• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoes83

Reaction score
I have generally found that English E width is wider than American D width - but not by a full width size, more like half.

Traditionally, they say that English length should be one up from your American length. Thus if you take a 9D in American measurement, you should get an 8E in English measurement.

I think this is a mistake.

I usually instead suggest a half size down. Instead of 9, you should get an 8.5 at the smallest.

Example: I take an 11.5 EEE in American sizes. Because of this, if I got my Pembroke at 10.5 E, they would have been too small. Now, I could have gotten them in 11 E, but I found these too snug - because once again, I have wide enough feet. So I went for 11.5 E, which fit me perfectly.

Conversely, as the Aldershot have more room as a boot, 11.0 was fine for me.
It seems like your situation is different from most people's because of the width of your feet. It doesn't make going down one size between U.S. and U.K. wrong (e.g. 12US to 11UK), just not the right solution for you (and those in a similar situation).

For me, I go down one size even for shoes like EG's, which most people take at half a size down from their U.S. size. It all comes down to the shape and intricacies of the human feet.

Lionsfan

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking to get the Lindrick boots in Cordovan. Is this still possible with the groupbuy? Where are those groups located!? Thanks!

kik595

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking to get the Lindrick boots in Cordovan. Is this still possible with the groupbuy? Where are those groups located!? Thanks!
Outside of certain affiliated retailers or deals (the 'James Bond/NTTD' collection, for ex) I'm not sure C&J is doing much GMTO these days - you could try reaching out to them directly however; the C/S people have been polite and usually helpful if not always swift in my own limited experience.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of the Black Scotch Grain Conistons.
20230828_110027.jpg
20230828_105906.jpg
20230828_105830.jpg
20230828_105937.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like your situation is different from most people's because of the width of your feet. It doesn't make going down one size between U.S. and U.K. wrong (e.g. 12US to 11UK), just not the right solution for you (and those in a similar situation).

For me, I go down one size even for shoes like EG's, which most people take at half a size down from their U.S. size. It all comes down to the shape and intricacies of the human feet.

I think you may well be right. Given I have wide feet, I have to take an alternative approach.

The last in English shoes tend to make a big difference, too.

TommyB

Reaction score
I have generally found that English E width is wider than American D width - but not by a full width size, more like half.

Traditionally, they say that English length should be one up from your American length. Thus if you take a 9D in American measurement, you should get an 8E in English measurement.

I think this is a mistake.

I usually instead suggest a half size down. Instead of 9, you should get an 8.5 at the smallest.

Example: I take an 11.5 EEE in American sizes. Because of this, if I got my Pembroke at 10.5 E, they would have been too small. Now, I could have gotten them in 11 E, but I found these too snug - because once again, I have wide enough feet. So I went for 11.5 E, which fit me perfectly.

Conversely, as the Aldershot have more room as a boot, 11.0 was fine for me.
I think this is a good example of the fact that our feet are all different and that nothing beats really trying shoes on, until then it’s really only guesswork (more or less informed, of course). Maybe it has do do with the width, but if I only sized down 0.5 from my normal US size to my UK (Crockett & Jones) size they would definitely be too big.

For reference, I wear the following sizes in the Alden lasts:
US9.5D (my Brannock size) in Plaza, Aberdeen, Leydon
US9D in Barrie, Van

In Crockett & Jones I wear UK8.5E in all the lasts I have (314, 325, 335, 341).

TommyB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Check here:

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
First dainite boot I had felt like it was a cement sole. Recently bought a boot I loved which was only available in dainite and it feels much better. Still, for those in harsh climates, I have heard that dainite is not too good on ice and snow.
From personal experience, I would agree that dainite is a risky affair on ice and snow. Doesnt given grip and causes sudden slipping

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First dainite boot I had felt like it was a cement sole. Recently bought a boot I loved which was only available in dainite and it feels much better. Still, for those in harsh climates, I have heard that dainite is not too good on ice and snow.

Dainite is good in wet, but useless on ice.

bemk

Reaction score
I would just use dark brown going forward and eventually the shoes will deepen in colour. That being said, I find the Pembroke's dark brown scotch grain is not as dark as some others from C&J, anyway, so this isn't that big of a concern.

Thank you very much for your input on this! 🌞

Yes, using a dark brown from now on was also my plan as the resulting mixed color was a bit bright. But I had to act much earlier as the Saphir Creme started to crack at the wrinkles.

So - once again - I cleaned them with gall soap in a 1st step and with Renomat in a 2nd step and then nourished them with La Lumière 'Moist Care'. According to Urban Buchmann from the Boot Black shop he had customer reports saying, that the leather would accept color better using this instead of Renovateur. As 'Moist Care' is a lotion and not a greasy cream and has less waxes, I can well imagine this.

To get more even color into the leather I then did not use shoe cream, but the Espresso 'patina cream' from the Boot Black 'Collections Edition'. The description says: „The shoe and leather cream Collections is a discreet recolouring cream with water-based and nano-colour pigments.
A special cream for permanently re-colouring shoes or to give them an antique finish. Mixed with argan oil to provide the leather with moisture and oil, the so-called nourishing of the leather.“

The result looked great, but I had a few spots that didn't accept the cream (even with repeated use and later added regular shoe cream not) and these spots looked like stains.

So one more time I took off cream, but this time very sparse and I did it with Renovateur, which contains solvents, but doesn't dry out the leather like Renomat.
I did this with the goal to keep the basic dark tint from the Espresso and worked towards a bit of patina character by not removing the cream evenly. In a final step I once again used the Espresso cream to make this look more authentic.

And this is it. From all I had done and tried, this result looks the closest to the original Pembroke and now this is a pair I love to wear. Which makes me really happy, because in the meantime I had been a bit afraid, that I had ruined the leather.

So, here's my last update and final chapter of the story:

230829_20692_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Dark-Brown-Scotch-Grain.jpg
230829_20695_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Dark-Brown-Scotch-Grain.jpg
230829_20702_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Dark-Brown-Scotch-Grain.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics