• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

McQ7

Reaction score
Thanks! Your posts in particular have provided helpful input. I’m in Arkansas, and also prefer thin socks. There’s also a user on reddit who sized down 1.5 with my size foot and same-sized various boots. Here’s a pic of the Coniston, Indy, and Islay with the heels lined up: https://m.imgur.com/1QTAV1L. The Alden is 8D US and the C&J boots are 7UK. His take is that owners perceive the C&J to be shorter because the toes are more tapered.

On my chromexcel Indy boots I have heel slip in size 8D but if I went with a 7.5D the flex point would be behind my ideal. On the 8D the ball of foot lines up with the widest part of the boot just right. So I wear them with medium socks and it works out. Plenty of toe room though—my toe is just at the stitching.

My Barrie boots seemed to feel larger than ideal at first but broke in to comfort. The heel on Aldens is a little wide feeling to me, but the vamp is snug. Both Alden boots have plenty of width in the ball and toe areas. A little extra room on the side for me.

I’m not really concerned about the Islay toe taper, but overall toe length. I’m currently looking at both a 7UK Islay and a 7UK Purdey version.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Your posts in particular have provided helpful input. I’m in Arkansas, and also prefer thin socks. There’s also a user on reddit who sized down 1.5 with my size foot and same-sized various boots. Here’s a pic of the Coniston, Indy, and Islay with the heels lined up: https://m.imgur.com/1QTAV1L. The Alden is 8D US and the C&J boots are 7UK. His take is that owners perceive the C&J to be shorter because the toes are more tapered.

On my chromexcel Indy boots I have heel slip in size 8D but if I went with a 7.5D the flex point would be behind my ideal. On the 8D the ball of foot lines up with the widest part of the boot just right. So I wear them with medium socks and it works out. Plenty of toe room though—my toe is just at the stitching.

My Barrie boots seemed to feel larger than ideal at first but broke in to comfort. The heel on Aldens is a little wide feeling to me, but the vamp is snug. Both Alden boots have plenty of width in the ball and toe areas. A little extra room on the side for me.

I’m not really concerned about the Islay toe taper, but overall toe length. I’m currently looking at both a 7UK Islay and a 7UK Purdey version.

I'm a US8D Barrie and UK7E Islay. I'm also a UK7E on C&J 325 and 335 lasts.

McQ7

Reaction score
I went down a full 1.5 specifically for the thin sock reason (I'm in Florida) but also on Purdey's version of the Islay which is a slightly different last (search for razl purdey islay and you'll find a bunch of my relevant nonsense). I will say that it was snug, almost a hair too snug to where I thought I was going to need to stretch them, but repeated determined wearings broke them in fine, but boy it took some doing.

All that said, keep in mind I was on a different last and also that the Barrie last absolutely does not work for me at all; I've gone down a full size and still have heel slippage to the point I've wondered who it could possibly work for; but, apparently, that's you!

That's probably not much direct help, but if you lookup my posts you'll find enough side chatter by others that should be more helpful; good luck!

Was it ever confirmed whether the Purdey Islay is on the 325 last? Is there a last code or anything to match? I’ve read it’s a bit sleeker looking but haven’t ever seen side by side pics or been able to tell in stand alone Purdey pics.

M4xim

Reaction score
Was it ever confirmed whether the Purdey Islay is on the 325 last? Is there a last code or anything to match? I’ve read it’s a bit sleeker looking but haven’t ever seen side by side pics or been able to tell in stand alone Purdey pics.

I own Purdey’s Islay and many other C&J shoes and boots. Purdey’s Islay last is actually nothing like 325 last of Gallway II, it has different shape, much more bulbous and round, more like Skye’s 335 last but more generous... I have no reason to believe that its built on different last to normal C&J Islay 365 last...

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMG_0287.JPG

McQ7

Reaction score
I own Purdey’s Islay and many other C&J shoes and boots. Purdey’s Islay last is actually nothing like 325 last of Gallway II, it has different shape, much more bulbous and round, more like Skye’s 335 last but more generous... I have no reason to believe that its built on different last to normal C&J Islay 365 last...

Thanks for this. I wonder why some have remarked on Purdey's Islay being sleeker or slimmer seeming than the standard Islay?

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gratitude to James of flagship store. He suggested me styles and sizing before I touchdown on London, and we met at store to get the right fitting.

So it turns out for larger Last I would be in UK6.5, while for Harvard II or unlined models, UK7 fits better. I'm really found of Teign in 341 but it's bit pointed and formal (leather sole) for causal use, yet the arch support and heel fitting is much much snug than Last 376.

Some heel slip is expected with UK7 Last 376 but there will be no crammed toes. James suggested Last 376 is slightly shorter. New camel suede fits jeans well too!

IMG_9062.JPG IMG_9307.JPG

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
C&J Lanark plain toe blucher on sale at Barney's for $589. They appear to be burgundy cordovan.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gratitude to James of flagship store. He suggested me styles and sizing before I touchdown on London, and we met at store to get the right fitting.

So it turns out for larger Last I would be in UK6.5, while for Harvard II or unlined models, UK7 fits better. I'm really found of Teign in 341 but it's bit pointed and formal (leather sole) for causal use, yet the arch support and heel fitting is much much snug than Last 376.

Some heel slip is expected with UK7 Last 376 but there will be no crammed toes. James suggested Last 376 is slightly shorter. New camel suede fits jeans well too!

View attachment 966575 View attachment 966576
For the Harvard II I also went down 1.5 sizes from my U.S. size because there weren't any subs in one size down and it is a snug fit, but I think after more wear I am going to prefer the snugger fit.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the Harvard II I also went down 1.5 sizes from my U.S. size because there weren't any subs in one size down and it is a snug fit, but I think after more wear I am going to prefer the snugger fit.

I'm in US7.5 and tried UK6.5 and my toes are popping out on the vamp, so it's definitely too short for me.

Mind I got a duck feet so probably that matters on fit.

It's so comfortable that I'm wearing it on plane all the way to Hong Kong

Nat Jag

Reaction score
Galileo, when were you there. I was in the shop Monday 23 April, there was a chap made a special trip from abroad to purchase some shoes.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eww.
I had assumed they were cordovan based on the $975 original price.

Maybe it's the additional welt? There's a seller on ebay who has them classified as cordovan (I think he's mistaken). But there was another seller on ebay who actually listed the box, and it said cavalry calf on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads