• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

90shilling

Reaction score
Yeah, interesting...cause I have the monkton and the skye in chestnut and they are both lighter.

The monkton has more of a reddish hue...and the skye is more of a chestnut yellow brown color

I've not seen C&J chestnut that dark before...and yes they will lighten with time unless you polish them with like a dark brown
PCK1 - I misspoke, the color of my Merton loafers is Beechnut burnished, not chestnut (I have corrected it in my original post). Please excuse my mistake and the confusion.

embromides

Reaction score
I really enjoy the fit and sleeknes of Coniston. There is also the upside, that Purdy's versions are readily available, where both the dark grain and nubuck versions could serve as a middle ground between Coniston Tan, and Islay/Snowdon.
Only looking at the pictures, this winters C&J blue version was a faux pas imho - but there should be something for everybody's taste.
Any opinions of the Purdey boot from recent purchasers?
Personally I very happy with this discretely elegant boot, though I still prefer my more ostentatious, honey-leathered Coniston - 2001 vintage, ( a much lighter shade than current Coniston).

Last edited:

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Peale for CJ for BB cordovan

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peals carry shells? I don't see any on the site...

Arent those Alden shells on the site now?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the shell cap toe boot is part of Peal's regular lineup. I don't think there is any certainty that the boot will be restocked in the imminent future.

I don't disagree with you. I have seen it come and go over the last few years, though. In other words, it has vanished and it has come back. My intuition says it is less likely we see it again, but not impossible.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. Not dumb at all.

Yes, other lasts will fit as well...and you should find that most will fit you just fine.

However, there is often sizing differences between different C&J lasts so if you are considering trying a different last definitely best to try them on for yourself...or at the minimum seek out advice. Depending on the last you are going with, you may have to size up a half size from the 348 or you may be able to stay with the same size.

That being said...the 348 is C&J's most prevalent last...and there are many choices to pick from...so if it fits well...perhaps you can search around and find a different style that you prefer without having to change lasts.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell your from my personal experience that the Lowndes are a lovely shoe...I have 2 pairs of them on the 348.

And I know @Cleav will vouch for me as well as he also has a pair (though they are on the 341 if memory serves me right).

But, whether they are conservative business dress or not, is a very subjective matter. Most will tell you that any buckle shoe is less formal than an oxford. I tend to lean towards this opinion as well, when worn with a conservative business dress suit (solid blues and greys). However, if you search on the Italian conservative business dress thread you will definitely see some photos of dub monks being worn...and the Lowndes in Dark Brown Calf is more conservative than other dubmonks as it is dark brown, dressy last, nothing outlandish like contrast stitching

That being said, I definitely think that it can be pulled off very well with conservative suits...and of course any variety of classic menswear (i.e., odd sportcoats & odd trouser combos).

I guess the questions are...

1. What is your intended purpose of use? I've seen you on the WAYWRN...you tend to lean towards conservative business dress suits...so i presume this...

2. What other shoes do you have in your wardrobe? If you have oxfords pretty well covered...then it might be nice to branch out to a double monk such as the Lowndes...

3. Are you open to using this shoe for more than just the purpose of business dress?

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's any Last similar to the Marlow, but...

For you Marlow folks:

Allen Edmond 5-last: 9E
Allen Edmond Leed/Dundee 9D
Alden Barrie 8.5D (on the tigher side), 9D fits me big.
Carmina Simpson 8.5UK
Carmina Rain 8UK
Vass F-Last 42
Meermin Hiro/Olfe 8UK
Wolverine 1k - 9D

Would 9D make sense for the Marlows? About to pick up a pair from a member but I don't have access to get correct sizing from a store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads