• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Naesuk

Reaction score
Coniston boots - new owner.... I got a good deal on these boots from eBay, not worn or seconds. I'm more an Edward Green boot man and thought they seemed a bit clumpy at first. Love them now, fit like a glove and I think the only big boots I've had that didn't need any breaking in or pain. I creamed them and polished first and been wearing them for a week with a fair amount of rain and very impressed. A quick wipe down and they look good.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coniston boots - new owner.... I got a good deal on these boots from eBay, not worn or seconds. I'm more an Edward Green boot man and thought they seemed a bit clumpy at first. Love them now, fit like a glove and I think the only big boots I've had that didn't need any breaking in or pain. I creamed them and polished first and been wearing them for a week with a fair amount of rain and very impressed. A quick wipe down and they look good.

Lovely boots, glad you are enjoying them.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Naesuk Nice pair of Conistons, I'm still deciding should I purchase them or a pair of Snowdon, though I wish they made a dark brown colour as well.

Do you have a feel CJ fits better than EG?

I have bit of a heel slip lately with the EG shoes, while CJ fits tight and sweet, and gets better after each wear.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

68Bullitt

Reaction score
@Naesuk Enjoy your new Conistons! They are my favorite to wear. I grab them over my Islay or Harlechs each time.

@Nikola How soon are you trying to make a boot purchase? If there is no rush, would you consider trying to get our Snowdon MTO off the ground again? I was thinking we could see if there are any other takers on other forums and direct them to that make-up.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@68Bullitt Not in a hurry at all. If I haven't bought them already I can as well wait until the next fall/winter .. The Spring is coming where I live ..

Trouble is no one except 4 of us actually appears to be interested .. I even posted it in the Market thread, many views, but no more interested ..

We need 12 pairs for that MTO.

Last edited:

Naesuk

Reaction score

@Naesuk
Nice pair of Conistons, I'm still deciding should I purchase them or a pair of Snowdon, though I wish they made a dark brown colour as well.

Do you have a feel CJ fits better than EG?

I have bit of a heel slip lately with the EG shoes, while CJ fits tight and sweet, and gets better after each wear.

Thanks for the nice words. Not sure on the EG v C&J fit. It seems a bit of a lottery to me. I have a number of their shoes with the same last but size goes up or down. I picked up a new pair of Tetbury boots this summer, my old ones are size 10. I tried on three pars of 10's and they all fitted slightly differant? Went for a 9.5 in the end. Given the cost I would if possible always try on first.

On C&J customer service can't fault them. I left my old Tetbury boots out in the garden last summer and a fox or rat had a nice meal out of the top of the boots. I was going to bin them but mentioned it to the staff in the shop. They told me to bring them in so they could have a look. They sent them back to the factory and they did a nice patch on both boots, relined them and gave them a good polish. No cost all free of charge.

Last edited:

Naesuk

Reaction score

^ That's incredible customer service! Wow.

I was really impressed. Before and after photos, sorry about the quality but not around at the moment to show how good the fix is. In fact it looks really good almost like a custom made boot with identical strips around both boots that match the leather, plus new lining which they didn't need to do.

As you can see one boot gave something a happy meal, the other wasn't as bad but they did both so they would not look odd. A+++++++++, I can't imagine many shoe companies would do that free. Maybe a good idea for a new thread? Cheers.

The lining looks a bit rough but this was taken when I got them back and has now rounded off nicely.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Cleav
Just saw your Ragged Trouser Philanthropist thread. Great initiative Sir! I encourage all to take a read.

Very kind of you Bingo, thanks for the nod.

I too, though shamelessly, encourage everyone drops by. Any PM for goods will be sorted anonymously as will any kind donations

Thanks again Bingo :fistbump:

scottf

Reaction score
@Naesuk - Congrats on your Conistons! Nice pic's.

I also bought some Conistons this week. Strangely, I am 1.5 sizes down from my US size with these. I learned this from buying some C&J Lullworth suede saddle shoes recently which are also from the 325 last. The deep tan or butterscotch color is richer looking than any of the web photos I've seen. To me, the color is much more versatile than I expected. I have worn these with khakis, navy and olive/brown slacks and they look great with all three. I can also tell the break-in period will be minimal on these. I find that the key to comfort is to tie the laces loosely at the top to allow ankle flex. I also use a straight across lacing up to the hooks which reduces instep pressure.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you brannock and what size did you purchase scott? I am emailing robertuk may pull the trigger soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads