• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that they're copied. Never said they weren't copied at all, just not to the extent of something like Chucks and Stan Smith clones you see everywhere.
I dunno man. I think that they are the lexicon of iconic footwear, and so are, in fact, copied pretty much everywhere and by everyone. It's just that Stans are having a moment. Not that long ago, no one cared at all about Stan Smiths. The model wasn't even made for a while. It's like mocs and boat shoes. They are all over the place now. In the 90s, it was all doc boots and you couldn't pay someone to wear moc styled shoes.

Milksauce

Reaction score

damn i want a kapital ring coat now

I really like what Kapital does and I really want to like the ring coat but every time I see one I can't help but think it would look better if it was less bulky or if it had less buttons. I was really into the blue knit version posted some time back but the ring coat's loose fit really deters me. Maybe I just need to learn to embrace the bagginess.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So I'm not allowed to wear my sperry's anymore?

Nah, just embrace it. Trendy, fine. Not trendy? Also fine.

I really like what Kapital does and I really want to like the ring coat but every time I see one I can't help but think it would look better if it was less bulky or if it had less buttons. I was really into the blue knit version posted some time back but the ring coat's loose fit really deters me. Maybe I just need to learn to embrace the bagginess.

It will never be fitted. Embrace it or leave it.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these cole haan boots look pretty cool.

storm welt and nike lunarlon sole for $100??

http://www.colehaan.com/lunargrand-chelsea-black/C12612.html

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Embrace :)

I've only got one Kapital piece from a few seasons back, but I like their stuff and it's slightly easier to find pieces big enough for me compared to some Japanese brands.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

these cole haan boots look pretty cool.

storm welt and nike lunarlon sole for $100??

http://www.colehaan.com/lunargrand-chelsea-black/C12612.html

If I had to work at Cole Haan again and they made me wear their shoes, I'd probably go for those

More than likely, though, the welt is fake and the upper is made from their nappa leather, which is really thin and forms nasty creases and generally looks like ass :(

edit: just read the product description. they might be better than I thought!

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
you worked for cole haan?

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like mine (and wearing them now.).  They are also ridiculously impractical and have serious construction issues.  Not like, that they are badly made, but that sythetics are super useful in sneakers for a reason.  

Care to elaborate further? I do plan to get a pair of the AF1s eventually.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Care to elaborate further? I do plan to get a pair of the AF1s eventually.

My tongues tore at the stitching to the body. The leather was skivved extremely thin, and since the shoes were fairly new, the leather still was not just very thin there, but also very brittle, as veg tanned "natural" leather often is. A synthetic is very strong for it's thickness. You look at say, the nylon weave for seatbelts, and it will never tear, unless you are king kong. Leather, on the other hand, is quite weak when it is thin, and the tensile strength increases in a non linear fashion, so that when it is very thick, it is brutally strong - one of the reasons I do not like thin leather for jackets. It was an easy enough fix, and you can do an awesome pro one, or a DIY thing, which is what I always do. I backed it with amazing full grain deer, and just glued it back on with leather glue. I could, conceivably, also handstitch the piece back on, but that is a PITA, so I probably just won't.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those cole haan boots seem good in theory but that leather looks like caca and the proportions are off. would be interested to see in person, maybe I'll swing by the soho store.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can't decide if awesome or awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads