• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Ypuh

Reaction score
I followed @bemk his advice and sticked to neutral polish. The 03. Light brown would for sure have lightened them. I'm glad I did, because these puppies took much liking to my soapy wash and creme and made the color pop.

These C&J's are one of the best shoes I've worked on so far. Beautifully finished and the leather quality appears top notch.

Before:
20241004_105342.jpg

After:
20241005_184525.jpg
Happy TSG-week everyone!

Menninki

Reaction score
I followed @bemk his advice and sticked to neutral polish. The 03. Light brown would for sure have lightened them. I'm glad I did, because these puppies took much liking to my soapy wash and creme and made the color pop.

Happy TSG-week everyone!
That is a HUGE difference in color! I would never have guessed it was neutral polish.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score

These C&J's are one of the best shoes I've worked on so far. Beautifully finished and the leather quality appears top notch.

Before:
View attachment 2258567
After:
View attachment 2258561 Happy TSG-week everyone!
Surprising result that the colour pops and brightens up after neutral creme applied. Can i ask @Ypuh what your soapy wash entailed? What did you use. I dont know if scotch grain requires any soapy wash when it can easily be just wiped down with a damp cloth

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love my islays, the speed hooks frustrate me. Firstly, I think 5 is too many but my main issue is that my laces pop out of the top ones. I tie them tight and double knot but it still happens. Any tips?
Learn this knot and I promise you, you’ll never have that problem again.

If an Islay ever came out in this natural roughout, it would be a stunner
Sounds like you’ve identified the next killer GMTO!

Ypuh

Reaction score
Surprising result that the colour pops and brightens up after neutral creme applied. Can i ask @Ypuh what your soapy wash entailed? What did you use. I dont know if scotch grain requires any soapy wash when it can easily be just wiped down with a damp cloth
As these were 2nd hand I preferred to start with a good clean.

I used the Saphir Leather Soap (a less chemical and slightly nourishing version of Saddle Soap), and then left it to dry overnight.
Screenshot 2024-10-06 074000.png

The next day I used dark brown creme on the edges, and neutral on the upper. Also a little bit of wax (pate de luxe) on both the edges and upper, not so much for a shine, but more for weather protection. It does look good in the photo, but I'm not going for a gloss shine on these.

Looking forward to wearing them. They'll be used in a rotation of 4-5 in my daily office wear. Probably being the most casual option next to some suede shoes, but as I work with IT, anything that's not a sneaker already is a small victory.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
As these were 2nd hand I preferred to start with a good clean.

I used the Saphir Leather Soap (a less chemical and slightly nourishing version of Saddle Soap), and then left it to dry overnight.
View attachment 2258811

The next day I used dark brown creme on the edges, and neutral on the upper. Also a little bit of wax (pate de luxe) on both the edges and upper, not so much for a shine, but more for weather protection. It does look good in the photo, but I'm not going for a gloss shine on these.

Looking forward to wearing them. They'll be used in a rotation of 4-5 in my daily office wear. Probably being the most casual option next to some suede shoes, but as I work with IT, anything that's not a sneaker already is a small victory.
Thats great. I totally understand now why you started with a good clean. And what a result after your treatment. I will try out this soap. Enjoy wearing them in good health 👍

Fenners81

Reaction score

Before:
View attachment 2258567
After:
You smashed it. They look so good.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Learn this knot and I promise you, you’ll never have that problem again.

Sounds like you’ve identified the next killer GMTO!

Then one day on a cool misty autumn morning, Stephenaf tells him

"sounds like you identified the next killer GMTO".

And suddenly, Humpty saw a huge flock of currency notes with wings rushing hurriedly across the air in front of him, flapping their wings with great intent and disappearing into the vast sky......💸💸💸

Last edited:

T1mb0

Reaction score
Then one day on a cool misty autumn morning, Stephenaf tells him

"sounds like you identified the next killer GMTO".

And suddenly, Humpty saw a huge flock of currency notes with wings rushing hurriedly across the air in front of him, flapping their wings with great intent and disappearing into the vast sky......💸💸💸

heading in the direction of ‘Northampton’
😁

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Before:
View attachment 2258567
After:

As much as I like as the shoes look after the treatment, I also find that they have become noticeably darker, probably the effect of having used some wax, as you said in a following message.

But it's likely just a matter of time for the leather to regain its original shade.

smooth bernie

Reaction score
NB: I still have a pair of unworn C&J Cavendish 2 tassel loafers in dark brown suede.

Size: UK 9.5/US 10.5/EU 43.5
Price: €499,- (with tracked shipping etc.)
Link

Bought these on final sale from the US, but I accidentally ordered them in UK 9.5 instead of US 9.5

1728204626060.png

Ypuh

Reaction score
As much as I like as the shoes look after the treatment, I also find that they have become noticeably darker, probably the effect of having used some wax, as you said in a following message.

But it's likely just a matter of time for the leather to regain its original shade.
Yes, I think part of it is the renovateur soaking into the leather, and then the wax making the color look richer/deeper. I expect them to fade back to the yellowish/tan color instead of the orangy you see now.

I like both. Never expected such a difference after one treatment, but it's fun. Moving forward I won't use wax (only on sole edge) and creme maybe twice a year. I prefer a more matte finish similar like Acorn Tricker's, but with the grain pattern visible.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So rather than taking the advice of my close friends and family, I have chosen to trust my loose forum acquaintances instead, and ordered the TSG Conistons. I know you guys have my best interest at heart, and I always appreciate your straight, unbiased advice. Will post pics on Monday.
I am with you in this.

I started my growing C&J collection with the same warm feelings. This forum is filled with very nice chaps that supply great ideas to square my hard earned money.

I am sure my wife thinks the opposite about my SF friends.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance