• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Tuur

Reaction score
Nope, a mate of mine has the Alex in 7.5 but the Northcote in size 7. As the Northcote is a boot and a Derby its a little more roomy. Much will depend on your instep.
I'm not saying you should size down 1/2, I'm saying you might have to.
Sorry, I'm being the opposite of helpful.

Okay, thanks a lot. This definetely is a helpful post. I guess I should wait with my order until I've tried the Northcote in 7,5 and in 7 somewhere. I still think its strange however. The boot is made around the same last so before you've have worn them quite a bit, you expect the Northcote to be exactly the same inside as an oxford made on the same last, no? Both shoes are tightened around the same plastic last, so why would a derby be more roomy than an oxford?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, a lot depends on your foot. Although both shoes may have been made on the same last a derby can simply 'open up' more and thus accommodate more foot.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I'f id live in the country i'd get me those. For a normal bloke like me they are unwearable tho, unfortunately.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
^Not sure about them brummie.

Not having seen them in person I don't like the photos on the C&J website. Bit too fashion fwd for me. Something that Church's get slaughtered for on Styleforum

Would prefer any of the Consiston variants available through James Purdey for pretty much the same price.

http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/mens/mens-shoes/

Not feeling them? None of the pics I've seen do them justice at all, but I know that navy wouldn't appeal to a lot of people anyway. I kinda like the idea of a non-brown boot given that my collection covers the whole of that part of the spectrum, and there's not a cat in hell's chance you'd get me wearing black footwear except under protest.

C&J won't do shearling-lined boots, as confirmed today. The other option I had in mind was a Snowdon variant with the 'shoe' part of the boot in rough-out and the leg in a contrasting material. Having spent well over an hour today going through the swatches in the shop, I narrowed it down to about a dozen (!) options, including a waterproof green nubuck, navy suede, ocean blue suede, navy grain and so on.

The problem with seeing all the options side-by-side is that it's difficult to settle on one option without immediately doubting your choice and thinking of another, equally effective combo...

Those Purdey boots are great; I posted a few of their models a couple or three months ago. I like the apron-front grain and nubuck boot (although I preferred the earlier grain and rough-out version that Purdey offered) in particular. The buckled boot was an option that I looked into for a special order but, like Crat, I think I'd struggle to find opportunities to wear it - and this bearing in mind that most of my footwear collection is 'country' stuff.

I've a pair of C&J Hastings brogues made for Purdey in a brown grain and they have aged fantastically, a truly beautiful example of the kind of naturally aged 'nice things' that appeal to a certain mindset of English sensibility.

I'm going to try the navy boots on with a few pairs of jeans and trousers tonight and make a decision as to whether or not to keep them and, if returning them, what special order combo to go with for a Snowdon...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think they look sharp and are going to be versatile. Good alternative to black and I see nothing overly fashion-forward (by which I expect "too trendy" was implied) about them. No disrespect to those who disagree.

The7Ups

Reaction score
Quote:
This Brummie, navy just doesn't do it for me (btw I have handled the black scotch grain that C&J uses on Onslow and Grasmere and I don't like it either so perhaps I have a double negative bias here). Having said all that they have a nice distinct silhouette and look good on you. Decisions, decisions.....

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope I am not taking too much steam from the Harlech MTO but their progress has peaked my interest in a whiskey shell Skye II. Anyone here interested in this type of MTO?

Specs:
Uppers: Horween Whiskey Shell
Last: 335 (standard last for the model)
Welt: Storm welt
Sole: Double leather
Eyelets: All blind

I guess a minimum of 6 (maximum of 12) orders are needed and payment is done up front. If I get a couple of commitments I will go forward and contact C&J in addition to speading the word to other threads on SF.

:D

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Deleted ... nevermind

Ok, at first I thought it wasn't working but it actually is. PSA: C&J Peal & Co's are 25% off at Brooks Brothers through Monday. After you've added them to the cart the discount shows up as "Order discount" under Payment total.

Alan K C

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's been awhile. After 7 months, my lady's shoes and my boots are finally here! Picked them up last night. But one of her shoe came with a small cut...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics