• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

seems like they are slowly phasing out 337 in favor of 348/358.  most of the new handgrades are on 358 with a few in 361 (the Millbank last)

For me the 337 is neither fish nor foul. I can't wear an 8.5 it is too long and the 8 is too short.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G, thanks that was precisely the answer I needed. An 8.5 in the 341 is a perfect fit. I am an 8 in the 358 but the shoes start out a touch tight and the 8.5 is too big. I am guessing the 348 would likely not work--even a smidge shorter would make it at poor fit. I will have to wait until my next visit to NYC to see for sure. I am waiting on a pair of Burgundy Ardens and the wait is killing me.
Does anyone have a comparison of all C&J lasts like they do in the Alden thread?

I find C&J consistent with sizing though different last fits differently. I am in size 9E for all 348/358, 337 and 341.

348/358 is narrower at the front than 337 or 341, but the heel for 348/358 feels about the same as 337. 341 the heel is widest of the above mentioned lasts. 337 fits closer to 341 with the front a bit wider and heel a bit narrower. Last 348 chukka boots are a bit tighter across the vamp.

Here're some iphone pictures.

337 top vs. 348 bottom

337 top vs. JL 7000 bottom

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just asked my guy in NY to send me the Drummond--going to try the same size as the 341. I wear an 8 in the 358 but going with 8.5 in the 348. Hoping for a perfect fit!

Nothing like a test drive to know for sure. It will almost undoubtably fit you fine in width - you'll know soon enough if it's too long or not.

I think the Drummond is just about my favorite shoe on earth at the moment (for the price) - totally tasteful and traditional but clean and modern at the same time - good choice you made! :nodding:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing like a test drive to know for sure. It will almost undoubtably fit you fine in width - you'll know soon enough if it's too long or not.
I think the Drummond is just about my favorite shoe on earth at the moment (for the price) - totally tasteful and traditional but clean and modern at the same time - good choice you made! :nodding:

Thanks. Hoping the fit is there.

kungapa

Reaction score
I got the Northcotes from Barney's a little while back. Fit me WAY too long - it looked clownish, sadly.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like the C&J for Ralph Lauren Darlton/Marlow PTB (on 325 last) in dark cognac shell.

Thanks. Just checked the Ralph site and didn't see them for sale. Are they a model that comes back up for sale or am I out of luck?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Just checked the Ralph site and didn't see them for sale. Are they a model that comes back up for sale or am I out of luck?

Once in a blue moon I think they do. There's usually a lot of fuss when they do so don't feel the need to check constantly as you'll see here.

Never appealed to me, personally. Why not just buy the C&J MTM version for cheaper?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Once in a blue moon I think they do. There's usually a lot of fuss when they do so don't feel the need to check constantly as you'll see here.
Never appealed to me, personally. Why not just buy the C&J MTM version for cheaper?

Sorry, I'm new to C&J. Just got a pair (Peal & Co) from Brooks Brothers and was shocked by how awesome they are. So, how do I go about getting the MTM version you speak of? Didn't see anything on their website about that.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I'm new to C&J. Just got a pair (Peal & Co) from Brooks Brothers and was shocked by how awesome they are. So, how do I go about getting the MTM version you speak of? Didn't see anything on their website about that.

If I recall, C&J will do a run of any shoe they produce in any leather. Therefore, just ask them for the price for the Pembroke in horse bum, sorry(!), shell cordovan.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J will run any shoe from the same grade in any color leather from that grade for a 50 pound upcharge. That's calf.

I'm not sure what their upcharge for shell will be - but I agree with Ich_Dien - contact them directly - they run a huge 'mail order' business you can even still fax in your order on a printed order form (how old school is that?).

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score
337 fits me better than a 358. I'm normally a size 11, but a size 11 Rosemoor feel to wide across the front of the foot. A 10.5 is better but its a little bit squishy in the toe-box.

Not sure if I'd just get a 10.5 Rosemoor and let a size 11 shoe tree give me enough room around my little toe.

dandie

Reaction score
Well isn't that because 50% of their shoes are on those lasts?

No - in the main range 12 of 68 models are on the 348 last, for handgrade 8 of 16 models are on the 358 last, so overall >50% the sales are from 20 models from a full range of 84

There is a migration of shoes towards the 348/58 - eg the brunswick 2 is a 358 last, whereas the original was not

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

No - in the main range 12 of 68 models are on the 348 last, for handgrade 8 of 16 models are on the 358 last, so overall >50% the sales are from 20 models from a full range of  84

There is a migration of shoes towards the 348/58 - eg the brunswick 2 is a 358 last, whereas the original was not

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads