• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sup G! Cottesmore with a single application of brown saphir creme

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a shame they don't do the cottesmore in a very dark brown as I'd definitely buy it then!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'sup N!

Where you been man!

Cottsmores look terrible!

:hide:

Just kidding! They look good! It's amazing what a few coats of color can do!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's a shame they don't do the cottesmore in a very dark brown as I'd definitely buy it then!

I agree. My goal is to darken them to resemble a dark brown. thus every application of creme/polish will be a burgundy or brown. looking forward to the progression

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this same shoe in a lighter cinnamon color. I love it. But I also like the color of yours. I've owned a lot of suede shoes and your color can be very forgiving. I recommend spraying them with a water proofing spray. It will keep them looking their best fo a very long time.

Cross-post.

Westfield from Barneys:

photo5.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

'sup N!
Where you been man!
Cottsmores look terrible!
:hide:
Just kidding! They look good! It's amazing what a few coats of color can do!

work, stuff, life, etc. SF wise, im spending a lot more time on the SW&D side. i guess you could say im spending more time with the sneaker crowd. today i wore these:

:nodding:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Them shooz has they own purse!

:lol:

Traitor!

:slapfight:

ap10046

Reaction score

Sup G! Cottesmore with a single application of brown saphir creme
Namor, Those look Much better!! How did you apply the polish? Brush? Cloth? Would the darker polish "streak"? Have you attempted to darken further?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tarmac,
No wonder..i think when I started my search for a pair of Cottesmores, a search brought yours up and thats what inspired me. I love them..but the C&J Chestnut, in my opinion is just a bit too burnt orange? Thank you for clarifying that your's is a completely different shoe, but I just have to tone these down a bit...or sell them...

^ polish with brown. chestnut takes darker polish well. ive only applied a single coat on my cottesmore but the change is noticeably better, darker, richer

First off, I totally encourage you to experiment with coloring if you want to try. It's pretty hard to completely ruin a shoe. But I don't think you will be able to get it this dark unless you do one of those acetone strip and restain, etc.

cottesmore_darkbrown.jpg

I used to have a very light tan pair of CJ Polo Jodhpurs, they were one of my favorites but they fit odd, that is the only reason I got rid of them. The color was great.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Them shooz has they own purse!
:lol:
Traitor!
:slapfight:

lol. im 25 so whenever I go out, I attempt to dress age appropriately. cant wear my C&J austerity broque wingtip in cavalry brown at da clubz. da purse comes in quite handy... chapstick, credit card, keys, etc

Namor,
Those look Much better!!
How did you apply the polish? Brush? Cloth? Would the darker polish "streak"?
Have you attempted to darken further?

not yet. ill post a pic after the next application

Tarmac, I agree with your point. Im not looking for a brown. a light brown will be just fine for me

Last edited:

ap10046

Reaction score

First off, I totally encourage you to experiment with coloring if you want to try. It's pretty hard to completely ruin a shoe. But I don't think you will be able to get it this dark unless you do one of those acetone strip and restain, etc.
cottesmore_darkbrown.jpg

I used to have a very light tan pair of CJ Polo Jodhpurs, they were one of my favorites but they fit odd, that is the only reason I got rid of them. The color was great.

Lord Above!!!
Those shoes are just FANTASTIC...!

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have this same shoe in a lighter cinnamon color. I love it. But I also like the color of yours. I've owned a lot of suede shoes and your color can be very forgiving. I recommend spraying them with a water proofing spray. It will keep them looking their best fo a very long time.

Cheers, PSG. I actually saw them in your post about your go-to items and pulled the trigger shortly thereafter. I've wanted a pair of suede captoes for a while and never pulled the trigger on suede McKays a few years back when they were on sale and regretted it.

costanaconda

Reaction score
I'm trying to ID these. They sort of look like C&Js with the brouging but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. They do have 6 lace eyelets though...

ETA: I actually meant how the toe angles down toward the front, it's a compound angle that is kinda unique, i'd think. They are quite comfortable.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads