• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok....even with what's going on in the world RM Williams just got back to me, forgot it's now 10am there......anyway looks like not much can be done from their end.....I'll contact the Australian Boots Company where they were originally purchased and who also sent them out to get the gores replaced.
If they can at all be stitched up great, otherwise they've had a great run and sad to see them go.....my new Tricker's Stows will just have to be worn a little bit more often ...that's all ....... : )
View attachment 1359924

I'm sure it can be repaired one way or another. They can always put on a leather patch.

Also, do you use shoe trees? Seems like a lot of wear/creasing going on

rob80bboots

Reaction score
I'm sure it can be repaired one way or another. They can always put on a leather patch.

Also, do you use shoe trees? Seems like a lot of wear/creasing going on

Considering current events....getting them repaired is not quite a priority at this time...and I've a dozen or more pair of boots.
As for shoe trees, I do use but only after I've been wearing the them and take them out after a few days as I'm actually a fan having my shoes and boots look "stylishly" worn but well maintained.
Those Gardeners are actual over 15 years and my Dack's 35...but a lot of lesser boots and shoes have come and gone.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting on shoe forums in these days may appear to be a frivolous activity...but IMHO we all need some distractions besides the news.
So....Just prior to current events I had new gussets put on my coveted Gardeners through the Australian Boot Company here in Toronto and was hoping to have them for another decade or so.
View attachment 1359676
View attachment 1359677
Well after their first Spring journey out they didn't do so well.... : (
Thought at first it was just the seam but it's actual the leather that has split along the stitching.
View attachment 1359678
View attachment 1359679
Anyone else experience this?...the boots have been well taken care of and plenty of life still left in the soles.
I've contacted customer service at RM Williams to see if this can be patched up one way or another.
Considering current events....getting them repaired is not quite a priority at this time...and I've a dozen or more pair of boots.
As for shoe trees, I do use but only after I've been wearing the them and take them out after a few days as I'm actually a fan having my shoes and boots look "stylishly" worn but well maintained.
Those Gardeners are actual over 15 years and my Dack's 35...but a lot of lesser boots and shoes have come and gone.

I love the Gardner. Those look stunning to me, except the split leather of course. The creasing looks more she’ll-like than calf. Rolls instead of fine creases look great. Obviously not a dressy boot, but for a work/casual boot, the toe shape is perfect. The Bestmade Gifford boot appears to be the Gardner in suede. I love the sole, not too aggressive but great in winter.

My oldest craftsman are 12 years old now and look perfect. I think it’s a function of the yearling leather more than a shoe care regimen. Only the elastic gussets are in need of some work. Some leathers like CXL or other pull up leathers are designed to show age relatively quickly. Yearling is the opposite IMO.

I’d be sad to see those go but clearly you’ve got your money’s worth.

sensei_

Reaction score
Recently got the RM William bug. Acquired these just after Christmas, and got the last pair just before the shut down of retail stores. Started with the black, chestnut, and finally dark tan. All in the yearling and all in the comfort (rubber sole). Have been wearing these in rotation to keep excessive wear down.

RpOrdMu.jpg

I have some Lexol All Leather Conditioner and Lexol Neatsfoot Leather Conditioner that I would like to know if they are safe in the meantime whilst I wait for me Saphir Medaille D'Or Renovator Cream and Saphir Creme Universelle leather balm to arrive. Along with some new boot trees from Saphir too.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently got the RM William bug. Acquired these just after Christmas, and got the last pair just before the shut down of retail stores. Started with the black, chestnut, and finally dark tan. All in the yearling and all in the comfort (rubber sole). Have been wearing these in rotation to keep excessive wear down.

RpOrdMu.jpg

I have some Lexol All Leather Conditioner and Lexol Neatsfoot Leather Conditioner that I would like to know if they are safe in the meantime whilst I wait for me Saphir Medaille D'Or Renovator Cream and Saphir Creme Universelle leather balm to arrive. Along with some new boot trees from Saphir too.

Those look great, congrats! Yes, those are fine, but please don't overcondition. The leather looks great, shouldn't need conditioning for like, a year.

sensei_

Reaction score
Those look great, congrats! Yes, those are fine, but please don't overcondition. The leather looks great, shouldn't need conditioning for like, a year.
What would you recommend in terms of upkeep? I do have a couple of horse hair brushes on order, so I can start to clean up my boots more often.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend in terms of upkeep? I do have a couple of horse hair brushes on order, so I can start to clean up my boots more often.

Brush before and after every wear, condition every 6-12mos depending on how the arridness of your residence. No need to go overboard, just due diligence

Broark

Reaction score
Been a long time since I've been around these parts, but I'm looking into a pair of Gardner boots in brown.
They seem like a good chunky Chelsea boot, just looking for some sizing advice.
I'm a 12 in John Lofgren boots (Combat boots and engineers), 11.5 in Viberg 2045, 12 in most RW and Alden.
I have a fairly wide foot and I'm a 12 Brannock.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since I've been around these parts, but I'm looking into a pair of Gardner boots in brown.
They seem like a good chunky Chelsea boot, just looking for some sizing advice.
I'm a 12 in John Lofgren boots (Combat boots and engineers), 11.5 in Viberg 2045, 12 in most RW and Alden.
I have a fairly wide foot and I'm a 12 Brannock.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gardners fit a little smaller IMO. For example for me, I take a 9AUS in Craftman and wear a 9.5 in Gardener. I'd recommend a 11.5 AUS, and depending on how wide your wide foot is, perhaps an H fitting.

Here's me trying on a black pair

20200229_152503.jpg

Broark

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply @troika, that sizing advice seems about right from what I've read up on so far.
I hate when boots are too snug so I think the H width would be beneficial.
And with the price of the AUD right now it's hard to beat a pair for $300 shipped.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply @troika, that sizing advice seems about right from what I've read up on so far.
I hate when boots are too snug so I think the H width would be beneficial.
And with the price of the AUD right now it's hard to beat a pair for $300 shipped.

That's a great deal, where are you getting it from?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Broark

Reaction score
Oh yeah! Bootsonline. I figured they'd be more expensive. The US retail is $500
I think for the price I’m going to give them a shot. Skimming the thread it sounds like the toe shape on the wider last Gardener is not as round as the normal width? I like bulky looking boots (in an ideal world I’d get some Rolling Dub Trio Chelsea boots, but they only make up to size 10 or so) I’ll probably go 11.5, just a matter of width at this point I think.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think for the price I’m going to give them a shot. Skimming the thread it sounds like the toe shape on the wider last Gardener is not as round as the normal width? I like bulky looking boots (in an ideal world I’d get some Rolling Dub Trio Chelsea boots, but they only make up to size 10 or so) I’ll probably go 11.5, just a matter of width at this point I think.

They're def not that chunky, but yeah, it's a fuller fit when compared to craftsman or Macquarie.

Here they are from the top

20200229_152457.jpg

They're super cool, get them. I might as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads