• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

martin92

Reaction score
These are scotch grain leather. I called to London store and they adviced me to kept smaller size, but I wanted know your experience.

View attachment 2267709

Any thoughts which help me decide which color should I take? To be honest I like more dark brown, but these don't have Vibram, which I prefer for winter conditions. So I will have to create special order request, or pay for resole. Worth to pay more for brown, or should I take black? I like them as well but my daily outfit consists of blue jeans (light / mid / dark indigo) which works better with brown boots IMO.

Ypuh

Reaction score
I like both colors, but honestly, the times I wear black shoes in a year can be counted on one hand. Also, a lot of manufacturers produce a decent black grain and you lose a lot of the visual appeal between C&J and other brands (e.g. Tricker's has black zug grain Stow's in their Factory shop for half the price).

Personally not a fan of Dainite either, but would go for brown and wear them 1-2 years, and then go for a full resole to my liking.

Fenners81

Reaction score
I like both colors, but honestly, the times I wear black shoes in a year can be counted on one hand. Also, a lot of manufacturers produce a decent black grain and you lose a lot of the visual appeal between C&J and other brands (e.g. Tricker's has black zug grain Stow's in their Factory shop for half the price).

Personally not a fan of Dainite either, but would go for brown and wear them 1-2 years, and then go for a full resole to my liking.
Your comment made me look at the outlet site which I haven’t done for ages. I noticed they now clearly differentiate between discontinued styles and samples which is a positive move and removes the ambiguity that made me wary of buying from there.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your comment made me look at the outlet site which I haven’t done for ages. I noticed they now clearly differentiate between discontinued styles and samples which is a positive move and removes the ambiguity that made me wary of buying from there.
Its a lame website. If you do a search for shoes/boots by size, the results it shows will include pairs that are both the discontinued style items AND the sample sale items. So you cant tell which is which when the results are showing under your size. Also, both discounted style pairs and sample sale pairs are priced the same. Previously, the sample sale items used to be cheaper than the discontinued style items.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts which help me decide which color should I take? To be honest I like more dark brown, but these don't have Vibram, which I prefer for winter conditions. So I will have to create special order request, or pay for resole. Worth to pay more for brown, or should I take black? I like them as well but my daily outfit consists of blue jeans (light / mid / dark indigo) which works better with brown boots IMO.

I also prefer brown, generally, and find it more versatile, especially in a more classic wardrobe (thinking of corduroy, flannel, cavalry twill, gabardine, moleskin). In your case though, wearing mostly denim, I even think that black would suit better.

In any case I would take the boot with the sole provided.

bemk

Reaction score
DBSG🚶‍♂️

241023_0569_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-Dark-Brown-Scotch-Grain.jpg

- Crockett & Jones Coniston, Dark Brown Scotch Grain -

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown is much more versatile. Black derby boots (particularly with any type of lug sole) tend to have a real military/skinhead vibe that I don't dig.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stookygorilla