• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks! Is the 7.5 segment as vastly represented in the shop as the 9+ish is? Or do they have a stricter QC for the smaller sizes? :)  
About a year ago the 7.5 subs appeared pretty often on ebay but now there's a definite shortage of them. 

You're welcome.

They're QC will be what it is regardless of size. what is there at any given time is based on what is running and what is identified as imperfect. The staff there, will tell you and i happen to know from experience that it is true that the smaller sizes tend to get snapped up by Eastern visitors.

I'm UK 7.5 and I've never struggled to see shoes that I like and will buy based on this and of course value. This is plainly different from having a particular shoe/boot in mind as you are likely to be disappointed more often than not.

andermt

Reaction score
You're welcome.

They're QC will be what it is regardless of size. what is there at any given time is based on what is running and what is identified as imperfect. The staff there, will tell you and i happen to know from experience that it is true that the smaller sizes tend to get snapped up by Eastern visitors.

I'm UK 7.5 and I've never struggled to see shoes that I like and will buy based on this and of course value. This is plainly different from having a particular shoe/boot in mind as you are likely to be disappointed more often than not.

Similarly I go for a look just to see what is on the shelves, quite a few times I've not bought anything.

There were quite a few eastern purchasers in on Friday, all sporting bags from Edward Green, so obviously doing the tour.
lol8[1].gif

This time I was specifically looking for a pair of Tetbury's in Black. They had them in 10's and 12's, I'm a 10.5 or 11. Almost walked out but decided to try on the 10's, just in case, and they were a perfect fit.
I'd previously tried on other 10's, a double monk, a few weeks back and they didn't fit. So sometimes worth checking the sizes above & below, just in case.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Similarly I go for a look just to see what is on the shelves, quite a few times I've not bought anything.

There were quite a few eastern purchasers in on Friday, all sporting bags from Edward Green, so obviously doing the tour.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

This time I was specifically looking for a pair of Tetbury's in Black. They had them in 10's and 12's, I'm a 10.5 or 11. Almost walked out but decided to try on the 10's, just in case, and they were a perfect fit. 
I'd previously tried on other 10's, a double monk, a few weeks back and they didn't fit. So sometimes worth checking the sizes above & below, just in case.

Good advice. I've got probably 4 or 5 pairs that are marked a different size to my preference. Try on! :nodding:

DrNik

Reaction score
I live in the tropics and always wear boots. Often Church's Ryder. Admittedly though I have only just started wearing my Islay on a trip to Scotland. To my utter dismay i think they may be too large despite being a 1/2 size smaller than my Church's. My toenail ends before last four dots of broguing, probably with 1.75cm of room. Thoughts on this?

Giannis

Reaction score
I live in the tropics and always wear boots. Often Church's Ryder. Admittedly though I have only just started wearing my Islay on a trip to Scotland. To my utter dismay i think they may be too large despite being a 1/2 size smaller than my Church's. My toenail ends before last four dots of broguing, probably with 1.75cm of room. Thoughts on this?
That is interesting for me as I consider buying the Islay and my only british shoes sizing comparison for me can be done with the Ryder. What size do you wear in the Ryder and what would you think that it would be good on the Islay?

I wear a UK 10 in G wide fitting, so crockett suggested me to take the UK 10.5E. Any comments about the width?

DrNik

Reaction score
I feel that my 10.5E Islay are more generous in width and length compared to my 11F Ryder. It will prove an expensive mistake if I can't recover most of the replacement cost.

Sorry Giannis, I meant to quote you but new to site and still getting a handle on features

Last edited:

Giannis

Reaction score
I feel that my 10.5E Islay are more generous in width and length compared to my 11F Ryder. It will prove an expensive mistake if I can't recover most of the replacement cost.

Sorry Giannis, I meant to quote you but new to site and still getting a handle on features
I firstly purchashed the Ryder in uk9,5F and it was too narrow for me. The E fitting of C&J is something like FX in churchs, so slightly more generous.

C&J suggested me to go up half a size, because the E is narrower than the G. But i m surprised that you went half a size down and they still are big in length.

Do you consider of getting them back to the store?

Last edited:

DrNik

Reaction score
Even with thicker socks, as intended for a winter boot, I still feel they are too long with some slip at heel. Unfortunately, I have worn them for 2 afternoons outside and show some creasing, hence I can not exchange.

DrNik

Reaction score

I firstly purchashed the Ryder in uk9,5F and it was too narrow for me. The E fitting of C&J is something like FX in churchs, so slightly more generous. 

C&J suggested me to go up half a size, because the E is narrower than the G. But i m surprised that you went half a size down and they still are big in length. 

Do you consider of getting them back to the store?

Sorry, meant to quote you again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads