• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Fenners81

Reaction score
Can't wait for another pair of Pembroke's also. Well, I can, because I'd prefer a green scotch grain.

Hopefully C&J releases some nice 35th anniversary editions and otherwise I'll go the (G)MTO route.
I’m very tempted to the dark brown scotch to my collection very soon.

Ypuh

Reaction score
Ypuh continues pinning his hopes on that Green Scotch Grain Pembroke :D
I even made a small savings fund named "C&J Pembroke's" allocating a monthly sum. There's no going back now.

Anyway, it's good to build some patience. I don't know the exact number of footwear purchased this year, but let's assume it'll be better to spread out new purchases ;).

@Markintosh just like blue/navy, green may be a bit harder to style. I did sell off most shoes/boots that I can't wear every week, but green being my favorite color makes it much easier to style with some nice green sweaters or jackets that I have. A man should be allowed to have 1 or 2 fun pieces in their closet.

Menninki

Reaction score
They’re the only pair of black boots I own. I have to say I do like them, but then I’m very partial to anything Islay, including the scotch.
View attachment 2270471

I have a very similar boot, but from a fashion brand. As was pointed out here in the forum I had some doubts as well that I will be mistaken as skinhead, but it turned out that I get lot of use from the model and I really like it.

I think there is a subtle difference between an army boot and a black derby dress boot. That grained leather plays a part in that difference IMHO.

My recommendation: Go for the black derby boot if it suits your needs.

@jellyroller @Duke Santos ou :/ I didn't think about it in that way. I was almost decided to take black but now I have dilemma again.

Aren't you glad you have StyleForum to make you second guess every sartorial decision?

I hope I managed to make your head spin even more. Haha. :D

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I even made a small savings fund named "C&J Pembroke's" allocating a monthly sum. There's no going back now.

Anyway, it's good to build some patience. I don't know the exact number of footwear purchased this year, but let's assume it'll be better to spread out new purchases ;).

@Markintosh just like blue/navy, green may be a bit harder to style. I did sell off most shoes/boots that I can't wear every week, but green being my favorite color makes it much easier to style with some nice green sweaters or jackets that I have. A man should be allowed to have 1 or 2 fun pieces in their closet.
If i was to launch that mentioned GMTO, then i dont believe (for now) we will garner enough interest. But patience is wiser. We shall let 2025 arrive and see whats is store for the anniversary pembroke editions. I suspect a green scotch grain will feature in them.

P.S. i like the idea of a small savings fund. Maybe a seperate shoe trading bank account altogether is what some of us need.

Ypuh

Reaction score
Yeah, let's wait. If they'd re-release the previous green version, that probably be the easier option than a GMTO. On the other hand, I do prefer a Ridgeway over Dainite and we could do a few other tweaks which make it a fun experience.

In terms of saving, out of a collection of 10 or so shoes and boots, I never paid full price. Either very gently used, or new-secondhand or on a 25-40% sale. C&J doesn't really do discounts, so these would probably be my most expensive purchase (damn import taxes) which is fine, but forces me to think about it a bit longer :).

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Are these the stock model? Or an MTO?
These were purchased from Cavour a little over five years ago. It was as far as I know a stock offering from them, not resulting from a special order by them.

Markintosh

Reaction score
Yeah, let's wait. If they'd re-release the previous green version, that probably be the easier option than a GMTO. On the other hand, I do prefer a Ridgeway over Dainite and we could do a few other tweaks which make it a fun experience.

In terms of saving, out of a collection of 10 or so shoes and boots, I never paid full price. Either very gently used, or new-secondhand or on a 25-40% sale. C&J doesn't really do discounts, so these would probably be my most expensive purchase (damn import taxes) which is fine, but forces me to think about it a bit longer :).
I don’t see the Ridgeway on the C&J sole guide - is this something you can MTO from C&J - or do you need to have a cobbler do it?

Markintosh

Reaction score

I wear lots of light wash jeans - and I love wearing darker blue shoes with them - I know it’s weird, but I like to match my watch with the shoes - I have a omega seamaster with a dark navy blue alligator strap that goes perfectly with dark blue shoes. Green shoes are hard to match up with a watch.

Ypuh

Reaction score
I wear lots of light wash jeans - and I love wearing darker blue shoes with them - I know it’s weird, but I like to match my watch with the shoes - I have a omega seamaster with a dark navy blue alligator strap that goes perfectly with dark blue shoes. Green shoes are hard to match up with a watch.
Good thing my watch is green too then (not too visible in this photo, but as soon as the light hits, a beautiful shade of green appears).

Breitling Chronomat.jpg

After downsizing the collection I only got the one watch though. Might get one or two more over the years, but prefer to spend my funds elsewhere.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a very similar boot, but from a fashion brand. As was pointed out here in the forum I had some doubts as well that I will be mistaken as skinhead, but it turned out that I get lot of use from the model and I really like it.

I think there is a subtle difference between an army boot and a black derby dress boot. That grained leather plays a part in that difference IMHO.

My recommendation: Go for the black derby boot if it suits your needs.

I hope I managed to make your head spin even more. Haha. :D

This was strictly a resole as no other work needed to be done after they checked the boots when received. I went through the website and cost was $279 all in. This included a prepaid shipping label to ship to the UK ($20) and shipping back to me ($20). I paid online after they received and confirmed what work was required.

Good catch. Not a double row of stitching but the welt there could use some touch up
$279 is just crazy for a sole replacement. I believe its no longer worthwhile resoling shoes/boots. Better to just pass them on or sell them and buy a new pair instead.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liammy