• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this proves my point or not.

Anyone can write (poorly) a caricature of someone they fantasize about, just to make them feel better about themselves.

The imaginary person described in that article is precisely someone who actually has no interest in watches. Every universe/hobby has its poseurs

Last edited:

Hyperios

Reaction score
Would like to echo this statement, and also ask what some of you guys think are the best websites that provide information and photos of past shows?
Firstview and Vogue is what I use, maybe someone else has other suggestions?

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make good single colour short sleeved raglan tshirts?

stafa

Reaction score
Theres just something very cool about a mechanical watch that can provide daily utility for a lifetime, and more. Not many possessions in your life you can say that for.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does cordovan make good rainy day wear? I've seen a lot of differing opinions. Been wearing my cordovan Alden commando sole boots in the rain lately

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does cordovan make good rainy day wear? I've seen a lot of differing opinions. Been wearing my cordovan Alden commando sole boots in the rain lately
Yes. I mean, they are not as good as galoshes, but the grain is extremely tight, and so they have a high degree of water repellency, all other things being equal.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thank you
Been wearing them and they've been great, decided to
Google it and found a bunch of posts from 2010 saying "I wore my shoes for 10 seconds in the rain they have spots and welts they're ruined!!!"

I should probably just start deferring to @dieworkwear's excellent blog

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thank you
Been wearing them and they've been great, decided to
Google it and found a bunch of posts from 2010 saying "I wore my shoes for 10 seconds in the rain they have spots and welts they're ruined!!!"

I should probably just start deferring to @dieworkwear 's excellent blog
Well, ANY leather can develop water spots, but they can nearly always be buffed out or reconditioned. Some people want to be able to walk on air. Not so long ago, there was a discussion on how to keep the bottom of leather shoes pristine. I was like "Say what?"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres just something very cool about a mechanical watch that can provide daily utility for a lifetime, and more. Not many possessions in your life you can say that for.
They are interesting and can appreciate them - I just would worry about damaging them while wearing them to much to enjoy it. I'm sure there are plenty of good people who like them, colllect them, wear them.

At the end of the day, there is nothing particularly justifiable about most hobbies. I find that many of those who feel the need to rationalize their hobbies to be often insufferable. It's perhaps best to just admit to yourself and everyone else that you got those Visvim boots (I'm wearing some right now), those Margieal bracelets (likewise), that awesome car (I have an Oddysey, and am pretty sure that doesn't count), that Patek-Philippe, that Rubinaccie suit, those hand carved glasses, are absolutely unnecessary, but incredibly enjoyable.

kashmir

Reaction score
@gdl203 fwiw that article is probably representative of what outsiders' experience with "watch guys" generally entail, and it formed most of their impression. Probably like how the masses tend to equate fashion guys with its worst kind like say, the fuccbois

I like myself a nice mechanical watch too, there is a lot to appreciate in the craftsmanship.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@nicelynice, shell cordovan is really water resistant. A really long time ago, Ron Rider on the CM side of the board conducted an experiment using American shell (Horween) and Japanese shell (I think it was Shinki). He made two bags out of the materials and filled them up with water, IIRC, to show that shell can hold water for days (and thus, also keep water out). Horween performed a lot better than Shinki though, in terms of actually holding the water. At least from memory; you may have to dig up the thread again.

Anyway, as you probably read, the main problem is that shell develops spots and welts when it rains, which can be annoying. The way to get them out is to let the leather dry naturally, then brush them with a horsehair brush for a while. You can also rub the leather with the back of a spoon, just to press those welts down. Might be apocryphal, but there's an old story about how this used to be done with deer bones (I think it came out of the John Lobb of St. James book, The Last Shall Be First). Anyway, deer bones were marketed around the shoe community for a while based off that romantic story, but some deer bones have very, very fine rough bits, which scratches leather. For a cheaper and safer solution, you can essentially get the same results with the back of a metal spoon.

To prevent spotting in the first place, you can also apply a layer or two of Alden Leather Defender, which -- as far as I can tell -- is a sort of water repellant spray. Only catch: my guess is that, by also keeping water off the leather entirely, you're also making it hard for shell to take up cream conditioners. Maybe not a problem since I'm not that convinced shell soaks up cream conditioners in the first place, but maybe something to think about. I actually sent out emails to Nick at Horween and someone at Alden this morning, asking if I could interview them for a story about Alden Leather Defender. Also looking for some people with critical views of the product, but haven't been able to find anyone in the shoe community who dislikes it. It's mostly used by that island community of Alden enthusiasts.

The other solution for rain shoes is to just spray suede boots down with a water proofer (I use Allen Edmonds). Then you get the same water repellence and don't have to worry about spotting or welting. Only thing is: you may want boots with some kind of reverse welt and rubber sole, so that water doesn't soak up through the bottom. The water probably won't migrate to your feet, but if your shoes aren't really built for the rain, the water can cause damage in the long run.

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doods, this thread has been on fire lately. Excellent discussion and in-depth analysis on interesting topics. It's fun to read...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads