• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe, maybe not. Odds are you need your Barrie size of 8.5. I take 8.5 Barrie and have the Lindrick (Marlow in boot form). It fits generously but 8 would be too small and 9 would be huge. Some do go up 1/2 from
Barrie. Seems like maybe 3/10 on here if I had to guesstimate.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. What is your intended purpose of use? I've seen you on the WAYWRN...you tend to lean towards conservative business dress suits...so i presume this...

2. What other shoes do you have in your wardrobe? If you have oxfords pretty well covered...then it might be nice to branch out to a double monk such as the Lowndes...

3. Are you open to using this shoe for more than just the purpose of business dress?
1. conservative business dress all the way and will be its (new shoes) only purpose.
2. I have the below C&J oxford and I am trying to restart my shoes collection.

I have these other rejects...

3. Whatever shoes I get will be used for when I am wearing suits ONLY.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell from the angle of that first pair of C&J...but that looks like its the 348 Hallam...correct me if I'm mistaken.

Other C&J shoes on the 348 that might fit into your conservative business dress wardrobe:

1. Alex - this is C&J's wholecut...comes in black and brown...very classy...plus it was worn by Daniel Craig in Skyfall...so extra points for badass too. Definitely conservative business dress.
http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/alex-black#.U0cDy1eJSTs

2. Westbourne - this is a C&J adelaide...comes in black or chestnut - I think this still falls pretty well into the category of conservative business dress if its black.
http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/westbourne-black#.U0cD8VeJSTs

The Lowndes, as I said, whether its conservative business dress or not will vary from person to person. You can ask around for other opinions as to whether it is, or decide for yourself. But only you can determine if its appropriate for your wardrobe and place of work. If I was meeting with clients...I probably would not pick the Lowndes, but if I wasn't I might go for it.

It is a great shoe, great looking, and the 348 Lowndes in dark brown calf is C&J's single best selling shoe according to Kevin Hill the manager of their NYC showroom.

There is one other option...the 348 Highbury. This is a plain 3 eyelet derby...a little different...but can pull it off with a suit.
http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/highbury-black#.U0cGFleJSTs

These are just options within the 348...of course there are many options on other lasts beyond this.

Last edited:

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't tell from the angle of that first pair of C&J...but that looks like its the 348 Hallam...correct me if I'm mistaken.

Other C&J shoes on the 348 that might fit into your conservative business dress wardrobe:

1. Alex - this is C&J's wholecut...comes in black and brown...very classy...plus it was worn by Daniel Craig in Skyfall...so extra points for badass too. Definitely conservative business dress.
http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/alex-black#.U0cDy1eJSTs

2. Westbourne - this is a C&J adelaide...comes in black or chestnut - I think this still falls pretty well into the category of conservative business dress if its black.

The Lowndes, as I said, whether its conservative business dress or not will vary from person to person. You can ask around for other opinions as to whether it is, or decide for yourself. But only you can determine if its appropriate for your wardrobe and place of work. If I was meeting with clients...I probably would not pick the Lowndes, but if I wasn't I might go for it.

It is a great shoe, great looking, and the 348 Lowndes in dark brown calf is C&J's single best selling shoe according to Kevin Hill the manager of their NYC showroom.

There is one other option...the 348 Highbury. This is a plain 3 eyelet derby...a little different...but can pull it off with a suit.

These are just options within the 348...of course there are many options on other lasts beyond this.
Awesome!
Thank you very much for the help.
fing02[1].gif

You're right that the one C&J that I have is a Hallam. I am now leaning towards a brown version of that.
I am also considering the 2nd one because I think it will go just fine with conservative business dress suits.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're very welcome :)

C&J's are fantastic shoes...definitely a quality addition to any wardrobe that will last you a long time and will get you lots of use.

If you search around online too...you may be able to find some of the shoes I mentioned in different color/sole combos as C&J sells through a variety of vendors who pick their own specifications as opposed to the C&J standard stuff. Also, C&J private labels to a lot of companies so you may find something through this as well...

Let us know if you pick one :) we will def want to see pics on this thread!

Last edited:

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@PCK1
Oh you bet I'll post a pic or two when I get it. I am very happy with my first one and look forward to others in the future.
I am very lucky to have a store nearby that has a lot of C&Js so I can try on different ones. I almost pulled the trigger on this
but they didn't have my size. Bummer. They said they're on the way.

kaizo

Reaction score

You're very welcome :)

C&J's are fantastic shoes...definitely a quality addition to any wardrobe that will last you a long time and will get you lots of use.

If you search around online too...you may be able to find some of the shoes I mentioned in different color/sole combos as C&J sells through a variety of vendors who pick their own specifications as opposed to the C&J standard stuff. Also, C&J private labels to a lot of companies so you may find something through this as well...

Let us know if you pick one :) we will def want to see pics on this thread!

+1

My family's bought shoes from c&j over three generations. No regrets at all :)

I've got my first pair about 6 month ago (black connaught). In fact I'm planning to buy brown lowndes for my next pair. Could anyone please advise me on the difference between the 236 last and 348?

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I already have a Hallam in black, does it make sense to get the Alex in black as well? I wonder if they'll look too similar. I was thinking about getting a brown oxford. I am conservative business dress so keep that in mind when you're providing feedback. Thanks!
fing02[1].gif

1.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I have to ask....what is conservative business dress?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

conservative business dress = Conservative Business Dress Good example below (Today's WAYWRN).
LL
I like to wear black and do not want to wear them out. So getting another black one will provide relief.
Thank you. Good look and I see no issue with multiple black shoes. I have many multiple burgundy and brown shoes.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rudals

Stylistically...I think they are pretty different shoes (ofc this is said with a grain of salt...because a neophile that knows nothing about shoes won't know the difference).

The Hallam is your classic very conservative business dress plain stich captoe oxford. The most versatile business dress shoe you can buy.

The Alex is a plain wholecut. Still conservative business dress, still very dressy. Some will say that it is even more of a "formal dress shoe" than a plain stitch captoe. (You can even wear this shoe with a tuxedo).

I don't think you can go wrong with either a brown Hallam or a black Alex.

With your wardrobe...I would buy a black Alex first...then later on expand the collection into a brown Hallam.

Last edited:

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@Rudals

Stylistically...I think they are pretty different shoes (ofc this is said with a grain of salt...because a neophile that knows nothing about shoes won't know the difference).

The Hallam is your classic very conservative business dress plain stich captoe oxford. The most versatile business dress shoe you can buy.

The Alex is your standard plain wholecut. Still conservative business dress, still very dressy. Some will say that it is even more of a "formal dress shoe" than a plain stitch captoe. (You can even wear this shoe with a tuxedo).

I don't think you can go wrong with either a brown Hallam or a Black Alex.

With your wardrobe...I would buy a Black Alex first...then later on expand the collection into a brown Hallam.
Yes, I am leaning towards the black Alex for now. Or just get both.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads