• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think purp is referring to the presentation itself . very blousy way of laying out .

I'd guess it has to do with selling that rounded silhouette , like it's kind of showing the garment as oversized .
He says that it grosses him out, which is what I don't understand. It just looks like a sweater on a rug or the carpet. But maybe I'm missing something.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think purp is referring to the presentation itself . very blousy way of laying out .

I'd guess it has to do with selling that rounded silhouette , like it's kind of showing the garment as oversized .

as far as 2ndhand / vintage I prefer to shop primarily at thrifts ( I will buy retail from designers that I want to support directly ) .

Exactly the way it’s ok the floor, I guess it’s very unnatural to me and makes me feel irked out.

I much prefer the straight down look with the arms laid out across the chest.

I get why people do this, but it’s hard to get past the very staged look.

jbie

Reaction score
Exactly the way it’s ok the floor, I guess it’s very unnatural to me and makes me feel irked out.

I much prefer the straight down look with the arms laid out across the chest.

I get why people do this, but it’s hard to get past the very staged look.
I totally get this as well. When selling nice stuff on the ‘bay, I’ve found that doing everything to present it less as a used item helps - so stuff like using white space around the item to keep the image uncluttered, even lighting, hung up on a rack (in my case) etc etc.

I find a lot of brands look pretty and expensive in store, but it’s much more difficult to stand up to having that same allure once they’re taken out of the soft lighting and hardwood interiors.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Although the bushwick crowd is back on them; bicycle toes on brown half sneaker half dress shoes.
Ha, people are bringing those shoes back ironically? Actually, I can visualize those shoes being worn in a hip 90s/Y2K fit.

As a rule, it seems the more that an apparel item/style/silouette becomes hated, the more it is assured to come back in style (perhaps with a twist in the attitude with which it is worn). In the peak of 2010s #menswear, bicycle toe shoes were frequently mentioned in a short list of disgusting untouchables that must be eschewed. Probably a guarantee that they would be desired again.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dig these, especially the colour and the barbed wire horsebit. Will probably get a pair for summer/late spring, even though I already have several pairs of loafers.
burberry-leather-barbed-loafers_22175914_47806830_600.jpg

burberry-leather-barbed-loafers_22175914_47806835_600.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a favorite OCBD that (1) looks suitable worn casually or with a suit, (2) doesn't break the bank, and (3) is on the slimmer side (not super slim but just not billowy)? Kamakura?

I like Wythe’s but I’m not an ocbd connoisseur.

I'll 2nd the Wythe suggestion.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I got a marketing email from Bill's Khakis for the first time in years and years.

Also today, I learned that Bill's Khakis still exists.

(I thought they went bankrupt so maybe somebody had bought up the name and logo some years back?)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, people are bringing those shoes back ironically? Actually, I can visualize those shoes being worn in a hip 90s/Y2K fit.

As a rule, it seems the more that an apparel item/style/silouette becomes hated, the more it is assured to come back in style (perhaps with a twist in the attitude with which it is worn). In the peak of 2010s #menswear, bicycle toe shoes were frequently mentioned in a short list of disgusting untouchables that must be eschewed. Probably a guarantee that they would be desired again.
I have some Von Dutch jeans waiting for five years and for me to go down a full pant size then.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been so sad to see 90s style come back. Aside from hip hop, the 90s was completely devoid of style and good taste. :hide:

casterofdreams

Reaction score
I’ve been so sad to see 90s style come back. Aside from hip hop, the 90s was completely devoid of style and good taste. :hide:
Colors and outerwear in general are a big thing from the 90s that are coming back, as far as I’ve seen. The North Face has constantly released neon or crazy colors from the era over the last few years, not to mention their bread and butter 1996 Nuptse jacket.

In 2020 (or 2021) TNF brought back the Steep Tech line releasing stuff like this:
IMG_3746.jpeg

If anyone was in NYC during that time, this was at the top of the list for many; or mountain jackets if you couldn’t find an ST.

Some fun reading: https://www.complex.com/style/a/lei...teep-tech-skiwear-streetwear-collection-story

I only own one example of the “90s colorway” in the form of a Jordan Gore-Tex jacket.
IMG_1154.jpeg

Edit - here’s another fun read: https://www.thecut.com/2018/10/the-north-face-new-york-style.html

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for somebody to begin bringing back those Starter brand pullovers from the '90s. I'd love to get a Red Wings or Lions one but bonus points if I could get one for a now defunct team like the Nordiques or Whalers!

Charlotte Hornets anybody?
1713885184954.png

FWIW, I think I recall listening to an interview with Yuki Matsuda, the guy who owns Meg Company brands like Yuketen and Monitaly, that he bought the Starter trademark and some of their designs a few years back, or something like that. So maybe there's hope!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for somebody to begin bringing back those Starter brand pullovers from the '90s. I'd love to get a Red Wings or Lions one but bonus points if I could get one for a now defunct team like the Nordiques or Whalers!

View attachment 2172595

FWIW, I think I recall listening to an interview with Yuki Matsuda, the guy who owns Meg Company brands like Yuketen and Monitaly, that he bought the Starter trademark and some of their designs a few years back, or something like that. So maybe there's hope!
I remember when I was in junior high, everyone had the Dallas Cowboys Starter jacket.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2172595

True story - my mom bought my da a Charlotte Hornets sweatshirt on something like 90% discount in the late 80s or early 90s, and he wore into the 00s.

Pretty sure he did not know what sport they played, much less in what city they were based. So yeah, I also want a Hornets sweatshirt.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone was in NYC during that time, this was at the top of the list for many; or mountain jackets if you couldn’t find an ST.
Had a conversation with someone who was important at TNF during the era who told me the steep tech line lost money every season. I was surprised as it seemed to have such an impact as far as visibility.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True story - my mom bought my da a Charlotte Hornets sweatshirt on something like 90% discount in the late 80s or early 90s, and he wore into the 00s.

Pretty sure he did not know what sport they played, much less in what city they were based. So yeah, I also want a Hornets sweatshirt.

I remember back in the '80s and '90s thinking that the Hornets had the absolute most disgusting color combination and their jerseys and shirts and jackets were everywhere. They must have had either a crack marketing/sales team (I don't recall the team itself ever being that great back then and being in a smaller media market surely wasn't helping them) or their gear must have been super easy to find on steep discounts all over the country.

There's probably a reason that a Hornets jacket was the first one to pop up on Google when I searched for "'90s Starter Pullover"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads