• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bigsink

Reaction score
Here is a picture that demonstrates the difference between the Colorodo BD and the President spread and how they cover the middle of the neck.

President

shb9Et4l.jpg

Colorodo

byfYnp4l.jpg

So I'm wondering if I should shorten the Colorodo collar, or lower the button to get some breathing air?

Here's a pic of the neck back
CMmOIBxl.jpg
which is probably not necessary since the collar roll is there regardless.

cyclemanic

Reaction score
@bigsink it might come down to how, with a non-BD collar, most of the mass is "sticking out" (so to speak), in turn adding additional weight on the placket and thus making it open up. In contrast, the centre of mass of a BD collar is closer in. Just my thoughts...

Last edited:

AriG

Reaction score
@bigsink it might come down to how, with a non-BD collar, most of the mass is "sticking out" (so to speak), in turn adding additional weight on the placket and thus making it open up. In contrast, the centre of mass of a BD collar is closer in. Just my thoughts...
Yes, that is obv it. A spread and a BD collar are never going to lay or open up the same, I don't quite see how that's a surprise to anyone ...

Bonzai

Reaction score
I've been ordering some dress shirts from PC and have nailed a good slim fit down. I'm interested in ordering some casual/linen shirts as well, how would y'all recommend adjusting my measurements to compensate for a casual shirt that could be worn tucked or untucked?

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to adjust for material (linen) and you need to adjust if it will be a popover. THey have some good reference material on their site for popovers. IME, they under-adjust for shrinkage for linen and linen-cotton blends. The untucked thing i dont do, so i dont have an adjustment idea there.

Bonzai

Reaction score
Thanks, was planning on doing a standard soft placket. I'm only curious to how many inches should be added to chest and waist to make a slightly more relaxed, but not baggy look. I'm not sure if there is a standard to go on..

I'm also torn between going Ivy BD, or doing a president collar. Would the standard President II look out of place on a linen/cotton shirt?

Thanks!

JFetter

Reaction score
Just received my first shirt, and would like some opinions on what measurements I should change.

One wash, hang dry.
Overall happy with everything except the midsection/bottom width.
Sleeves feel too long so I will remove .5"
Sleeve width seems good except forearms I think are too narrow looking.

Last edited:

smit388

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on the fit of my shirt. This is after multiple wears so shrinkage should be accounted for already. Also, ignore the wrinkles, this was at the end of a particularly bad day. I think I may have a shoulder slope issue and/or yoke length problem. Also, the shirt is already darted but is there any way to clean up the lower back?

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFetter

is that a single or double pleat forearm?.....they do look a bit tight there....

tuck shirt in a bit better and we can judge better...and u could iron it.

Smitt

looks good overall......yoke looks fine...Id say it s a good fit.

u could try trimming the shirt a wee bit more down low....how is the abdomen when u sit..does it pull?

I don't think u can get a real bespoke fit w/PC....but it gets close enuf at a good price.

Last edited:

smit388

Reaction score

JFetter

is that a single or double pleat forearm?.....they do look a bit tight there....

tuck shirt in a bit better and we can judge better...and u could iron it.

Smitt

looks good overall......yoke looks fine...Id say it s a good fit.

u could try trimming the shirt a wee bit more down low....how is the abdomen when u sit..does it pull?

I don't think u can get a real bespoke fit w/PC....but it gets close enuf at a good price.

It doesn't pull but I could probably only take it down a quarter inch. No shoulder slope adjustment needed?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads