but looking for a fuller cut through the thighs (I have strong things). My MIJs have a good stretch in the waist but didn’t stretch out much in the thigh area as I’d hope.

Did your W32 measurements stay the same after all the wear and wash? I was surprised your 32 measurements had a very generous rise compared to what’s on their website, that’s also what I’m looking for, generous rise in the front.

henrip

Reaction score
Th

I have MIJs but looking for a fuller cut through the thighs (I have strong things). My MIJs have a good stretch in the waist but didn’t stretch out much in the thigh area as I’d hope.

Did your W32 measurements stay the same after all the wear and wash? I was surprised your 32 measurements had a very generous rise compared to what’s on their website, that’s also what I’m looking for, generous rise in the front.
After two washes and another week of wear the half waist is 43cm at the moment. Front rise 31. Thigh 33,5. Knee 24,5.

I’ve had the same problem with strong thighs and it’s been hard to find comfortable jeans. If you have strong thighs these could be a great fit for you.

Despite those few negative things I’ve pointed out… I really love these jeans😅

mayastig

Reaction score
T
After two washes and another week of wear the half waist is 43cm at the moment. Front rise 31. Thigh 33,5. Knee 24,5.

I’ve had the same problem with strong thighs and it’s been hard to find comfortable jeans. If you have strong thighs these could be a great fit for you.

Despite those few negative things I’ve pointed out… I really love these jeans😅

Thanks, if the measurements stayed pretty much around those numbers for a W32 I’ll try out the W32 as well!

Coastal Ivy

Reaction score
As a layman looking for a pair of jeans, a price increase from 300 usd to 420usd for a single pair of denim is insane... that's almost 50% increase overnight.

Maybe Carl and Oliver felt like they were missing out on potential profits by being below brycelands / drakes pricing...

I can see how the money is no object crowd won't be bothered by this, maybe that's rubatos core clientele now...? after all, 1000 usd for a non-paraleil cashmere knit is definitely not something I can fathom so I feel like I'm out of their target demo anyway.

However, as a normal guy, I actually thought they had a good value proposition (before these pricing changes) and I was happy it worked for them too since they were strictly online so they didn't have much overhead.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This brand seems dumb. I emailed a few weeks ago asking if they'd have basic cotton polo restocks for spring and the response was this cagey "well, I can't reveal anything but you never know, blah blah blah" lol dude I'm not that excited about your product I just want a polo shirt. Already made my mind up I wouldn't buy from them based on that reply, so the price thing is just a nail in it.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This brand seems dumb. I emailed a few weeks ago asking if they'd have basic cotton polo restocks for spring and the response was this cagey "well, I can't reveal anything but you never know, blah blah blah" lol dude I'm not that excited about your product I just want a polo shirt. Already made my mind up I wouldn't buy from them based on that reply, so the price thing is just a nail in it.
Their customer service always plays coy like that, just irritating. A few months ago they posted a picture on their instagram which included a belt that's been out of stock for some time. I commented asking if it will be restocked and they basically said, "you'll see teehee"

How about just tell me so I can get one elsewhere if you're not restocking?

Loupetlapin

Reaction score
Yeah, I am pretty much done with them. They told me that they are not pocketing more money with their new prices if I purchase something, which is (knowing my country‘s tax and duty system pretty well) just factually wrong.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a layman looking for a pair of jeans, a price increase from 300 usd to 420usd for a single pair of denim is insane... that's almost 50% increase overnight.

Maybe Carl and Oliver felt like they were missing out on potential profits by being below brycelands / drakes pricing...

I can see how the money is no object crowd won't be bothered by this, maybe that's rubatos core clientele now...

Interesting. Brycelands doesn't come to mind when I think of Rubato, Berg Berg does.

Brycelands is not actually that exhorbitant in terms of pricing. Himel made jackets for pretty much the cost of a Himel. Their most recent leather jacket is $2400 USD ($250 below Himel). Their denim and denim western shirt are comparable to RRL pricing and various Japanese boutique brands.

Berg Berg and Rubato, on the other hand, strike me as a ummmm, a little like a more affordable Stoffa in some ways, and selling the much lauded Japanese denim to a CM crowd of guys who might feel like they are out of place browsing Self Edge, in other ways.

Buying a pair of denim from Berg Berg and Rubato is insanity. And their standard lambswool sweaters... well O'connels already covers them.

Rubato selling a nylon/poly web belt with 20% (maybe) cordovan similarly priced or more expansive than a 100% cordo belt from Alden or Carmina??

Fad P

Reaction score
This thread took a sinister turn.

Personally, I wouldn’t compare Rubato with Berg&Berg, as I think they are far superior in quality and style. Bryceland, yes—even if I prefer the quality of Rubato’s knits.

The price hikes, in general, have been a bit out of control for the past couple of years. But that applies to almost all brands that I buy, and I suppose a big reason is the increasing costs of materials, manufacturing, and transportation. However, I feel somewhat like a boiling frog, as one day I found myself considering buying a sweater for $1000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads