• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Charles single-breasted jacket

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes it is. The internet invented the idea that they're incorrect. Notch lapels have been common and correct on dinner jackets since the invention of semi-formal eveningwear- at one point in one of these threads I dug up some photos from the 30's of a black tie event showing notch, peak, and shawl present in roughly equal proportion. The iGent rule sprung up from the fact that most tuxedos/DJs being sold today are of the cheap, two button, notch lapel variety, making it wise to differentiate yourself from that look. That morphed into "only peak or shawl is ever correct", which got preached to a bunch of people coming on forums like this who didn't know any better. Very similar to the 'black suits are and always have been evil' myth, now that I think about it.

Prince Charles' dinner jacket in that photo is entirely correct and proper. Looks good on him too, though these days he favors (what else) a double breasted one.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm aware of the website. While it is generally very good, it's not perfect, and reflects the iGent bias against notch lapels, despite hosting things like this ad from 1929:

If you want to avoid notch lapels, fine. I'd even argue that it's indeed wise to do so, considering the preponderance of ****** notch lapeled rentals. But the idea that the classic rules held them to be incorrect, or that they didn't exist- it's crap. A modern invention.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An ad from that time period doesn't mean it was "correct" to wear notch lapels then or that it was seen as sartorially correct by those in the know. An ad today means nothing. I doubt it meant much more back then.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Prince Charles looks elegant in this single-breasted suit. Note the tone-on-tone match between the shirt and tie in the spirit of his grand-uncle:

RyanM

Reaction score

An ad from that time period doesn't mean it was "correct" to wear notch lapels then or that it was seen as sartorially correct by those in the know. An ad today means nothing. I doubt it meant much more back then.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes it is. The internet invented the idea that they're incorrect. Notch lapels have been common and correct on dinner jackets since the invention of semi-formal eveningwear- at one point in one of these threads I dug up some photos from the 30's of a black tie event showing notch, peak, and shawl present in roughly equal proportion. The iGent rule sprung up from the fact that most tuxedos/DJs being sold today are of the cheap, two button, notch lapel variety, making it wise to differentiate yourself from that look. That morphed into "only peak or shawl is ever correct", which got preached to a bunch of people coming on forums like this who didn't know any better. Very similar to the 'black suits are and always have been evil' myth, now that I think about it.

Prince Charles' dinner jacket in that photo is entirely correct and proper. Looks good on him too, though these days he favors (what else) a double breasted one.

Thank you! God these wrongisms drove me nuts a year or two ago, vs. foo I think.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A movie doesn't mean anything either. That's hardly evidence of anything. Have you seen what actors wear, both in movies and in real life? Dumb!

It's hard evidence of a very high profile very well dressed '60's man in a notch lapel tux, which is all it claims to be.

The hypothesis being disproved is that only peak is OK and it used to be that way. This is one example showing otherwise.

Dummy.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard evidence of stupidity. Movies prove nothing. James Bond also wears dive watches with suits and dinner jackets. Anyone who thinks that's great (or follows those trends) is fooling themselves.

Dummy!

Last edited:

RyanM

Reaction score
Ok, well here's Fred Astaire wearing a notch lapel tux at an awards ceremony in '81. Although I'm sure you'll say that award ceremonies aren't acceptable either, or that '81 is too modern, or that Fred Astaire doesn't know what he's doing, etc.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, well here's Fred Astaire wearing a notch lapel tux at an awards ceremony in '81. Although I'm sure you'll say that award ceremonies aren't acceptable either, or that '81 is too modern, or that Fred Astaire doesn't know what he's doing, etc.

Everyone know's Astaire shopped at Men's Warehouse...

:facepalm:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads