• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

insy

Reaction score
Brecon today, they are brand new but where is that scratch coming from? I will just blame my wife
1f60a.png

Not sure how much I like them overall. The fit is great and they will make an overall good walking boot during the bad weather periods I suppose. However they just look so huge compared to my Carminas
1f627.png

free2hear

Reaction score
Thx !
9 !

cher adebisi

Does anyone here know you're a big scammer at ebay? And you calling thief at this forum when you're the biggest of all? Do you want me to proof everyone that you've been rigging your Ebay sales like, forever?? You're scamming everyone with private sales and several fake accounts inflating the prices undercovered. I have more than 50 print screens of your "POKAC" sales before you turned them all into "private" sales. And always having a few Crockett & Jones for sale at ebay... are they stolen?

Reaction score
Dear all, looking for some C&J advice if thats okay.

I am looking to purchase my first pair of derby boots to take on inclement weather conditions. I want to be able to wear them in inclement weather but also take them with me this coming winter around dec or jan traveling outdoors in southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland where I expect there to be a lot of snow and slush to walk through. I'd like the pair to be hardy and reliable that is able to take a beating for outdoor pursuits like hiking and offtrail walks, yet still look smart enough to wear to work if needed (as a medic I rarely wear suits, mostly chinos + button up shirts if I'm not in theatre).

For this purpose I've narrowed my choices down to two boots: the Conistons in navy (last one in all of UK!) and the Northcote boots in brown. I've tried them on today at a C&J store in London today, see pics attached.

Which would the C&J experts here recommend for my purpose? I feel like the Conistons will be more hardwearing and tough and practical, but the Northcotes are much more sleek and elegant. Do the scotch country grain on the Conistons confer any signficant practical benefit?

My current humble collection of shoes only has two boots: the black and brown Tetbury chukka boots, which I've found fantastic for everyday wear to work if that helps.

The grain leather does make the boots more casual than smooth leather.
IMHO, it sounds like from your intended wear with chinos, the more casual/ rounded last of the Coniston may be more appropriate- although the navy color may limit their versatility a bit. They also pair well with denim, tweeds, cords, and hardier wools. I find the NorthCote's sleeker last too pointy for chinos and denim. It works better with tailored wool trousers, and even with a suit on the wet weather days. They seem like a City boot, and I would treat them like a dress shoe for rainy days- far too elegant for hiking and outdoor pursuits, as I don't think they would look as good scratched up. Just my 2 cents but it's really down to how you will be wearing them. You can always go for the Conistons now, then save up and get the Northcote's next time as your dress boot...
Personally, I've not found the studded Dainite soles to be much better than leather on slick snow or ice. So, if you are really looking for a boot for snow/slush, you might consider the Snowden, with the added water resistant construction and commando rubber sole.
Good luck!

Last edited:

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Interesting - Does anyone else find that Dainite do not offer much grip in the snow and ice?

I've managed to avoid the snow in my nice shoes/boots but I'm on the lookout for something fairly smart on a commando sole for this reason.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do I ever? They are like bar soaps most of the time for me .. Though, @Cleav
 appears not to have much of a trouble. Go figure. 

Who says I wear em in snow and ice. Go figure.

Reaction score
Ridgeway for snow and ice.

After last winter, I wanted to convert 2 pairs of boots from the studded Dainite soles to Ridgeway, but I have not been able to find a cobbler here in NY that carries that sole. Was surprised that B.Nelson / VIP did not. Any suggestions in the city or online welcome.

Last edited:

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Hadn't thought about ridgeway.

The absolute best sole I have ever worn in the snow and ice is my commando-style Dr Martens sole, of this style;

I think the amazing grip comes from a combination of the cleat shape AND the soft rubber/PU compound.

This is why I hanker for a commando soled boot for the ice, but my gut feel it that true commando rubber is much harder and may not grip as well as the Dr Marten sole.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After last winter, I wanted to convert 2 pairs of boots from the studded Dainite soles to Ridgeway, but I have not been able to find a cobbler here in NY that carries that sole. Was surprised that B.Nelson / VIP did not. Any suggestions in the city or online welcome.
I don't know of any, but if I do send in my shoes to C&J my hope is to have all the Dainite removed and have either Ridgeway or leather installed as a replacement.

Does C&J still do this?

If anyone knows where to have that done I am all ears as well.

DL-

bantone

Reaction score
I'm looking for some suede Monk Straps for the fall! Any suggestions on the C&J or anything in the classifieds? I usually wear Alden shoes. Wondering about fit.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I'm looking for some suede Monk Straps for the fall! Any suggestions on the C&J or anything in the classifieds? I usually wear Alden shoes. Wondering about fit.
These are still available brand new, but only in very limited sizes but the price is very good:
http://www.fransboonestore.com/coll...-dark-brown-rev-calf-suede?variant=7286217281
http://www.fransboonestore.com/coll...eymour-navy-rev-calf-suede?variant=7286296193

Both are in the C&J handgrade range, but in an older 337 last. Others may comment how that fit relative to the newer 358 last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads