• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will build a new wardrobe. Will be focused and intentional but minimal. Been holding cloth that I really like and think have enough cloth for an optimal wardrobe. My tastes have evolved and have some interesting pieces to make.
Can’t justify making for myself at present because of the backlog of work.

L.deJong

Reaction score
Will build a new wardrobe. Will be focused and intentional but minimal. Been holding cloth that I really like and think have enough cloth for an optimal wardrobe. My tastes have evolved and have some interesting pieces to make.
Can’t justify making for myself at present because of the backlog of work.
That's always the problem, I can tell you if you don't make time for it you will never find the time.
Same for me, as soon as I have less meetings with clients I find something else I need to do.
And as soon as I plan that 'something' all kind of new clients start calling/emailing me and I have a fully booked agenda again... literally impossible to plan a vacation that way. I can tell you that I should plan more vacations, so I get more clients.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Close to two years ago, I didn't bid well enough on one of @SpooPoker's auctions and didn't buy a Cavour Fox Brothers TD50 jacket. I don't even have a link to the one on Cavour's website because it was already out of stock/production when the auction happened and is long gone. Here's the fox bros website: https://foxflannel.com/products/check-2 - inspiration I showed the tailor - https://foxflannel.com/cdn/shop/files/FoxTweed07_1799x1799.jpg?v=1691140913

Fellas, that bloody jacket was stuck in my mind for ages. I coulda had it for $250 and probably altered it for $100 or less to be good. But I didn't. Whoops.

We're in the final stages here - adjusting the sleeves a bit (I like flat cut on any sort of pattern that has straight horizontal lines.) Will pick it up.

Pictured with LP mainline trousers (thanks Luxeswap) that got taken in and lengthened, except I didn't quite put a belt on and it's apparent, and crappy shoes and a t-shirt because I was lazy and I knew it would fit right / I could judge the details without needing any of the usual bits. Damn, I really need to put this together properly to take a proper photo, but it's going to be done soon so I'll do it properly soon for you. A little too excited not to share it now.

Details are pretty straightforward. Natural shoulder, light padding, flap pockets without a ticket pocket, dark brown horn buttons, quarters are more closed ad less curved than the Italian style I often like, fairly wide lapels (I forget the exact width). Three-roll-two. Full lined, because I have one mostly-unlined tweed jacket and that's not something I will choose for myself, let me tell you what. We didn't do anything special like an undarted front or a single piece back to keep the pattern perfect. No turn-back cuffs like in the inspo photo though. Also, though this fabric is obviously warm, we didn't do the storm collar, or anything else interesting like a half-belt, or box pleat flapped pockets, or anything else that's heavily inspired by a norfolk or field jacket, in order to make it more of a general-purpose winter jacket -- just a simple 3r2 tweed.

The cloth is gorgeous - not exactly the best for living in san jose but it will get some use. Heavy, a bit scratchy, thick, and hangs and drapes like, well, a 500g tweed cloth. What do you expect? There's no need for trickery or magic like some summer 180-250g cloths that manage to drape like they're not ephemeral, yknow? This thing is very much what you'd expect.

My tailor's shop has the absolute worst lighting. I hope you will forgive me for the terrible photo (attached):

@comrade you are always welcome to come by Spoon, I'll be picking it up ..... soon. Presumably.

Attachments

• 1 (5).jpeg
    1 (5).jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 75

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
question: is it possible to have too many navy suits? I’m placing my orders for next summer & it’s looking like 3 for this summer

never!!

ever!!!

make it your uniform!!

although grey worsteds are superior imo, navy suits are an excellent anchor for coordinating great and tasteful CM combinations.

navy clears

grey is the 🐐

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question: is it possible to have too many navy suits? I’m placing my orders for next summer & it’s looking like 3 for this summer
LOL my record before I got fat and had a wardrobe overhaul was 14. Now I only have 2 not counting blazers which I also have 2.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never!!

ever!!!

make it your uniform!!

although grey worsteds are superior imo, navy suits are an excellent anchor for coordinating great and tasteful CM combinations.

navy clears

grey is the 🐐
More versatile, you think?

I (admittedly a boring person) tend to find myself gravitating to VERY classic looks (which for me means a white shirt and wedding tie lol) with navy suits. Still love the look, of course...but think I mentally pigeonhole myself

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More versatile, you think?

I (admittedly a boring person) tend to find myself gravitating to VERY classic looks (which for me means a white shirt and wedding tie lol) with navy suits. Still love the look, of course...but think I mentally pigeonhole myself

Navy suit ->white shirt -> grey/silver/mid grey tie perhaps the most elegant suit combination, hands down, yet so many people fail to grasp that combo. It's so easy to pull off and absolutely it never fails. So many tie variations in that color range as well.

IMO, navy is indeed a versatile choice but must be confined in terms of color combos. In a way, its best to "pigeonhole" oneself and restrict the color palette to a select few colors and shades in order to bring the best out of the plain navy canvas/background. But within that confined framework there are plenty of combos.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkumar