• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

drewzter

Reaction score
interested in the boston 2 (376 last ) but never owned any C&J . i have owned alden lhs and allen edmonds loafers in size 6.5 D. they fit nicely. Should size 5.5 E equate?

the higher in-step and narrower heel for the 376 last sounds good for me.

bemk

Reaction score
🎹 ... everything you've got ... it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing ... 🎺

241024_0596_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Tan-Scotch-Grain.jpg

- Crockett & Jones Pembroke, Tan Scotch Grain -

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Shoe trees...

I'm thinking about buying the Pembroke (317 g-fit) and I would like your advice on shoe trees.
Which brand do you use?
Do your trees fit the 325 length wise?
Should I buy a larger size (e.g. 11 instead of 10) for g-fit?

bemk

Reaction score
Shoe trees...

I'm thinking about buying the Pembroke (317 g-fit) and I would like your advice on shoe trees.
Which brand do you use?
Do your trees fit the 325 length wise?
Should I buy a larger size (e.g. 11 instead of 10) for g-fit?

In general but especially for the wider G-fit you want a shoe tree where the toe box area is split and adjusts to the width when inserted.

I prefer the ones from Alden: https://www.aldenshop.com/products/alden-shoe-tree
Woodlore (have them too) also makes these.
Here you can see the construction a bit better: https://www.shoesandshirts.nl/acces...shirtsshoe-tree-american-cedar-wood_2385.html

Alternatively you could choose this type: https://berwickshoes.com/gb/shoetree.html
With these you can adjust the opening and angle of the split with the screws from the side.

My preference are the Alden / Woodlore trees, they just work great.

Sizewise: If your at a half-size, pick the next bigger size, so UK 7.5 Pembroke would be UK 8 shoe tree. You want some tension, not much, but some.
Some trees fit bigger than others in the same size and some have weaker springs, so there is no general perfect size recommendation. I have EU 41 ones that fit similar tight as EU 42 ones from a different maker.
Fwiw. in my UK 7.5 E Pembrokes I use the Alden ones in size M.

P.S.: I have some of the types shown at Berwick (concrete these from a German store) which area bit too tight (long) due to the tension of the springs as well as their size. If you take out the 1st of the 3 screws (counted from the heel) the heel section comes off and you can shorten the two springs that push the forepart, just in case it happens to you.

P.P.S.: The Alden trees are my made by the 'Rochester Shoe Tree Company' according to this article.
Here they are on their site: https://rstco.com/products/woodard-cedar-shoe-tree
And you can find them with other labels for sure.

Last edited:

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
In general but especially for the wider G-fit you want a shoe tree where the toe box area is split and adjusts to the width when inserted.

I prefer the ones from Alden: https://www.aldenshop.com/products/alden-shoe-tree
Woodlore (have them too) also makes these.
Here you can see the construction a bit better: https://www.shoesandshirts.nl/acces...shirtsshoe-tree-american-cedar-wood_2385.html

Alternatively you could choose this type: https://berwickshoes.com/gb/shoetree.html
With these you can adjust the opening and angle of the split with the screws from the side.

My preference are the Alden / Woodlore trees, they just work great.

Sizewise: If your at a half-size, pick the next bigger size, so UK 7.5 Pembroke would be UK 8 shoe tree. You want some tension, not much, but some.
Some trees fit bigger than others in the same size and some have weaker springs, so there is no general perfect size recommendation. I have EU 41 ones that fit similar tight as EU 42 ones from a different maker.
Fwiw. in my UK 7.5 E Pembrokes I use the Alden ones in size M.

P.S.: I have some of the types shown at Berwick (concrete these from a German store) which area bit too tight (long) due to the tension of the springs as well as their size. If you take out the 1st of the 3 screws (counted from the heel) the heel section comes off and you can shorten the two springs that push the forepart, just in case it happens to you.
Thank you very much for your reply, it is very informative. I also have trees from different makers and also ones that spring width ways, but they still don't fill my Conistons width ways. Another pair fit my Church's 173 last g-fits perfectly but are too big for any of my Crockett and Jones.
Shoes trees can be a bit of a mine field.
I am put off the Alden trees with the sizing being S, M, L but I really like the look of the Berwick with them being adjustable. Are they good quality?

bemk

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply, it is very informative. I also have trees from different makers and also ones that spring width ways, but they still don't fill my Conistons width ways. Another pair fit my Church's 173 last g-fits perfectly but are too big for any of my Crockett and Jones.

The Alden trees in size M fit my Pembrokes and Conistons in UK 7.5 E perfect, as said.
So ...

Shoes trees can be a bit of a mine field.

... yeah! 🍻

I am put off the Alden trees with the sizing being S, M, L but I really like the look of the Berwick with them being adjustable. Are they good quality?

I have them from the German label I had linked to, so I don't know the Berwick ones. On some the wood was a bit rough, so I used fine sand-paper.

They are pretty basic but they just work fine, only thing is that you cannot overly often engage the screws as they can come loose, especially when you overtighten them.I inserted small pieces from wooden tooth picks to help that.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
@PairOfDerby's , fwiw: Parallel to your post, I had added a 'P.P.S.' to my earlier post.
Thank you. On to my next question, and you are well qualified to answer (along with lots of others!).

Has the Tan Scotch Grain become darker recently? Looking at the TSG Pembrokes online, a lot of them look quite dark (see links for an example).
Is it just the lighting? Does the Tan vary a lot between shoes?

bemk

Reaction score
Has the Tan Scotch Grain become darker recently? Looking at the TSG Pembrokes online, a lot of them look quite dark (see links for an example).
Is it just the lighting?

First, I bet a pair of my Pembrokes that C&J does a consistent job with that leather.

Then, unless you have a fixed studio set-up you never get the same colour. It absolutely must be the lighting on the pictures made by different retailers (which are often bad enough compared to reality).
If in doubt, call C&J. They really answer the phone (opposed to many) and very kindly and supportive so.

Does the Tan vary a lot between shoes?

I have 3 pairs and they were essentially all the same. Look at this: #32,019

I always found the TSG on my Conistons more different to that of the Pembrokes than the TSG between these same boots and shoes. Of course the contrast from the broguing can amplify such perceptions.

Ypuh

Reaction score
Is it just the lighting? Does the Tan vary a lot between shoes?
Also noticed this on a recent pair on Ebay: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/156408749497

They don't look very new though, so it might be due to leather care.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karenschatz54