• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For eggs, chicken and other meats I think the labels such as "cage free" "free range" "organic" etc. are pretty much meaningless and has nothing to do with quality.

not meaningless, but only coincidentally related to quality, if ever. they're for people who are concerned about how their food is raised.

ipractice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can I begin to understand better whether or not what I ate was good? I.e. differentiate betwenen "I like what I ate" and "What I ate was good food".

Maybe some recommendations of books on gastronomy or similar resources?

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can I begin to understand better whether or not what I ate was good? I.e. differentiate betwenen "I like what I ate" and "What I ate was good food".

Maybe some recommendations of books on gastronomy or similar resources?

as in all things, taste is something you acquire only by experience, not by book study. eat, pay attention. that's basically it.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and would it be worth it to eat food you "know" is good but didn't actually enjoy? Just eat more and form your own opinions. Otherwise it becomes another postmodern mindgame.

ipractice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as in all things, taste is something you acquire only by experience, not by book study. eat, pay attention. that's basically it.

I've been practicing for 25 years believe it or not :p I can keep eating for another 50 years and try to pay attention or experience different foods, but it's hard to make any improvements if I don't know what I'm looking for.

Maybe I phrased my question poorly. I want to understand a little more what I can look for to help objectively explain why something I ate tasted good. That to me seems like gastronomy/food science stuff, and was wondering if there were any good introductory resources. Not to judge my entire meal experience for me (ie: this is defined as GOOD food, so I should enjoy it), but some baseline fundamentals to at least explain what's going on (its good, but I don't know why... here's how to help explain it).

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been practicing for 25 years believe it or not :p I can keep eating for another 50 years and try to pay attention or experience different foods, but it's hard to make any improvements if I don't know what I'm looking for.

Maybe I phrased my question poorly. I want to understand a little more what I can look for to help objectively explain why something I ate tasted good. That to me seems like gastronomy/food science stuff, and was wondering if there were any good introductory resources. Not to judge my entire meal experience for me (ie: this is defined as GOOD food, so I should enjoy it), but some baseline fundamentals to at least explain what's going on (its good, but I don't know why... here's how to help explain it).

are you an engineer? not being snarky. it's just that you're asking for an objective basis to explain a subjective analysis. good food is an emotional response, totally irrational. you can look at books to direct you to places that others agree are good (much better than yelp, imho). you can look at blogs and pictures to get a better aesthetic appreciation of presentation (hell, just pay attention to what mgm is doing here).
beyond my simple recommendation earlier, i'd say try stepping outside your comfort zone occasionally, go to places people whose taste you respect like, see if you like it. if you don't try to understand why not. then go back again and see if your impression changes.
but there is no such thing as an objective consensus as to what is "good food". hell, i've been doing this for more than 30 years (off the lawn edina!), and there are places that lots of folks love that i just don't get. at t his point, that's fine with me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I've been reading John McPhee's "Oranges" and 1) wow what a book and 2) is there any place I can order heriloom varieties of produce online? I know I can get your regular Indian River citrus (which is sublime) and other pears and whatnot online, just thought there might be a way to get more harder-to-find type stuff somewhere.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I've been reading John McPhee's "Oranges" and 1) wow what a book and 2) is there any place I can order heriloom varieties of produce online? I know I can get your regular Indian River citrus (which is sublime) and other pears and whatnot online, just thought there might be a way to get more harder-to-find type stuff somewhere.

in southern california we can still find washington navels at farmers markets. other than that, not sure.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
There's a problem with the recipient's mailbox. Please try resending the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk."

Ahem.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great Japanese place here features something called "Bukkake Udon". Because I'm at work and not going to google that, wtf does Bukkake actually mean in Japanese?

:hide:

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Japanese place here features something called "Bukkake Udon". Because I'm at work and not going to google that, wtf does Bukkake actually mean in Japanese?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Interesting.

I want to slow cook some beef with gravy and make mashed potatoes. Anyone have a good recipe? What is the best cut, boneless chuck roast?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in the market for a 7 bone roast. My mother's recipe involved liberal use of french onion soup mix - its trashy, but divine in it's own right. Basically: sear, braise, thicken braising liquid to make gravy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads