• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Yes. I mean, they are not as good as galoshes, but the grain is extremely tight, and so they have a high degree of water repellency, all other things being equal.

I was in Trickers a couple weeks ago. The guy at the store was telling me that their shell will blister. He indicated that Horween shell is much better that whatever company Trickers sources their shell from.

He did tell me why they don't buy Horween but of course I forgot. Might have been import tariffs etc.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly this has probably been my longest stay on any community- 2008 I think (albeit starting out on MC before coming across to the dark side
wink.gif
). I've joined various photography boards over the years and dropped them when life's been busy/they've turned into 'my kit is better than yours' groups or in one case when the site owner decided he'd use the site to drop in racist jokes and promote Hungarian far-right extremism... I used usenet back in the late 80's but then didn't have internet access for a few years. I might have hung around other communities for longer if I had more online time, but I can't keep even vaguely abreast of what's going on if I follow more than two or three.

What photography forums have you tried? I've never had one stick, there's just so little, I don't know, cross-pollination?

Like they are too focused - photography is such a broad hobby (art history, blogs, taking photos, locations, personalities, equipment, processing, printing, tonnes of cool ****) yet the conversations are often so staid...

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last comment on this but made it a point to go check out some Vetements stuff in person. Actual garments were great. Bomber proportions are skewed all around, and actually a lot in common with the Undercover one I pointed out, though I think the Vetements runway one in the pic was different than what i saw in store based on the sleeves (different season I guess). Some clever stuff, and sophisticated whether they like it or not. Then looked at the last show again and actually laughed. Think they may be doing themselves a disservice with that.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
What photography forums have you tried? I've never had one stick, there's just so little, I don't know, cross-pollination?

Like they are too focused - photography is such a broad hobby (art history, blogs, taking photos, locations, personalities, equipment, processing, printing, tonnes of cool ****) yet the conversations are often so staid...

Photo forums are way too gear-orientated for me. The technical side of photography is pretty boring, but it's all most enthusiasts focus on. I stopped looking for forums a while ago, but am open to suggestions too, if anyone has some.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahh, thanks for the tip! I'll do that for sure when I get it back in a month or so. Actually the worst offender at this point is the underside of the handles, which are reversed leather. Can I throw Obenaufs on the suede side?

I would not put Obenauf's on the suede side. You'd probably need some kind of spray, but I Haven't tried any. Fiebings Water Protector Spray might do the trick, but I would test it on a scrap of leather first.

Obneauf's is sticky, IME. Even in light layers. Seems like if you put that stuff on a bag, it's just going to get all over your clothes and/ or contents.

Yes obernaufs stays sticky forever. Maybe a neutral shoewax?

I usually wait at least a few hours after applying it and buff off all of the excess with a soft cloth. It will feel a tad sticky to the touch, but that's only because it is wax. It won't get on your clothes, though.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last comment on this but made it a point to go check out some Vetements stuff in person. Actual garments were great. Bomber proportions are skewed all around, and actually a lot in common with the Undercover one I pointed out, though I think the Vetements runway one in the pic was different than what i saw in store based on the sleeves (different season I guess). Some clever stuff, and sophisticated whether they like it or not. Then looked at the last show again and actually laughed. Think they may be doing themselves a disservice with that.
The garments are certainly clever. There's not doubt about that. His appointment by Balenciaga makes me wonder what they were looking for in a new creative director. Keeping in mind that in spite of all the hype, designers don't typically have bags of money, and that the luxury companies and their parent companies do, the luxury companies hold the power during interviews and negotiations, and a designer probably has to bring more than a small, albeit of the moment, label, to the table, to be appointed as creative director. I seriously doubt that the courting was particularly one-sided.

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random lower Manhattan fashion observation thoughts (as someone who doesn't live in NYC):

It feels like this whole town is wearing Stan Smiths or variants thereof
If it's not those, it's CPs. I think I saw $8k worth of CPs on one day this week
I saw probably one pair of GATs each day
Danny Bowien looks pretty cool with a tucked-in shirt and jeans
There's still biker jackets everywhere
Tokio 7 is serious. I think I spent two hours just looking at stuff
The rick stooges I tried on there is also serious
Abasi Rosborough blazers are brilliant but $$$$
That Camoshita waffle knit blazer (not where I saw it but you can get it at NMWA) from this season is gorgeous
The Kapital ring coats at Blue in Green spoke to me, I had to buy one
The Craig Green strappy things at Dover Street Market are preposterous and silly
I loled at (with?) the Walter van Beirendonck rack at DSM
the Geller Dominik is a cool coat
The Soho Totokaelo is cool and all but the construction, with loud noises and the radio playing behind a translucent sheet in the men's area, added a good dimension on it

PS hender scheme is gorgeous in person and shout out to Idol for putting up with my gawking friends who I convinced to come in there by describing the store as the "thousand dollar goth sweater store"

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
This piece is probably my only "grail" as the kids call it. Did Margiela even release this in 2010? I think I've seen a short sleeve or long sleeve version but **** I'll even take the sleeveless if I could find it

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea after going to Paris I'd be okay never seeing another pair of Stan Smiths in my life... Except I was contributing to the problem because I also brought a pair as my only walking shoes.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vans slip ons ftw. At least that hasn't been copied to death by designers like the Chuck Taylor and Stan Smith shoes.

"
got my vans on but they look sneakas
♪ "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads