• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question re: vents splaying open

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know that when the vents on a jacket splay open, it's usually an indication of the jacket being too tight.

But on some of my jackets that fit well otherwise, my right vent tends to open up a touch as compared to my left which sits flat. This happens with or without my wallet present in my right rear pocket, btw.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm no tailor and it's difficult to know without pics. Assuming that it's not a problem with pressing of the suit, my guess would be that perhaps your body is not perfectly proportioned at the hips and that one hip is higher/lower/sticks out more than the other. Consequently letting both sides out/taking both sides in equally doesn't really work for you. One side might need more adjustment than the other.

Everyone has little idosyncracies in their body. I for example have a low hip and a low shoulder.

Not sure, just a very uneducated guess.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asymetrical buttocks?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a new jacket or a used one? I have come across jackets where the vent is whipped out and does not even close right when it's on a hanger. In some of these cases the vent is torn a bit at the top. I am not sure if a pressing can help such things.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I'm no tailor and it's difficult to know without pics. Assuming that it's not a problem with pressing of the suit, my guess would be that perhaps your body is not perfectly proportioned at the hips and that one hip is higher/lower/sticks out more than the other. Consequently letting both sides out/taking both sides in equally doesn't really work for you. One side might need more adjustment than the other.

Everyone has little idosyncracies in their body. I for example have a low hip and a low shoulder.

This is what I'm thinking myself....

Re: Dewey's question, this happens with more than one jacket (both new and used) and so I'm guessing it's an anatomical issue rather than a clothing issue...

Cordovan

Reaction score
+ 1. Having had the issue myself, it's again one of the reasons to go bespoke.

Cordovan

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In my experience, the number one reason for opening vents is not a tight coat, but a short back balance. If so, you can let the coat out all you want, and the vents will still kick.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
In my experience, the number one reason for opening vents is not a tight coat, but a short back balance. If so, you can let the coat out all you want, and the vents will still kick.

I'm sorry but would you mind explaining the short back balance part in a little bit more detail?

I just did a quick search of the forum but didn't find anything explicitly.

I would definitely appreciate your guidance on this as it pertains to ways of rectifying, whether it be certain RTW brands to look out for or whether I'm doomed (or blessed) with having to go MTM/Bespoke...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
More than you ever wanted to know:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=44021

worship.gif

Amazing - thank you for this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics