• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Brands that Makes Narrow (3-3.25 inch) Tie?

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Thus far, the Charvet, Brioni ties I've seen all makes tie in the 3.5-4 width. Are there good quality tie brands that makes standard quality ties in the narrower, 3-3.25 width?

Only theory, BOO, some maybe some David Chu is like that

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Silver (some), Drakes (some), Church's (some), J. Crew (all, and yes, really - they do make decent/good narrow ties), RLBL (either 3" or 2.25"), PRL (some are 3.25", most 3.5"), Sam Hober (bespoke). If you can go up 0.25", RLPL and Dmitry NY (http://www.dmitryny.com/home.html) ties are 3.5", and are excellent. J. Press also makes 3.5" ties.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Ben Silver (some), Drakes (some), Church's (some), J. Crew (all, and yes, really - they do make decent/good narrow ties), RLBL (either 3" or 2.25"), PRL (some are 3.25", most 3.5"), Sam Hober (bespoke, but only so-so value as prices are $80-85 + shipping for... made in Thailand). If you can go up 0.25", RLPL and Dmitry NY (http://www.dmitryny.com/home.html) ties are 3.5", and are excellent. J. Press also makes 3.5" ties.
Apropos, Thank you for mentioning us. I am a little confused about your "made in Thailand" comment.... We are an American owned and managed company with family roots in a number of countries around the world. We have woven silk in Thailand for a very long time (where my wife Noina is from) and made clothes in America for more than 50 years. Our necktie silks are almost entirely from the finest traditional mills in Ireland, England and Italy. Our neckties are currently 100% made by Americans and we pay more for silk than other companies for logistical reasons. We are in Thailand primarily so our children can learn Thai culture, a couple of years ago we lived and worked in colorado because loved the incredible views great weather and friendly people. In the future we may move to the south of France where we have a home and family. We do have homes and farms in Thailand as well as a tiny Thai staff. Our Thai staff work primarily with pocket squares and errands like going to the post office. They are paid very well and treated like family. If you have ordered from us in the past and you do not feel that our ties are a big step above the brands that you mention in quality and friendly service please email me so that I can help you with a new tie or refund. If you have not ordered from us you may wish to consider placing an order later in the year when our backlog in orders is reduced to a more reasonable one month. Currently we have a long wait for new orders which we are working 7 days a week to reduce. Our wait time is certainly not pleasant for our new American clients. Being american and growing up mostly in America I understand their feelings. Clients in Europe seem to like fast turn-around but are more used to bespoke craftmenship so they rarely worry too much. Old clients often simply order ahead of when they need their ties. We are the only luxury tie maker in Thailand. Thailand is more of a weaving country historically than a sewing country. The attention that we pay to very small details is something that you will very rarely see at any price. The few bespoke makers left in Europe all tend to be quite a bit more than us and there costs are very similar if not lower than ours for making neckties primarily because of silk prices and our very slow and careful tie construction. Taking several hours to make a tie is not unusual. The makers that you mention take closer to half an hour. Thank you again for mentioning us - looking forward to hearing your thoughts and answering any questions that you may have about Thailand or silk.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't Jamison's "Howard Yount" ties 3.25-3.5? I hear they're pretty nice.

Sam Hober ties are wonderfully made and worth the money. Whether they are worth the wait is another story. I believe it now stands at close to six months, which is an awfully long time to wait for a tie, unless you are ordering 12 at a time.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Sam's the man, I can't believe you guys are ragging on him. From what I hear he makes a mean tie and a cool guy all around. A good amount of my customers have dealt with him in the past. Also his ties are NOT made in Thailand.

As for the OP question, our new collection due mid march with feature ties about 3.25" wide. PM to be added to my mailing list to be notified when they will be available.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Wow, Sam's the man, I can't believe you guys are ragging on him. From what I hear he makes a mean tie and a cool guy all around. A good amount of my customers have dealt with him in the past. Also his ties are NOT made in Thailand.

As for the OP question, our new collection due mid march with feature ties about 3.25" wide. PM to be added to my mailing list to be notified when they will be available.

Not that I think it effects the quality, because I love Sam Hober ties and am waiting for one now, but they ship from thailand and they have their workshop there. Sam is also a she, David's daughter. So David is the man;-).

http://www.samhober.com/policies/policies.htm
We ship from Bangkok, Thailand where we have our workshop in the Ramkamhaeng University district.
http://www.samhober.com/customerservice/faqs.htm
We are based in Buayai, a small town in Isan, the silk region of Thailand. Where we make all our ties, pocket squares and scarves very slowly by hand.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Aren't Jamison's "Howard Yount" ties 3.25-3.5? I hear they're pretty nice. Sam Hober ties are wonderfully made and worth the money. Whether they are worth the wait is another story. I believe it now stands at close to six months, which is an awfully long time to wait for a tie, unless you are ordering 12 at a time.
Knitteguy, 6 months is an awfully long time to wait for 12 ties also - I agree completely..... Charles, Thank you for your kind words I will pass them on to Sam (who is my 3 year old daughter Samantha) Our ties, pocket squares and scarves are currently made in our Bangkok workshop located in the Ramkamhaeng University district. We have farmed mulberry leaves, raised silk worms, hand dyed and woven silk in Thailand for a long time and will continue to do so for as far as I can see. we will also expand our silk printing after we catch up. We love Thailand very much as do most people who have visited the country and are we are very happy to be working here. Especially when we talk to clients and suppliers in England during the winter. Actually no one is "ragging on us" One gentleman Apropos, I think is not actually familiar with our work and if he was would be very happy with what we do. In this internet age people often scan data and when they slow down and look more closely interesting facts are observed... GradStudent 78, Thank you for your kind words and the information and your patience in waiting for your tie. Noina my wife should not be left out as she is the one who actually makes the patterns for every tie. Which brings us full circle to the OPs question. We are very happy to make narrow ties and we will work with you on the construction and length and width etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads