• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

ha er

Reaction score
Yes, I can see that. At least the colour is still recognizable here, unlike on the black pair where it's heavily faded away.
the black lingfields were only a bit dusty after walking the dog, as I ˋve told you already.
Maybe I am wrong, but your comments are a bit rude.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the black lingfields were only a bit dusty after walking the dog, as I ˋve told you already.
Maybe I am wrong, but your comments are a bit rude.

I'm sorry for having hurt your feelings. Didn't want to be rude.

I only thought that especially a black suede should have a deep colour.

Again, my sincere apologies.

Last edited:

Markintosh

Reaction score
I can to a certain degree… I have Pembroke in both Black Cavalry Calf and the Pembroke Burgundy Cavalry… prominent creases across the vamp is one way I’d characterise the leather. But it’s fine in all other regards. Particularly takes a shine quite well. Guess that’s the very nature of it. Mine are well worn, especially the black pair which aren’t far off a resole.
I have found that scotch grain and country grain has less pronounced vamp creases...all my C&J are from scotch or country, my one pair of calf is burgundy hand grade and the vamp creases much more, creases that don't come out even when shoe trees. My country grain Boston's crease wile I wear them, but the shoes trees take them out and they wear better over time...I'm not a huge fan of calf...I prefer country grain, scotch grain, and suede...I'm posting a picture of two pairs, one in calf, the other in suede (I realize these are not C&J - I just don't have picture of side-by-side right now)...you can see how creased the calf is, and I've worn this pair of suede more often, the calf has only been worn 7 or 8 times (these are JMW 180 loafers)...
IMG_0620.jpeg

YellowHandUp

Reaction score
I can to a certain degree… I have Pembroke in both Black Cavalry Calf and the Pembroke Burgundy Cavalry… prominent creases across the vamp is one way I’d characterise the leather. But it’s fine in all other regards. Particularly takes a shine quite well. Guess that’s the very nature of it. Mine are well worn, especially the black pair which aren’t far off a resole.
I have a pair of Pembroke in burgundy cavalry calf. They are great shoes. Not so many creases in mine and they are 4 years old. I read that saphir crème surfine is better for them than saphir d’or. Maybe that’s helping them age gracefully??? Really easy to care for. Wipe and go on most occasions.

martin92

Reaction score
Help me please with choosing correct size. I just received my new Islay in 2 sizes. Smaller one fits perfectly in heel and toe. But on spot where shoe tongue is attached to boot I feel discomfort because it is pushing to my instep.

Bigger size has perfect room in instep, but heel and forepart is roomier. I am ok with rooomier forepart, it is more comfortable so it is ok, but heel is not secured and bit moving during walk.

Will instep slightly released over time, or it is better to take bigger one?

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help me please with choosing correct size. I just received my new Islay in 2 sizes. Smaller one fits perfectly in heel and toe. But on spot where shoe tongue is attached to boot I feel discomfort because it is pushing to my instep.

Bigger size has perfect room in instep, but heel and forepart is roomier. I am ok with rooomier forepart, it is more comfortable so it is ok, but heel is not secured and bit moving during walk.

I had the exact same dilemma a while back.
Stuck with my normal size. But inserted shoe trees (that have a raised instep) and kept em in there for a while. Then wore them. Repeated this a few times. And now they're perfect. In my case we're talking about an Islay on roughout

martin92

Reaction score
Stuck with my normal size. But inserted shoe trees (that have a raised instep) and kept em in there for a while. Then wore them. Repeated this a few times. And now they're perfect. In my case we're talking about an Islay on roughout
These are scotch grain leather. I called to London store and they adviced me to kept smaller size, but I wanted know your experience.

IMG_8211.jpg

Stiglitz

Reaction score
Same with me. Islay in grain. Instep at start was uncomfortable but shoe trees and wear gradually sorted it & have been v comfortable ever since (had mine for 9 years)

If smaller size is your regular size, listen to the Store. You don’t want to be swimming around in them once you’ve broken them in

martin92

Reaction score
Same with me. Islay in grain. Instep at start was uncomfortable but shoe trees and wear gradually sorted it & have been v comfortable ever since (had mine for 9 years)

If smaller size is your regular size, listen to the Store. You don’t want to be swimming around in them once you’ve broken them in
Most of sneakers I had in size 8.5UK, but I have only 1 boots from CJ in last 335 and they are in bigger size because They were too snug in forepart, so I rather kept bigger size in 335, but they are bit lossier as I would like to have.

IMO 365 is more generous in forepart so 8.5 fit me great in length and width, only instep is uncomfortable.

bemk

Reaction score
IMO 365 is more generous in forepart so 8.5 fit me great in length and width, only instep is uncomfortable.

Check the instep at the end of the day, when your feet have swollen and use the thickest socks you would realistically wear in them.
If it already hurts, when you angle the foot (like climbing stairs) or you clearly know, that it will hurt you when wearing and walking, I would directly forget about it.

There is nothing wrong with buying a boot that feels a bit tight when new, but not when the boot gives you pain and most of all limits your mobility.

Also there is nothing wrong with a bit of heel slip as long as it is a bit. My method to check for length is to mount a boot unlaced and then angle the foot. If I directly step out of the boot when moving, then it's too long. As long as it somehow still stays in the boot, it can be fine.

C&J says this on heel slip: „A little heel slip is expected on all new shoes. This will reduce through wear, once the shoes mould to your feet over time.“

If the smaller Islay is too tight for your instep and the bigger one too long for your feet, then the last is probably and simply not a match for you.
I had the same impression with the Islay way back when I tried in at C&J. The 325 / 335 have a higher instep.

Last edited:

tomsocal

Reaction score
Apologies for beating this to death…
How are people with 9.5/10E on brannock sizing the Boston?

* There’s a long story behind my (mis)sizing issues but I’ve ordered UK 8.5 thinking I’m sizing up and they’re tight (up until recently I would consider this normal and maybe stretch and break them in). Meanwhile a day later I got measured for the first time at an AE store and it comes out that I’m between 9.5/10E with heel-to-ball of 8-8.5 and the new Randolph in 9.5E was a great fit (10D was tight in toe box and seemed longish but no heel slip or sliding).

Last edited:

Ypuh

Reaction score
C&J is usually 0.5-1 UK size down from US. For me it's 1 full size down (11 on Brannock to 10UK).

Not sure how you imagined going 1.5 size down and stretching them will work. I don't believe in stretching new shoes to begin with. It may resolve like the final 10% of comfort, but breaking in refers more to the welt/sole than it is about fit.

T1mb0

Reaction score
Apologies for beating this to death…
How are people with 9.5/10E on brannock sizing the Boston?

* There’s a long story behind my (mis)sizing issues but I’ve ordered UK 8.5 thinking I’m sizing up and they’re tight (up until recently I would consider this normal and maybe stretch and break them in). Meanwhile a day later I got measured for the first time at an AE store and it comes out that I’m between 9.5/10E with heel-to-ball of 8-8.5 and the new Randolph in 9.5E was a great fit (10D was tight in toe box and seemed longish but no heel slip or sliding).

I’m a UK 9.5 and having tried the Boston on in both 9.5 and 10 in-store, it was close, but went for the 9.5. I had a very small amount of heel slippage in the 10. HTH.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john01